Daz Studio ?

Ok, I am using Daz 4.8.0.59 Pro Edition (63-bit) and am having trouble with finding my content. I think this is why I haven't been using Daz. Yet I keep buying stuff for it. I open Daz, all folders are there for the content, but nothing in them. I search computer and find everything where they are suspose to be. But, they don't show up in Daz. I am at a lose about this. Any help would be great. Thank you for your time.

Pam     blush

Comments

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617

Have you tried looking in the "Lost and Found" folder? That's where most all of the stuff I've gotten for DAZ always ends up--with only occassional items getting put into their logical places. Pretty useless sorting system the DIM/DAZ uses, imo.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

Make sure the folders where you are seeing the stuff installed have been added as content libraries in your Content Library tab.

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186

Where would I find this "Lost and Found" folder? And I don't use the DIM thingy. All done manually. Thank you.

Pam

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,038

You will still have to go into Studio Preferences and tell the program what folders are being used for your content.

Fishtales said:

You will still have to go into Studio Preferences and tell the program what folders are being used for your content.

I did that and still nothing in folders. I'm still at a lose. Thank you though.

Pam

• Screenshot the preferences pane where you've told studio where your files are.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited June 2017
    What operating system are you running? I've had problems in the past on Windows where the Content Management Service (CMS) quit running. None of my content would show until I restarted the service.
    Post edited by riftwitch on
  • morkmork Posts: 278
    edited June 2017

If you copy the content manually, DAZ Studio does not know about it - it does not scan your files on it's own, it uses its database, which does not know about your new products.
    When you install with DIM, DIM does add the new content to the database, so Studio can find it.

But don't worry, you can trigger a re-scan:

* Right-click on the label of the content pane.
    * Click "Scan known directories for files"
    * Leave the options at default and click "Accept".
    * Wait a while, you can see a progress bar on top of the content pane

If content is still missing:

* Right-click on the label of the content pane.
    * Click on "Content DB Maintenance"
    * If anything is checked, uncheck it
    * Check only "Re-Import Metadata"
    * Click "Accept"
    * It will show you all your packages, select which one to import to the database
    * You can select all, but it might mark everything as new content then, not just the really new things.
    * Click "Accept" & wait.

Post edited by mork on

Sorry I can't get SC to fit here.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

On Windows, try the snipping tool to create a screen shot of the area of screen you want. On a Mac it is Shift-CMD-4.

• marble said:

On Windows, try the snipping tool to create a screen shot of the area of screen you want. On a Mac it is Shift-CMD-4.

Nice. Well played advice. I use irfanview, so I forgot you could do that.

Remember if you install everything manually you have to look in the "Content Library" to find your content, you will not find anything at all in Smart Content.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

FWIW, finding content folders with no files inside them always used to be (not sure if it still is) an unmistakeable sign of having your content installed in the wrong way. Looking in the Content Library tab, there are two base sections where all your content should be found, for DAZ Studio Format and Poser Format files. You can only see D|S content in the Daz Studio Format section, and only see Poser content in the Poser Format section. D|S will not see content files in the wrong section, although the folders containing those files will be visible.

As well as the Content Directory Management dialog, could you post a screenshot of the Windows Explorer showing a sample content location where you're installing stuff? Note that this should show the folder path — to help you, we need to confirm that you are actually installing D|S content files into the D|S content location.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    marble said:

Nice. Well played advice. I use irfanview, so I forgot you could do that.

I use FastStone Image Viewer for quick viewing and simple editing and re-sizing but Snipping Tool is more convenient for screen shots.

Thank you all for your help. But, nothing worked. I even uninstalled and re-installed Daz, even the new Daz. Still, it didn't work. I have a question. will I beable to use my old Michael 1, 2, and 3, as well as the Victoria 1, 2, and 3 in the new Daz?

Pam

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Yes, the older figures still work.  There are lots of us who still use those characters and haven't had any issues with them in the new upgrade.  

How exactly do you manually install?  That might help some of the experts determine if there is an issue with your install process and possibly give you some better advice.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    edited June 2017

The DAZ content zips have an extra "Content" folder that contains the Runtime folder, that will cause the files to be misplaced if you just extract the zips into the My DAZ 3D Library folder. Maybe that's the problem?

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited June 2017

Here's Stephanie 5/Genesis holding her own, imo, against the cutting edge.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Steph-across-the-water-688394253

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If you are in the Smart Content paneget out of it and in to the Content Library pane.  Look for odler Poser format figures under Poser Formats.

I think we need a screen shot of your content library tab to help further

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Pam, as others have asked and you have still yet to do, either with a screenshot or by just telling us, where have you installed your content? Once we know that, we will be a long way towards solving your problem.

I too install my content manually. To give you an idea of what we need to know, all my content on this particular PC is installed to a single folder or directory on my second (non-boot) drive. The file path I use is D:\3DContent\. In order for DAZ Studio to know where to find this content, I needed to tell it that twice - once for DAZ Studio format content, and again for Poser format content. Below is a screen grab of where I specified that within Studio. (click on the thumbnail for a larger image)

Within that folder/directory are a large number of subfolders/subdirectories that tend to be standardized for DAZ Studio and Poser format files. Most content for either program tends to come pre-packaged with some number of these folders/directories already set up with the proper files inside. One error that can be made is simply dropping the whole extracted contents directly into your main content folder, which can quickly make a mess of things. Instead, it is wise to first extract the contents of each item you get into a temporary folder and have a look at how it has been packaged. It is common for content creators to package their content within a main content folder, which may not be the same as yours. For example, they may package everything within a folder called Content, or My Library, or My DAZ Library, etc. For me, I need to open these folders to find what I need to place into D:\3DContent\. I can then simply drag-and-drop the content using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer!). Since the folders that the content comes pre-packaged in are the same as those in 3DContent, I will get a prompt asking whether I wish to combine or merge them with the existing folders (which is a good sign), and the answer is yes! Done.

If you are not seeing anything under the Content Library tab in DAZ Studio that can only mean that you haven't properly configured DAZ Studio to find it, or you have not installed the content correctly. That is why it is important for you to provide the information others have asked for, as we can usually see immediately what the issue is and can tell you how to fix it.

ConDirMan.jpg
    360 x 452 - 88K
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Pam,

Don't feel bad, I'm having exactly the same problem. Wish I could tell you solution, but I've tried everything too and nothing works. 

I'm starting to wonder if maybe this is an issue with the latest D|S, since I just installed it for the first time a few weeks ago. 

I guess my main question for everyone is this:

If you install content from the DAZ store using DIM, it automatically downloads and installs, and does it correctly I presume...

Now, in my experience, when  you do that it shows up immediately in Smart Content, under the appropriate category. However, if I jump over to Content Library, under My DAZ 3D Library right now, much of that content doesn't seem to exist. Also, there are far fewer categories in My DAZ 3D Library than in Smart Content.  No shaders, no materials, no poses, and so on.  

Now under Genesis 3 Female (Content Library/My DAZ 3D Library/People), there is Anatomy, Characters, Clothing, Expressions, Hair, Materials, and Shapes. But no matter where I click I can't see, for example, any icons for the base G3 Female.

Now, after I installed any DAZ store content I didn't go thru and manually do anything. I didn't think I need to, since it's all there in Smart Content. 

So what am I missing?

Thanks much for the patience. 

• ebergerly said:

If you install content from the DAZ store using DIM, it automatically downloads and installs, and does it correctly I presume...

Now, in my experience, when  you do that it shows up immediately in Smart Content, under the appropriate category. However, if I jump over to Content Library, under My DAZ 3D Library right now, much of that content doesn't seem to exist. Also, there are far fewer categories in My DAZ 3D Library than in Smart Content.  No shaders, no materials, no poses, and so on.  

Now under Genesis 3 Female (Content Library/My DAZ 3D Library/People), there is Anatomy, Characters, Clothing, Expressions, Hair, Materials, and Shapes. But no matter where I click I can't see, for example, any icons for the base G3 Female.

Now, after I installed any DAZ store content I didn't go thru and manually do anything. I didn't think I need to, since it's all there in Smart Content. 

So what am I missing?

Sounds like you have more than one content library. Or you are installing to Daz Connect. Or you are clicking too fast.

If you have more than one, when you click the arrows to close stuff up so that you have only "Daz Studio Formats" open, you will see 2 listings for My Library.

Which means you have two Daz Studio Formats Libraries in Content Directory Manager and one is empty.

If you are installign to Daz Connect, I'm pretty sure it should still populate in Content Library, so that would be a stumper.

If you are clicking to fast, try this:
    Click on a folder.
    In the empty content pane below, Right click to bring up the context menu.

That's it. Usually, when Studio draws the context menu, it also redraws the content pane and all of the content apears. It's a strange glitch that sometimes it just doesn't drawn anything in that pane, but it typically still shows the number of items it should displaying. That is a folder it has nothing to display will say "None" while all others will say "#-# of #" even if it's not showing anything in the content pane.

ebergerly said:

So what am I missing?

Even if you use DIM to install the content, do you install it in the recommend location specified by DIM? (which for windows users is in their documents area). If for any reason you told DIM to install your content elsewhere, then you must ensure that the new location is set up in the DAZ/Poser format directories in the Content Library Tab. If they are not correct DS will not find anything, regardless of which version you are using.

Not sure what you're referring to, but maybe you've hit on something I've never understood....

I'm on a Windows machine. Under C:\Users\Public\Public Documents is a DAZ3D folder with an Install Manager folder, and also a My DAZ 3D Library. The My DAZ 3D Library folder has the data, Documentation, and so on sub folders.

Now, in my personal Documents folder there's a DAZ 3D/Studio folder, and that has a My Daz Connect Library, a My Library, and a Render Library. 

To my knowledge I've never done anything with DAZ Connect because I have no clue what it is. 

The My Library also has data, documentation, runtime, scene, scenes, and a bunch of other folders, plus it's where I keep OBJ's I'm transferring to Blender, and so on.

Is that the issue you're talking about? 

Thanks much.

• ebergerly said:

So what am I missing?

You are looking at the actual folder names in the Content Library, not Categories (they are there, below the ... Formats Lists).

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017
    ebergerly said:

Not sure what you're referring to, but maybe you've hit on something I've never understood....

I'm on a Windows machine. Under C:\Users\Public\Public Documents is a DAZ3D folder with an Install Manager folder, and also a My DAZ 3D Library. The My DAZ 3D Library folder has the data, Documentation, and so on sub folders.

Now, in my personal Documents folder there's a DAZ 3D/Studio folder, and that has a My Daz Connect Library, a My Library, and a Render Library. 

To my knowledge I've never done anything with DAZ Connect because I have no clue what it is. 

The My Library also has data, documentation, runtime, scene, scenes, and a bunch of other folders, plus it's where I keep OBJ's I'm transferring to Blender, and so on.

Is that the issue you're talking about? 

Thanks much.

Basically, yes. You can specify in Studio and Install Manager where they should put/expect to find files. Based on your short description IM is putting files in Public Docs and you are placing them elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with Studio having more than one library location but it can cause confusion. IM not knowing there's two libraries could lead to double installing things and that will cause issues. You're best off consoldiating to a single library unless you have reasons of content creation/testing to have two.

If you right click the Content Library tab, the context menu has an entry called Content Directory Manager. Look in the CDM to see where Daz thinks your files are. There 3 categories: Daz Connect, Daz Studio Formats, Poser Formats. In general, the last two should point to the same place. The first one is special, and I don't mess with that. (Note that the Poser Formats option is for those who have Poser installed. You can point it at Poser's content folders instead of Daz's, as an option. But without Poser, it's fine pointed at Daz's folders. It does need to be pointed properly for Poser-based content to work though.)

Post edited by Singular Blues on
    edited June 2017

Ahh, okay. So yeah, the Content Directory Manager shows two locations for both DAZ Studio formats and Poser formats, the Public and private directories I just mentioned. 

Now, the big question is:

Is there any practical way to merge those without causing DAZ Studio to explode into a unrecognizable mess of confused content pointers? 

And the second question:

Since it KNOWS of the two locations, why is it not finding stuff? I guess what Richard was saying is that I shouldn't expect all my stuff to appear in the Content Library/DAZ Studio Formats folders, but rather in the Categories drop down below all of that.

BTW, I just saved a G3 pose, but it didn't appear in Smart Content, even though I saved it in the exact same location (my private Documents folder) that all my other poses are (and they show up in Smart Content). But it does show up in Content Library/Categories/Default/Saved Files/Pose. And yes, I did Refresh about 5 times and even re-started D|S.

Now am I supposed to go there every time and assign a category to it so it shows up in Smart Content.

Gosh this stuff gives me such a headache.  

Post edited by ebergerly on

Oh wait, SOME poses I've saved are visible under Smart Content/Poses, and ALL I've saved are under Saved Files/Preset/Pose. 

Headache...