Does DAZ even notice the amount of request for Carrara 9 (as well as 64bit Hexagon and Bryce)?

I'm just curious.  They don't seem to respond much too any of it if they do.

Are they laughing at how much suspense they are giving us?  Do they plan to gleefully surprise us? 

I think if they weren't going to do anything, they would've put us out of our misery by now...but I don't know.

Comments

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Yes to all of these.  I want...

What I really want is a suite of programs that replace my need for other programs.  I don't mind bridging from Daz, AS LONG AS the bridges work properly.  I"ve yet to successfuly bridge anything consistently from Bryce or Hexagon, and I have no clue how Carrara works at this point (note that I've just opened up the program and played with it for a few minutes, but since Genesis 3 isn't fully supported in Carrara, I have less incentive to learn/bigger priorities r.e. stuff to learn first).  And ZBrush?  Yeah that doesn't work for me (do I need to buy ZBrush?)

I tried using Blender a while back, but couldn't get the textures to show up properly.  Plus navigating around in Blender was a pain.  Daz has much easier/somewhat more intuitive navigation, especially for those of us without 10 keys on our laptop (yeah there's the function key, but that's a pain, and the keys are offset, and the extra, non numeric 10 key keys are all out of position...).

If I could have a program that does what Blender does, with Adobe's ease of use (not that Adobe is THAT easy, but I have Photoshop conventions down real good except for that channels thing), and somewhat along the lines of Daz Studio, yeah I'd buy that.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

apparently the forum in general is not considered representative of their market going by past comments

so I would safely speculate yeah they ignore it

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited June 2017

I never got FBX to work in Blender, I try every time there is a new release ;) and I don't expect there to be much progress either, the Blender world is usually going like, "Oh, something does not work, should we fix it ? no we invent something new instead and try to get that working", often things are "almost" working.

I would not expect any C9 either, a long time ago in a galaxy far away they said they where working on (and had partial) G3 support for Carrara and that was the final thing I heard, they have limited resources so they spend it on DS, that is pretty much clear, I would think they do not see any revenue from Carrara except selling more C8.5 licenses, and the people that use Carrara today they will still do it even if they don't get any update (me being the exception I think), and if they do switch to other software the chances are they will still use DS and buy assets and export it.

It is way easier to get a working FBX imported into Lightwave or C4D compared to get a G2 working in Carrara, "Projecting morphs... please wait", "I will now save this file, it will take around 5 minutes or so... please wait".

M4/V4 users have it a little easier I would guess.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
     And ZBrush?  Yeah that doesn't work for me (do I need to buy ZBrush?)

I have to admit it would be far easier for you to say "Yeah that doesn't work for me" if you had actually bought it.   And far easier for those who do use it to help you get to grips with it. 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I'm just curious.  They don't seem to respond much too any of it if they do.

Are they laughing at how much suspense they are giving us?  Do they plan to gleefully surprise us? 

I think if they weren't going to do anything, they would've put us out of our misery by now...but I don't know.

The simple matter is that DAZ owns and sells the working product.  They are not obligated to tell us anything.  We can use it or not use it.

I use a product if it satisfies my needs.  Carrara satisfies my needs.  If I get to a point where it does not meet my needs, I will stop using it.

Any product can be improved, but if I spend all my time focusing on that, I won't get anything done.smiley

• I've been shopping around for alternatives as I ween myself off Carrara.....I love FormZ as a modeler but it is limited in Animation capabilites. Strata 3D and Modo are pretty good but both have very limited ecosystems and almost zero third party plugins and add-ons. 3D Max, Cinema 4d and Lightwave is out of my budget by the time one adds a decent amount options.... and I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE HATE that effing BLENDER!!!!!!

Chohole said:

I have to admit it would be far easier for you to say "Yeah that doesn't work for me" if you had actually bought it.   And far easier for those who do use it to help you get to grips with it. 

Well, I have this button in Daz that links to ZBrush.  I click on it and get an error message.  The link would imply that I have the program, hence my comment.

If Daz was 'worried' about not making money on new versions of Carrara, they could charge for upgrades (nothing says they can't.  Just because Daz upgrades to new versions are free doesn't mean Carrara ones need to be.  Or they could charge for 'Genesis packs', say a G8 pack to make G8 figures available in Carrara.

I'm all about free, but if paying a small sum for a version upgrade is what it takes to keep Carrara alive, well some people might find that worth the cost.  As long as the 'cost to upgrade' isn't too expensive...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited June 2017
    Chohole said:

Well, I have this button in Daz that links to ZBrush.  I click on it and get an error message.  The link would imply that I have the program, hence my comment.

for what it's worth I get the same error and I actually have Zbrush,

gave up trying to configure that bridge, the one in Poser works without having to think too hard just setting the path. it is partially because I use the D|S beta I think.

and having Zbrush does not really help if you cannot figure it out either, I do repair topology on things I make in Carrara in it and have made a few messy fibermesh hairdos with morphs for different messy styles.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:

You thought that Daz would give you a free program and include an $800 program in the download?

edited June 2017
    Chohole said:
    Chohole said:

You thought that Daz would give you a free program and include an $800 program in the download?

If the program isn't included with Daz, don't provide a link to the program that would imply that you have it.  It's easy enough to switch icons on/off in software, so if I don't have Zbrush, yeah Daz shouldn't show a program link to it.  That's being disinenuous.  That icon should only be shown IF you've already installed ZBrush, and the ZBrush install could include a widget to update Daz in order to activate said link icon.  Just sayin'

There are so many things that get installed with/alongside the initial/default Daz install (the associated package freebies), that it's not always clear what you do and don't actually have, especially if the program has 'link icons', which may or may not lead to things...

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on

I've been shopping around for alternatives as I ween myself off Carrara.....I love FormZ as a modeler but it is limited in Animation capabilites. Strata 3D and Modo are pretty good but both have very limited ecosystems and almost zero third party plugins and add-ons. 3D Max, Cinema 4d and Lightwave is out of my budget by the time one adds a decent amount options.... and I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE HATE that effing BLENDER!!!!!!

Tell us how you really feel about Blender!  And this expresses my Blender sentiments also, although dislike would be a more apt term in my case.

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587

The simple matter is that DAZ owns and sells the working product.  They are not obligated to tell us anything.  We can use it or not use it.

I use a product if it satisfies my needs.  Carrara satisfies my needs.  If I get to a point where it does not meet my needs, I will stop using it.

Any product can be improved, but if I spend all my time focusing on that, I won't get anything done.smiley

I can understand that point of view.  But some of us are fans of the actual software and don't necessarily want to hunt around for an alternative.  Your last statement could apply to that as well.  In the end, we all very well may have to. :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited June 2017

Deleted

Post edited by Diomede on

I can understand that point of view. 

No offense, but I'm not sure that you do.

But some of us are fans of the actual software and don't necessarily want to hunt around for an alternative. 

I am a fan of the software.  I am not hunting around for an alternative.

Your last statement could apply to that as well.  In the end, we all very well may have to. :)

My last statement was, "Any product can be improved, but if I spend all my time focusing on that, I won't get anything done."  Rather than spend time focusing on what I don't have, I prefer to focus on what I do have.  So far, there are no "deal-breakers" which would make me want to leave Carrara.

What is your "deal-breaker"?  I suspect if we asked that question to Carrara critics, that we would get a hundred different answers.  In other words, specific complaints about Carrara tend to be diffuse.  Complaints tend to center on the more general "DAZ won't update it" issue, even as Carrara itself continues to work rather well.

Case in point - an artist here, Vyusur, is highly accomplished modeler in the much-vaunted software called Blender.  In the past month or so, she taught herself how to model in Carrara:

Excellent results, in my view.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

Daz notices, but they don't care.

One would think that Genesis would be working like a champ in Carrara by now, but G3 doesn' t work natively, nor does Genesis 8.

They would sell more products, but they don't care.

We keep asking for an update, for fixes (hell,for documentation) for YEARS, but none have shown up in ages.

I'm grateful the software works for me still. I just wish we had updates to keep us lined up with the current Genesis models.

I can understand that point of view. 

No offense, but I'm not sure that you do.

But some of us are fans of the actual software and don't necessarily want to hunt around for an alternative. 

I am a fan of the software.  I am not hunting around for an alternative.

Your last statement could apply to that as well.  In the end, we all very well may have to. :)

My last statement was, "Any product can be improved, but if I spend all my time focusing on that, I won't get anything done."  Rather than spend time focusing on what I don't have, I prefer to focus on what I do have.  So far, there are no "deal-breakers" which would make me want to leave Carrara.

Chum, you speak your mind, don't you?  LOL.  Relax.  No, I'm not 5.  I completely understand your view.  Instead of worrying about when Daz is going to update Carrara (if they ever do), just enjoy an stable, excellent, very capable and efficient program (while at the same time, continue to show Daz that Carrara is worth supporting and upgrading).

We're on the same page with that notion.  :)

Case in point - an artist here, Vyusur, is highly accomplished modeler in the much-vaunted software called Blender.  In the past month or so, she taught herself how to model in Carrara:

This image is beyond excellent.  It's the perfect example of what I posted to the person over in the Carrara vs Daz Studio post.

Chum, you speak your mind, don't you?  LOL.  Relax.  No, I'm not 5. 

Sorry, it was never my intent to speak down to you.  You made some comments about my post which I didn't understand, and I wanted to clarify my position.

Internet communication is dicey at times.

I completely understand your view.  Instead of worrying about when Daz is going to update Carrara (if they ever do), just enjoy an stable, excellent, very capable and efficient program (while at the same time, continue to show Daz that Carrara is worth supporting and upgrading).

We're on the same page with that notion.  :)

Happy you agree. smiley  Thank you for clarifying.  There are many posters, drawn to these type of threads, who have a very different perspective.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

virtually nothing in 4 years so if I was to guess I'd say this is all you are getting...

NOTHING

except for possible prizes in the Carrara Challenges yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited June 2017

they used to have a ceo (?) that cared but I believed he was 198foured

in fact he sent me an email/pm once to ask me if he could use a quote of mine he'd seen in the forum

as far as I am concerned we have made a good case to show that we should be supported in

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58113/show-daz-that-carrara-users-are-a-market-worth-supporting-how-many-product-pages-do-you-have/p1

PhilW did the maths and sent it onto managment - can't recall whether they replied/

My guess is they can't figure out how to work on Carrara cause they sacked all those that could.

A chap came on the forum once under a Daz name - I think he'd been drinking, he claimed to have worked for Daz,  spilled a lot of beens, he was qute emotional about Carrara and how it had been badly treated, he  got two or three posts in, then was carted off to

They're Coming to Take Me Away

Lard

Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to leave because I'd go berzerk?
    Well, you left me anyhow and the days got worse and worse and now you see I've gone completely out of my mind.

And They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
    They're coming to take me away ho ho, he he, ha ha
    to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
    and they're coming to take me away ha ha!

You thought it was joke and so you laughed, you laughed when I had said that losing you would make me flip my lid, right?
    You know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed, you laughed and laughed and then you left, but now you know I'm utterly mad.

And they're…

Post edited by Headwax on

I'd be interesting to know where the old Carrara team landed, and what they are working on now...

yes, there's life over at Hivewire but not sure whether they were involved in Carrara

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
    edited June 2017

I won't hold my breath for another version of Carrara. Remember - the last version 4 years ago did not even have an updated manual!

I think it's pretty clear that Daz wants to focus on Daz Studio and all the merchandise that actually goes along with it

Post edited by cobusp on
  • destrechtdestrecht Posts: 24
    edited September 2017

I really want this, because I love carrara, and have been using it since it was Ray Dream Studio- but it's falling short lately. It's still my go to, but I've been looking at other options because of the errors I get in things like boolean operations, and my beloved spline modeler has some serious shortcomings. I'm considering bailing and going to strata or lighwave.

The only reason I use daz is because they bought carrrara. I was using poser for characters.

Post edited by destrecht on
  • there might be a duf importer for Lightwave I read somewhere 

thread vanished as commercial  so cannot check.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Why hold your breath - there will never be a Carrara 9 ! If DAZ could not give one hint in five years that there "might"be then its pretty clear to me.

BUT if there were ! I would want catch up in areas of

Object destruction [ slicing meshes etc] 

Better fluids and ocean  [ could they or somebody implement the HOT ocean plug in [ Houdini Ocean - its free ]

Of course support for all genesis - I cant even get g8 to load properly 

Otherwise Carrara is still awsome. Whilst it may not have all  the bells and whistles of the likes of C4d Maya Lightwave Modo it is a joy to use. 

I;m happy for daz to leave it alone. Saves me a lot of money not having to buy all that new stuff

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

This image is beyond excellent.  It's the perfect example of what I posted to the person over in the Carrara vs Daz Studio post.

+1!!! yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

I'd be interesting to know where the old Carrara team landed, and what they are working on now...

The Carrara Wikipedia has a nice little article. Nothing about the team though. Ringo based a forum thread around that idea: ► History of Carrara by Ringo Monfort

Here's an old post regarding the actual history, from the then president of Eovia:

1989, Dec: Eric Hautemont et al. found Ray Dream, Inc (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1991: Ray Dream ships Ray Dream Designer 1 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1991: Adam Lavine founds Specular International (maker of Infini-D). (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1991-93: Ray Dream ships Ray Dream Designer 2 (unknown date!) (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1994, Jan.: Ray Dream ships Ray Dream Designer 3 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1995, Q4: Ray Dream releases Ray Dream Studio 4 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1996, May: Ray Dream, Inc merges with Fractal Design Corp. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997: April: MetaTools, Inc acquires Specular International. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997, Feb: MetaTools, Inc merges with Fractal Design Corp. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997, May: MetaTools/Fractal Design becomes MetaCreations Corp. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997, June: Antoine Clappier et al. found RAYflect (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997, June: MetaCreations ships Infini-D 4.0 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997, July: MetaCreations ships Ray Dream Studio 5 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1997, September: MetaCreations ships Ray Dream 3D (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1998, May: MetaCreations ships Infini-D 4.5 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1999, June: MetaCreation acquires RAYflect, ships Ray Dream Studio 5.5 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1999, December: MetaCreation ships Carrara 1.0 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

1999, 2000 : MetaCreation sells its graphic software: 
    - Poser goes to Curious Labs 
    - Painter, the KPTs, Bryce go to Corel 
    - Canoma goes to Adobe (And everyone thought they were going to die)

2000, Nov: Eovia Corp is founded. Eovia acquires Carrara (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2001, Jan: TGS announces the acquisition of Eovia Corp. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2001,March: Eovia ships Amapi 3D V6. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2001, June: Eovia ships Carrara Studio 1.1 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2002, June: Eovia ships Carrara Studio 2.0 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2002, Aug: Eovia ships VectorStyle (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2002, Nov: Eovia ships Carrara 3D Basics (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2003, March: Eovia ships Power Pack (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2003, March: Eovia ships Amapi Designer 7 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2003, Sept: Eovia ships Carrara Studio 3.0 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

UPDATE:

2003, Dec: e-frontier acquires Curious Labs maker of Poser (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2004, April: TGS (owner of Eovia Corp.) is acquired by Mercury 
    Computer Systems. I leave the company. Eovia Corp. is spun-off. (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2004, Sept: Eovia ships Carrara 4 and Carrara 4 Pro (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2005, May: Eovia ships Hexagon (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2005, Oct: Eovia ships Carrara 5 and Carrara 5 Pro (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2006, Apr: DAZ acquires Eovia Corp. Ships Hexagon 2 (And everyone thought it was going to die)

2006, June: e-frontier acquires Amapi Pro / Eovia Europe (not official)? (And everyone thought it was going to die)

► Classic Carrara - Render Images by Ringo Monfort

This magazine is from Carrara days long gone, which is an amazing look at how alive things were then - makes me proud of how alive our family of Carrara users is to this day - perpetual development cycle or not. But there's some fun history about Carrara and Amapi along with some excellent reading in this collection! Special thanks for offering the complete archive like this!

3DXTRACT E-Zine thread, here in the forums (with link to download the complete collection)

Includes tutorials, tips, articles from some of Carrara's Greats!!!    

Carrara 3D Expo Magazine

brought to you by Carrara Cafe