Did the Install Manager complicate things instead of speeding things up? [solved]

EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
edited March 2013 in New Users

Hi, question for anyone who can help.

I downloaded Daz 4.5, the 64 bit free version. ( I do have a 64-bit system). I then used the Install manager to automatically download and install all the content I have. Then I opened Daz 4.5 and I registered with the serial number. I closed Daz 4.5 and reopened it, but when I try to find content, all I see are boxes with exclamation points and if I click on on one, it says file does not exist.

I've attached an image of my screen so you can see something of what I see.

The install manager says it installed the content to c:/users/public/documents/My Daz 3D Library, but as far as I can tell it installed it to a slightly different place c:/users/public/public documents/My Daz 3D Library. I have a feeling that doesn't matter.

I just went and tried to download and install an individual content (mk railway carriage) instead of using the install manager to download it. When I downloaded/installed it individually, the software installed itself on yet another directory: c:/users/john/mydocuments/daz3d/studio/mylibrary/
which as I recall was where content was set to download when I used Daz a couple of years ago (that version of Daz is no longer on my computer).

Any tips from anyone would be appreciated...

daz_content_missing_2.png
1340 x 552 - 121K
Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The default install location in Install Manager and the default content location in DS are different -- you need to change one or the other so they match.

• EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
    edited March 2013

Thank you fixmypcmike,

How do I know which is which, and make them match?

Why doesn't the Install Manager warn people about that? Or does it, and I didn't see it?

Do I need to uninstall everything now, and start over?

UPDATE:
    Thank you fixmypcmike, I think maybe I fixed it, with your help. Went into the content directory manager and changed the old directory to the new content directory chosen by the install manager.

Post edited by EdwardEdwardEdward on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The default for Install Manager in Windows 7 is
    c:\users\public\documents\My DAZ 3D Library

In DS, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager
    Open "DAZ Studio Formats", add the path above, and remove the path that's there currently.
    Repeat with "Poser Formats".
    That'll fix things.

• EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

Yep, looks like that's going to do it. Thank you fixmypcmike!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

Edited thread title so it isn't breaking the page layout.