How do 3DL and Iray handle HD morphs differently?

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

In the other thread about the Minotaur 6 HD stuff, I was trying to help and ran across something basic.

The minotaur 6 HD details function almost completely differently. In 3DL, the details are smooth and, well, detailed. In Iray... they are somewhat messed up and angular. SubD doesn't seem to matter.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I think I've hit confusing similar things in other areas and just shrugged and shut off the HD details without realizing.

Um. What the what? Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Post edited by Oso3D on

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

You may not have your subdivision level turned up high enough to bring the details out correctly in Iray.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

At subd3 it wasn't noticeably different.

• 3 or 4 should be enough for everything. However, there is a significant difference between Iray and 3delight as far as SubD and displacement are concerned - Iray divides the mesh only to the set values (the maximum of the render SubD level and the Displacement Sub Division settings on all its surfaces - which is why Render SubD says (minimum) while 3Delight divides to the limit state given render settings.

True, but this isn't displacement, it's HD detail, which is what baffles me.

Ill do clay renders to illustrate when I can.

Ok, yeah, I'm full of baloney. I must not have actually checked 3 and 4... it looks ok in 3 and fine in 4, while in 3DL (because of aforementioned issues) even subd1 is fine.

(I really wish Daz would clean up and update/fix 3DL implementation, because... it really does some stuff just better)