How do I get a metallic reflection?

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have a prop with some metal on it (the surface is even called metal on the prop), but I can't seem to get it to look metallic (ie a mirror reflection type surface). The lighting model is set to "metal", I have tried varying "glossiness", specular strength and all sorts.

What should the surface settings be?

Comments

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Actually, it's ok, I loaded a chrome shader preset onto it and it's great now.

Thanks

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    Actually, it's ok, I loaded a chrome shader preset onto it and it's great now.

Thanks

One trick with a Chrome shader preset, (such as the FreeUltimate Shader Pack Chrome shaders), they come with reflection maps for use with renders without backgrounds. If you want to actually show the reflections of things around the object, you need to remove the reflection map and apply the color of your choice to the reflection parameter in the Surfaces tab.
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

For a mirror reflection, check this thread in the old forum.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=16922

mac

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited March 2013

If you want to actually show the reflections of things around the object, you need to remove the reflection map and apply the color of your choice to the reflection parameter in the Surfaces tab.

Note that when you do this, you should also check to make sure other objects in the scene are (a) illuminated by your lights, and (b) are in the right position to be reflected off your shiny object so the camera can see them. Frequently this means they'll be behind the camera, or off to the side out of its field of view.
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

good point. Thanks all.