July 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering

1234568»

Comments

• Let me start bby saying, WOW! So many great images. I am loving watching those who used the feedback and redid the images. The differences can be seen! Way to go guys on the improvements that you have made in just the past few weeks!

Getting back into daz after 2-3 years? I have dabled for about 10 days with in those years, but nothing ever consistant. I was given a shot with a client to really push the boundaries so here I am, back at it. I have been looking at tutorials for IRay for the past month and I seem to never get close to what is expected from fellow co-workers, however, compared to where I started, I can see huge improvement. I only wish render times where not so high. Stopped it at 1200 max samples and this still took 2 hours. (which for my purposes as speed is key to production, isn't too great). 

Sp_Girl_test2.jpg
    560 x 800 - 214K
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    ItsCeo said:
    Noswen said:

Late second post from me. I've been tweaking some settings on characters after reading through some forum posts and managed to get one that seems to have gone well. Pity I didn't get round to this earlier in the month because a lot of this picture is luck and I'd like to have tried to replicate it deliberately. And something just feels not quite right about the eyes still.

Did you do the "eyes follow camera' thing?  I've noticed whenever I do that and it is looking to the side, that the farthest away eye always seems off to me.  When I have the camera set, I undo the follow camera on that farthest away eye and then adjust it. 

I didn't know there was a setting for this, I've always been pointing eyes manually.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    Aloreea said:

Ok, here's one more. This one's supposed to have a cyberpunk feel to it. This will be my second.

I really like your style and this picture has a wonderful melancholic atmosphere. Maybe the lower part is a little to dark, but her glowing earring is a great eye catcher.yes

• I decided to not make any further modifications so this will be my submission.

Wallflowers

Software Used: DAZ Studio 4.9 and Filter Forge 6

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited August 2017

Made a few surface adjustments, so this should be it.

july2017g.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited August 2017

Just thought I'd post my two entries again as it's a few days since I last looked at this thread

Monie

Brayden

I've learnt quite a bit about lighting from this month's comments. I'm impressed with what others have achieved using Depth of Field which is something I still struggle with.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285

tkz said:

Another round for one last chance at some feedback... :)

Toned down the saturday night look...

@Aloreea That last one looks great!

Thank you so much!

daybird said:
    Aloreea said:

Ok, here's one more. This one's supposed to have a cyberpunk feel to it. This will be my second.

I really like your style and this picture has a wonderful melancholic atmosphere. Maybe the lower part is a little to dark, but her glowing earring is a great eye catcher.yes

Thanks so much ! also, I did notice how dark it is towards the bottom. I'm not sure what happened. Because when I view it from my desktop, it 's a lighter purple at the bottom. XD, oh well I'll have to fix it later.

It's really bothering me right now.

• NastyHeadwoundNastyHeadwound Posts: 31
    edited August 2017

Holy moly, I go away for a few days and the thread really cuts loose! Sorry for the lack of commentary on the latest posts, but I ended up in the hospital with a septic infection in my knee.

I'll sum it up by saying I had a great time participating in my first contest and best of luck to everyone who posted... fantastic work all around!

Including a link back to my final image attachment since it's been quite a while...

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Holy moly, I go away for a few days and the thread really cuts loose! Sorry for the lack of commentary on the latest posts, but I ended up in the hospital with a septic infection in my knee.

I'll sum it up by saying I had a great time participating in my first contest and best of luck to everyone who posted... fantastic work all around!

Including a link back to my final image attachment since it's been quite a while...

Sorry to here about your knee, I wish you well with that.

• WolfieWolfie Posts: 39

Hello all you guys!

So i was playing around with DS this evening and thought i'd make a contribution to the new user challenge. I've been using DS for a couple of months, and needless to say i am still learning and honing my skills. At the moment i'm away from my main rig, so i decided to do some rendering on my laptop. Iray renders were out of the question (business laptop), so i decided to play around with 3Delight. I'm positively surprised with how capable 3Delight actually is. This is what i came up with.

"Cosmic Spin"

Software used: DAZ 3D Studio 4.9. Model: Victoria 7 with Adriana hair for G3F by Wolfie. All of her clothing is from Little Secret II for G3F by Pretty 3D.

My idea with the render was to capture a clockwise spinning/dancing motion that slows down throghout the image series, and something that also gives the image noticable depth (love working with DOF!). I made 6 renders in total and included 2 of them here in the contest.

Really happy with this new found hobby; finally i can release my creativity through something. Any and all unput much appriceated!

Gorgeous work!  I love the lighting, and the colours!

~Wolfie~

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Should be obvious but I'll say it anyway, the challenge is now closed ;)

• tkztkz Posts: 149

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814

I will be announcing the winners tomorrow. smiley

• tkztkz Posts: 149

:)

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited August 2017

July 2017

Showcased Participants for the July Portrait Rendering Challenge

Picture Perfect - For this showcase we chose the person who best portrayed a closeup portrait render.

For those reasons we have selected Lomrik to showcase smiley

Reflection of Me - For this showcase we chose the the person who created a portrait image that not only showed the person but gave a view in to the subjects style or life as part of the portrait.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was NastyHeadwound

Memories - For this showcase we chose the person who created a portrait image that conveyed a feeling or moment to be remembered.

The New User we felt best showcased those things this month was RD3D Industries
    image  image

New User - Welcome

Twisty and High Elf

image  image  image

Lomrik.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 57K
    NastyHeadWound.png
    1620 x 1080 - 3M
    RD3D1.jpg
    927 x 1500 - 109K
    RD3D2.jpg
    1167 x 1500 - 48K
    Twisty.png
    1236 x 1600 - 4M
    HighElf1.jpg
    1086 x 1536 - 120K
    HighElf2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 121K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • I'm honored to have been selected and congrats to the other selectees! I had a great time watching everyones' progression as the contest went on... fantastic work by all!

Thanks again for the kind words and advice. My Daz Studio skills progressed a great deal during the creation of my image. I hope others found my advice useful as well.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

Woohoo glad to be here. And thank you all for the welcome. :D

• Thank you for the welcome and thank you for choosing my pictures for the memories category!

• daybird said:
    Aloreea said:

I'd say the oposite, It's a great image but I find the shoulders destracting. It's a fantastic low key image. If you can lose the shoulders more in the darknes or crop them out (perhaps a square crop) it will be spot on.

daybird said:
    Aloreea said:

I'd say the oposite, It's a great image but I find the shoulders destracting. It's a fantastic low key image. If you can lose the shoulders more in the darknes or crop them out (perhaps a square crop) it will be spot on.

Hmm, ok. I kinda see what you're talking about. The shoulders do mess up the flow a little. When I get a chance, I'll fade the shoulders into the darkness a bit. Thanks!