Caput Caseum (old is new)

Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
edited March 2013 in The Commons

Is the version of Caput Caseum on sale now t he same as the one available last October? I see "new" on the item, but I purchased someting that looks the same last year.

Post edited by Salem2007 on

Comments

• RonSRonS Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

I'd like to know too, I purchased the Caput Caseum and textures in early November - that's nearly 4 months ago, so what is "new" about this version?

• winmathwinmath Posts: 131
    edited March 2013

It's definitely not new. It came out a few months ago. The SKU number is 14819 and the new item #s are > 15000

Post edited by winmath on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited December 1969

Both it and the textures show as "Purchased" for me. Bought it quite awhile ago, can't see how it's supposed to be new. Unless maybe they updated it since, and we have to reset our downloads to get the new version?

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

It was apparently a special thing when it came out last fall, because it was taken out of the store as soon as that special ended. Now it is back, I guess for real this time. I imagine something similar will happen with that Katumi dress.

• DifferentlyAliveDifferentlyAlive Posts: 38
    edited March 2013

Yes, I purchased this last year and the store shows it. Love that feature! But it is not showing up in the DIM yet....

...oops, my bad. It is there under my installed tab :)

Post edited by DifferentlyAlive on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730
    edited December 1969

These are not new either (and their SKUs are in the 13000 range):

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/sport-trainer-shoe-pack-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/mitsu-hair-for-genesis

They were actually sold as part of "Classics Bundle for Genesis" back in October 2011. There are currently several other items from that package in the NEW category.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Sounds like the "new" flag is a mistake. It doesn't show "purchased" fo rme, but I see it in my purchase history...no biggie!

Maybe "new" implies "new to March Madness"?

edited March 2013

Linda said:
    It's definitely not new. It came out a few months ago. The SKU number is 14819 and the new item #s are > 15000

Not always it seems - this one for example is a couple of weeks old, but the SKU is 14513::

http://www.daz3d.com/moonlit-moonshines-diner-interior-noir

Lady Elf Hair for Genesis has SKU 14516, and it's about a year old.

There are a lot of "holes" with no items all over the SKU list right from 0 and up to16000, it looks like they sometimes are filling new stuff into some of them. Or maybe it's old stuff they've just been waiting to release until now.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Or maybe it's old stuff they've just been waiting to release until now.

I bet generally it is this. They frequently seem to hoard up stock of DAZ O's and PC items for specific times or promos, like MM, or to round out the releases for certain PC weeks, or as a freebie.

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

The Royal Guardsman for Michael 5 is also from last year and even with the buildable sale of up to 50% off items still work out slightly more expensive this time around

edited March 2013

Taozen said:

I bet generally it is this. They frequently seem to hoard up stock of DAZ O's and PC items for specific times or promos, like MM, or to round out the releases for certain PC weeks, or as a freebie.
    It's interesting though that the Moonshine's bundle which was one of the first items in the series has the higest SKU number. Wonder if they have changed it at some point, or what.

moonshine1.gif
    485 x 269 - 8K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

I edited the title since it seems like other items fall into this "old is new" category. It's not a big deal, really, but if the "purchased" flag doesn't work (for me it does sometimes and doesn't others) it could be confusing. It's worth checking your histroy before you buy.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:

It's interesting though that the Moonshine's bundle which was one of the first items in the series has the higest SKU number. Wonder if they have changed it at some point, or what.

Well, this makes sense, right? If you are DAZ, you are going to, if you have the luxury, gather up all the items that might conceivably be in a planned bundle, but not create the bundle product itself until you've got them all ready and decided how you are going to release the things, and what's going in the initial bundle and what's going to be separate but still launch concurrently, or come out in a later release, etc.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

This is *new* I believe as it was a PC only limited time, limited availability release. It is actually *new* in regards to the general population, and no one that took advantage of getting it during the limited release.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Caput Caseum!? o_O The Head is Cheese, or something like that?

edited March 2013

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:

Well, this makes sense, right? If you are DAZ, you are going to, if you have the luxury, gather up all the items that might conceivably be in a planned bundle, but not create the bundle product itself until you've got them all ready and decided how you are going to release the things, and what's going in the initial bundle and what's going to be separate but still launch concurrently, or come out in a later release, etc.
    Not sure if I understand the logic behind what you're saying here, or if you're being sarcastic about the way DAZ is doing things?

In any case, I checked a copy of the product page for the bundle at the time it was released some months ago, and it was actually the same as it is now, whatever that means.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:
    Taozen said:

Not sure if I understand the logic behind what you're saying here, or if you're being sarcastic about the way DAZ is doing things?

In any case, I chedked a copy of the product page for the bundle at the time it was released some months ago, and it was actually the same as it is now, whatever that means.

Heh, I actually wasn't being sarcastic. :) All I meant was, DAZ probably gives products SKUs before they are released, and in some cases, well before. In the situation of the Moonshine's stuff, they might know, OK, this is going to be our big PC Anniversary theme, and there's going to be a bundle. So months ahead of time, Jack Tomalin makes the main sets, and those get an SKU in the high 13000s. (In fact they were probably ready for March Madness of 2012, given that SKUs in the 13000s were being released that spring, and DAZ decided, wait, lets keep this for the Anniversary, who knows) Other artists make the other products based on the main objects and theme over a period of months, and they get SKUs running the gamut of the 14000s. And then they wait until October to actually decide what goes into the bundle and what doesn't, and the bundle gets an SKU in the low 15000s. And then in subsequent weeks and months, more of the held-back pieces that were not in the bundle are finally released, with SKUs that fall below the bundle's.

As a less extreme example, Aiko 5 base was probably ready first of her products, and has an SKU of 15582, while her bundles have SKUs 15840 &15841;, and the items built for her that are in the bundle have SKUs in between those points. The Moonshines stuff is a pretty wide range, and I think it possibly has to do with them not being quite sure at first when they'd release it, or just wanting plenty of lead time to make all the stuff to accompany it :)

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    In any case, I chedked a copy of the product page for the bundle at the time it was released some months ago, and it was actually the same as it is now, whatever that means.

Heh, I actually wasn't being sarcastic. :) All I meant was, DAZ probably gives products SKUs before they are released, and in some cases, well before. In the situation of the Moonshine's stuff, they might know, OK, this is going to be our big PC Anniversary theme, and there's going to be a bundle. So months ahead of time, Jack Tomalin makes the main sets, and those get an SKU in the high 13000s. (In fact they were probably ready for March Madness of 2012, given that SKUs in the 13000s were being released that spring, and DAZ decided, wait, lets keep this for the Anniversary, who knows) Other artists make the other products based on the main objects and theme over a period of months, and they get SKUs running the gamut of the 14000s. And then they wait until October to actually decide what goes into the bundle and what doesn't, and the bundle gets an SKU in the low 15000s. And then in subsequent weeks and months, more of the held-back pieces that were not in the bundle are finally released, with SKUs that fall below the bundle's.

As a less extreme example, Aiko 5 base was probably ready first of her products, and has an SKU of 15582, while her bundles have SKUs 15840 &15841;, and the items built for her that are in the bundle have SKUs in between those points. The Moonshines stuff is a pretty wide range, and I think it possibly has to do with them not being quite sure at first when they'd release it, or just wanting plenty of lead time to make all the stuff to accompany it :)

OK, thanks for elaborating, I understand what you mean now... :)

edited December 1969

Taozen said:

OK, thanks for elaborating, I understand what you mean now... :)

Sure. Sorry if I got a bit long-winded, I have a tendency to do that, heh.

Anyway it's interesting what DAZ does with their releases, sometimes it makes some sense to me, and sometimes it's puzzling... as in the case of these items released on preview in the fall and then re-released now, more than 4 months later. Why that long and why these items...? :blank: