capes/cloaks --wrap around, for sci-fi.

ElspathElspath Posts: 180
edited June 2017 in Product Suggestions

we could use different cloaks/capes, that wrap around and can morph longer than the feet for drag, and gliding capibilities, the way bat-mans cape does. they could be under the shoulder an out of the back, instead of around the neck area, to be a little more realistic, so that the throat getting jarred or pulled, wouldin't be an issue. also having them fold up into armor, like on a small thin roller could be nifty. iv'e seen several capes, but none wrap around the entire body, for a dramatic effect. or can asume different morphs. capes with bladeded edges, and spines could do damage.

Post edited by Elspath on

Comments

• colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407

Yeah, I'd like to see this.

• TraceSLTraceSL Posts: 519

Also, half-cloaks that just cover right or left side of the body

• ElspathElspath Posts: 180
    TraceSL said:

Also, half-cloaks that just cover right or left side of the body

definitely. would love captain-marvel type capes.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Hi 
    The current rigging limitation prevents this type of clothing with conformers
    it could easily be acheived with cloth dynamics however.

wolf359 said:

Hi 

Seems like the rigging system could be slightly modified for that though. we don't want dynamic robes or cloth as capes. we want "actual" product capes.

cloaks could work well for different time periods as well. like the 12 hundreds through today.

mini cloaks like captain marvels/Mary marvels, and cloaks with pockets in them, to house weapons would be good as well.

also trench-cloaks, with capes of the trench coats shoulders and back, not the neck.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761

How about cloaks with different collars attached to it.

• Elspath said:
    wolf359 said:

Hi 

Seems like the rigging system could be slightly modified for that though. we don't want dynamic robes or cloth as capes. we want "actual" product capes.

Technically, you can manually rig it however you want, since it doesn't need to conform to thw body shape underneath the cape. That's how I would do it, and probably will at some point.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136

The problem with conforming cloaks, capes and even skirts is that they're rigged using the character rigging - i.e. they have rigging for arms, legs and whatnot.  But capes, cloaks and skirts usually don't have arms, legs, or whatnot.  They're simple cloth shells that move independantly of the body beneath them.  That kind of independant movement is difficult to rig in conforming clothing.

• The problem with conforming cloaks, capes and even skirts is that they're rigged using the character rigging - i.e. they have rigging for arms, legs and whatnot.  But capes, cloaks and skirts usually don't have arms, legs, or whatnot.  They're simple cloth shells that move independantly of the body beneath them.  That kind of independant movement is difficult to rig in conforming clothing.

That's where custom riggin templates come in.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I have to admit that my favourite cloak is the controllable dynamic cloak.  Available in both D|S and Poser versdions, although originally only made for D|S.   It does what a cloak should do, and looks far more natural than Conforming ones. And I have used it on both male and female

https://www.daz3d.com/controllable-dynamic-cloak-bundle

https://www.daz3d.com/controllable-dynamic-cloak-for-poser

https://www.daz3d.com/controllable-dynamic-cloak-for-daz-studio

we need different styles, and updated versions of it. not every cape should be around the neck, the shoulders around the back, would be more functional.

cloaks could have a morph, where it was shot gun blasted, to put holes in the bottom of the cloak. leaf cloaks could be fantasy cloaks. bat-wing cloaks are needed.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You wouldn't use a morph to put holes in something, you would use a transmap.

• I exchanged messages with Arki the other day and she told me some things to try, though she too suggested dynamics would be better. I'll work on a test cape tonight and post images soon.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

The problem with conforming cloaks, capes and even skirts is that they're rigged using the character rigging - i.e. they have rigging for arms, legs and whatnot.  But capes, cloaks and skirts usually don't have arms, legs, or whatnot.  They're simple cloth shells that move independantly of the body beneath them.  That kind of independant movement is difficult to rig in conforming clothing.

That's not likely to work.  I say that as someone who has made custom rigging templates multiple times.  The reason capes and cloaks don't wrap around or touch the floor is that it's nearly impossible to rig them, even with custom bones, in such a way that they work in more than the base pose.  It's dimly possible someone could rig it with simpler bones and then include both poses for the figure and matching draped poses for the cape, but even then - you're limited to the included poses.

A dynamic product is still a "real" product.  Sometimes it's the thing that works best of all in a given situation.  This is definitely the case with these bulkier capes.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

That's not likely to work.  I say that as someone who has made custom rigging templates multiple times.  The reason capes and cloaks don't wrap around or touch the floor is that it's nearly impossible to rig them, even with custom bones, in such a way that they work in more than the base pose.  It's dimly possible someone could rig it with simpler bones and then include both poses for the figure and matching draped poses for the cape, but even then - you're limited to the included poses.

A dynamic product is still a "real" product.  Sometimes it's the thing that works best of all in a given situation.  This is definitely the case with these bulkier capes.

THIS ^

Yes, but about the shotgun blast, to make the cape full of holes, when you actually use the product, it would be a cape morph, or a material....

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

A morph can't add holes to geometry (or really close them either).  It would have to be a custom transparency map.