WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, March 2013.

Comments

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

@Szark I really liked the change the 35mm lense made. Thank-you. Also tried getting closer to the focal points-you were right, had to go for her expression more than the hand. Thanks again for the help!

Blackness_5a2.jpg
    438 x 603 - 88K
  • edited December 1969

Here's an updated version of the Smithy, I didn't have the muscle morphs so I purchased them today and this is my first go with them. Might have gone a bit overboard with them and all the names are in Latin (I think) so I will have to look at some anatomy images to work out where they are.

Also I am trying something new -for me- in this render by making my own environment map for the UE2 lights. They are really only blurred .tiff images so I put one together in Photoshop and it seems to be working OK. It's also posted below.

LightExp1.jpg
    900 x 450 - 86K
    smithy02.png
    1000 x 800 - 2M
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited December 1969

Looking much better, but I would put a glove of some sort on his left hand, or add some smoke in postwork from the burning flesh ;-)

• edited December 1969

Thanks Totte, there will be gloves in the final render they,re just hidden at the moment.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

@bluemoon: Looking good! I think your custom UE2 map is working well...I like the results.

@SGCBearcub: This is coming along nicely too. The hand is much improved from your original post, and the lighting is significantly better as well. Interesting expression...to me she looks fearful and revolted, and sad, but not necessarily surprised...almost as if this is something that she had anticipated--and was dreading (the hands of Death?)... Not sure if this was your intent, though.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Scott. Might play with it some more and see if I can contain the really hot colours in the furnace.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

bluemoon said:
    Here's an updated version of the Smithy, I didn't have the muscle morphs so I purchased them today and this is my first go with them. Might have gone a bit overboard with them and all the names are in Latin (I think) so I will have to look at some anatomy images to work out where they are.

Also I am trying something new -for me- in this render by making my own environment map for the UE2 lights. They are really only blurred .tiff images so I put one together in Photoshop and it seems to be working OK. It's also posted below.

This is looking great. The UE2 tiff is doing a good job of adding the HEAT to the forge. I'm looking for just a bit more... Strength in the pose. To me it's still not dynamic enough. More lean into the work and an expression of Grunt or Effort on the smithies face would help add to it as well.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail, I will give that a try. The initial force of the blow should come from the hip with the upper body and arm providing the momentum. I did a few practice swings to work that out.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Bluemoon, you could do what we were doing in the July NU contest, and actuall try finding an image of someone doing what you want that is clear enough to superimpose on your figure to check the pose and correct it. I am not certain if you joined in with that one

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3450/P15/#45245

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:

Do you adjust each muscle or did you use Flexion. Flexion works best to get good muscle movement and then you ca use the dials to accentuate them more if needed.
    edited December 1969

@Szark I really liked the change the 35mm lense made. Thank-you. Also tried getting closer to the focal points-you were right, had to go for her expression more than the hand. Thanks again for the help!

My pleasure, looks good.
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Here is a basic "Hands on Hips". I hope it shows enough of the hands. I used three different views so you could see where the thumbs are located. This is my first try at something like this. Looks simple but it took me a while to get the pose right.
    First pose straight at ya

MikailaHands1.jpg
    846 x 772 - 418K
    edited December 1969

Second Pose from the side

MikailaHands2.jpg
    846 x 772 - 431K
    edited December 1969

Third pose from the opposite side.

MikailaHands3.jpg
    846 x 772 - 432K
  • edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Do you adjust each muscle or did you use Flexion. Flexion works best to get good muscle movement and then you ca use the dials to accentuate them more if needed.

I adjusted each muscle (couldn't find the flexions):red:

I have now, reset everything and did it again.:)

Lowered the anvil and have the smithy leaning more into the job, what do you think?

smithy-03.jpg
    645 x 800 - 231K
  • XandoryXandory Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Spmwc, is she exasperated, angry, BEYOND UPSET or posing for someone? You have the right idea, but put your hands on your hips and observe the thumb. The forefinger and thumb have a natural curve the cups the hips, while the other fingers fall loosely. So far it's going great. Also, watch the shoulders! Shoulders are huge to how the hand rests. Hands on hips, even in BEYOND UPSET, they are relaxed and lowered. :D

• XandoryXandory Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Bluemoon, looking really good. I love the spark, and there's more dynamic there. The one thing I'd also recommend for you is lower that shoulder. A raised shoulder would decrease the strength in the arm, thus the hand, a LOT, even in a simple tap nail into board hammer motion. Currently, it looks like he just made his strike, and is just starting to draw his hand back for another blow. Everything else is great, and the shoulder should just be a few tweaks.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

@SGCBearcub: This is coming along nicely too. The hand is much improved from your original post, and the lighting is significantly better as well. Interesting expression...to me she looks fearful and revolted, and sad, but not necessarily surprised...almost as if this is something that she had anticipated--and was dreading (the hands of Death?)... Not sure if this was your intent, though.

Thank-you! I mostly wanted apprehension, but leaving the question open as too whether the hand was friend or foe.

edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Szark said:

I adjusted each muscle (couldn't find the flexions):red:

I have now, reset everything and did it again.:)

Lowered the anvil and have the smithy leaning more into the job, what do you think?That looks so much better now.

Here is where you can find Genesis Flexion control. It is under the Posing Pane as shown below.

flexion.jpg
    469 x 448 - 93K
    edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    Here is a basic "Hands on Hips". I hope it shows enough of the hands. I used three different views so you could see where the thumbs are located. This is my first try at something like this. Looks simple but it took me a while to get the pose right.
    First pose straight at ya
    Great start spmwc. Trying lowering the shoulders via the Collar controls...looks like she is in a bit of pain. Yes she looks a tad upset but even someone upset will have the shoulders a little more relaxed than that IMHO.
    edited March 2013

Thank you Xandory for your reply and suggestions. I lowered her shoulders and put her hands in a better position this time(I Hope). I see what you meant about the thumbs. they were way to high on her back. Here is another attempt. I really like the bracers on her but I thought I should remove them to give a better look at her hands. Still working on her expression. I'm trying for a sort of challenging look but can't quite get it right yet. Thanks for the encouragement!!!:)

MalaikaHandsNew4.jpg
    846 x 772 - 418K
    Post edited by spmwc on
    edited December 1969

Here is a back view showing her thumbs:)

MalaikaHandsNew3.jpg
    846 x 772 - 400K
    edited December 1969

Thank you Szark for the encouragement. I messed with her collarbones in the first attempt and that is why she looks like she is in pain. I should have left them alone and just lowered her shoulders like you suggested. I did that in the two photos above. here is a side view to go along with the others.:)

MalaikaHandsNew1.jpg
    846 x 772 - 420K
    edited December 1969

much better..so much better. Nicely posed now. :)

edited March 2013

Szark said:
    much better..so much better. Nicely posed now. :)
    I hate to disagree Szark but I do. It looks very good from some angles but not all. Look at the Gap here (See Arrow), and I bet the other side is the same.

The good part is ONLY one image can be entered so if it LOOKS good in that render that is all that matters.
    I'm sorry to have messed up your Image spmwc by the way.
    MalaikaHandsNew1_help.jpg
    846 x 772 - 375K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Well spotted dude. :P

edited March 2013

Thanx Jaderail, I knew about the gap(yes it was the same on the other side) and was wondering if I should close it or not. I went ahead and closed the gap on both sides and you are right it does look better. I could have entered the front view without closing the gap but I wanted to get it right. Don't worry about messing up the photo, it helps when you have a visual to go by, besides it's just a copy. Any other suggestions would be very welcome.:)

MalaikaHandsAdjusted1.jpg
    846 x 772 - 405K
    Post edited by spmwc on
    edited December 1969

Here is the other side.:)

MalaikaHandsAdjusted2.jpg
    846 x 772 - 402K
    edited December 1969

Looking VERY good to me now. Add some Dramatic lighting and lets see it again, Please.

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Okay, my initial thought for this contest was to do a flute player, then I went into my content to grab the flute and spotted the harp. Which immediately gave me a flashback of some nicely done video footage of a group called Avalon Rising. So I grabbed a frame from the video and went to town. I originally had the long sleeved dress, but the dratted sleeves were getting in the way, and making me crazy getting them positioned right. Bye-bye sleeves. I changed the pose and angles a little bit, rather than making an exact duplicate, because I liked 'em better.
    Anyway, here's the image I used as inspiration (first), and my first test renders, composited in Photoshop (second). Any and all comments welcome.
    Oh, and regarding render settings, these aren't final. I dropped 'em down for speed and will improve them later. :)

march_test2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 503K
    harp_hands.png
    1800 x 1200 - 907K