Content DB Editor changes PITA

I am trying to list a product for Smart Content and it seems the changes to the Content DB Editor have made this more difficult. Almost ready to uninstall 4,9.4 for the time I've wasted this morning. Was this update done so that only content sold at DAZ3D can now use Smart Content? Store options are now Local User or DAZ. Why not an Other for store? Also I can't get it to place the material files (3Delight and Iray) in the product library or Smart Content. I'm doing it the same way I did it before the update. So if anyone knows how to do this since the upgrade can they let me know please? I have a deadline and will just go back to the older version (which I fortunately have saved) if I have to to get this done.

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,140

The only thing that changed with regard to stores listed in the Content DB Editor is that the LOCAL USER store (the fallback/catch-all) is actually listed now instead of the text for the entry being blank; the underlying functionality is exactly the same as it has been. Additional stores have never been listed as an option unless they were first added to the database; There are script samples that deal with stores @ http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#stores.

• The only thing that changed with regard to stores listed in the Content DB Editor is that the LOCAL USER store (the fallback/catch-all) is actually listed now instead of the text for the entry being blank; the underlying functionality is exactly the same as it has been. Additional stores have never been listed as an option unless they were first added to the database; There are script samples that deal with stores @ http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#stores.

Hmmm thanks but since I don't script I have no way to figure out how to put together a script to add a store in a short time period. If I use LOCAL USER will that affect the files in any different way to the way it was before? Anyway that is not the only problem. The materials are not getting saved to the Product Library or Smart Content. I did it exactly the same way as I did before upgrading to 4.9.4 but they just aren't being added. Only the prop.

•  

cridgit said:

I suggest you go back to the previous version you were using for now, if you have a deadline (this will only be possible if you backed up your CMS database and user metadata, otherwise you'll need to reinstall ALL your DAZ content and you will lose all your non-DAZ metadata). There were a number of changes made in 4.9.3 and 4.9.4 which are causing many of us similiar grief. I have >40 tickets open currently but it looks like its going to take a while to fix (some of mine have been open for 9 months or more).

40 tickets? Wow! I think I will have to uninstall back to 4.9.3. Besides the problem with the DB Editor I also found yesterday that the new version is not saving files (scenes, materials, etc) completely which is a real problem.If they are so far behind with tickets then uninstalling seems to be the only way to go. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited June 2017

The only thing that changed with regard to stores listed in the Content DB Editor is that the LOCAL USER store (the fallback/catch-all) is actually listed now instead of the text for the entry being blank; the underlying functionality is exactly the same as it has been. Additional stores have never been listed as an option unless they were first added to the database; There are script samples that deal with stores @ http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#stores.

Hmmm thanks but since I don't script I have no way to figure out how to put together a script to add a store in a short time period. If I use LOCAL USER will that affect the files in any different way to the way it was before? Anyway that is not the only problem. The materials are not getting saved to the Product Library or Smart Content. I did it exactly the same way as I did before upgrading to 4.9.4 but they just aren't being added. Only the prop.

The sample script is already written - obviously you will need to chnage a couple of variables for the store you wish to add, but you don't have to write it yourself. In http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/add_store_id/start the store name and URL are set in the very last line.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • The sample script is already written - obviously you will need to chnage a couple of variables for the store you wish to add, but you don't have to write it yourself. In http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/add_store_id/start the store name and URL are set in the very last line.

Thanks Richard. It wasn't only the store listing issue but the fact that I could not get the materials added. I've now gone back to 4.9.3 and it is all working again, just finishing up now. But I'll keep the link for the script for when I have some time to work on that.

• I also have a material not loading issue, as it's been a while (several versions ago) since i did any. i am in a bit if a bind. I did something, can't figure out what, but an entire materials file i created is just... screwy. I can't figure out what i screwed up either. the file looks like this in content database: unassigned>c:>users>liz>onedrive>documents>DAZ3D>studio>my library>presets>materials>Anime Candy and this is the ONLY way i seem to be able to even get the file to pull up at all. anywhere, i looked everywhere. the materials presets were created from/for a hair product, so I'm not sure why it's coming up under unassigned, and when i click on the file itself in daz 3d, NOTHING shows up, like theres nothing in the file. yet when i go into my windows file system... its all there, the .dufs and the matching png's. i tried to go into the content database editor and all i get is an error message saying "you must select a container that contains assets, within the content library pane, in order to use this utility. can anyone tell from what i said what i may have screwed up and how to fix it? i'm at a loss....

yes it was saved to the DAZ3D studio presets materials file right, and when  i pull it up in windoews file browser its all there, but it just doesnt show up in the actial content library in daz studio.

• It's not in Lost and Found? Can you see it in the Content Library, under Daz Studio Formats?

• not in lost and found.  let me see if i can attack a pic of the menu  that shows where it is. standby.

this is how it looks in windows files: .dufs and pngs are all there.

C:\Users\Liz\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Materials\Reinoa Hair Anime Candy Shaders

and here is how it pulled up in daz:

under catagories> default>unassigned>c:>users>liz>onedrive>documents>DAZ3D>studio>my library>presets>materials>Reinoa Hair Anime Candy shaders

then i 'moved it' to the location below thinking that would solve it.... nope.

ok, i can attach a doc or upload a pic.  its now been moved from unassigned to hair>hair colors> Reinoa hair anime candy shaders. still no pings or files load with the file name in daz though. and there is a 'U' on the icon and the icon is a faded grey color. does that help?

• emclean2014emclean2014 Posts: 27
    edited August 2018

although, in regards to lost and found, i have a TON of stuff thats not in there and cannot figure out how to fix that, they also have the same icon that has a 'U' and is greyed out. and the original reinoa hair product (that i didn't create) IS in the lost and found. could that be the issue? when i click on that nothing in the way of files pulls up to the the right of it in preview too.

Post edited by emclean2014 on
  • Lost and Found is justs tuff that isn't otherwise categorised. The U icon is for User data - that is, things with categories you applied, or that DS applied through saving, rather than using categories from the store (Vendor data).

Can you see the file in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats>my library>presets>materials>Reinoa Hair Anime Candy shaders? If not it would sound as if the c:>users>liz>onedrive>documents>DAZ3D>studio>my library is not set as a Daz Studio content directory, which would certainly be an issue. On the other hand, the fact that you also can't upload images may indicate an issue with your security software or other system software.

•  

Can you see the file in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats>my library>presets>materials>Reinoa Hair Anime Candy shaders? If not it would sound as if the c:>users>liz>onedrive>documents>DAZ3D>studio>my library is not set as a Daz Studio content directory, which would certainly be an issue. 

how would i go about seeing if thats the issue?

• Well, is there a My Library under Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library pane, and if there is does it have the files and folders from thec:>users>liz>onedrive>documents>DAZ3D>studio>my library folder in it? You can also look in Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager.

• Well, is there a My Library under Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library pane, and if there is does it have the files and folders from thec:>users>liz>onedrive>documents>DAZ3D>studio>my library folder in it? You can also look in Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager.

under the my library under daz studio formats, ther is NO materials menu at all. there should be right as a default? but there isn't. can you walk me through how to rectify this please? i've never had to fix a directory issue before. but i went through the ones in the lost and found and the unassigned menu choices and a majority are NOT showing product, just empty squares with a yellow triangle in it with an exclamation point. i've run a search of my drives for any missing directories and products and also reimported the meta data, is there something else you think i should try? and i have no idea how to fix the 'broken files' with all those yellow triangles either. suggestion? i'm open for any of them...

• It sounds as if your content diectories are not set to match your save locations 9and probably your isntall locations0. Please open the Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager dialogue, click to expand the current tree to show the paths in use, and post a screenshot.

• here it is

Doc2.jpg
    976 x 1380 - 45K
  • The paths don't match, at least as you are posting them here -

C:\Users\Liz\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\
    C:\Users\Liz\Desktop\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\

there's an extra "Desktop" in the path DS is looking at compared to the path you are saving to

• how and which one should i fix? in 4 yours i never had this issue pop up or had issues with missing things, and i didn't change anything manually either so i am not sure how this got messed up...

• Try saving to the C:\Users\Liz\Desktop\OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\ folder (then Preset/Materials in that, or whatever you like) and see if it works.

• emclean2014emclean2014 Posts: 27
    edited August 2018

you are the most amazing person!!!! thank you!!!! that bug is fixed, and now i know how to troubleshoot in the future if it happens again! BIG HUGS!!!!

Post edited by emclean2014 on
  • Great, glad that worked.

• so am i, i am now in the process of moving ALL my created presets, characters, objects and shaders to that directory to keep my sanity lol!