trunk texture problem

edited February 2013 in New Users

Hi,

I have at last found the Maritime Pine I was looking for. I also found a picture of the bark of the trunk much more realistic than the one used
in the tree itself. My problem is that if I apply the image to the trunk as an ordinary texture, it gets stretched all along the trunk and the structure of the bark is lost see images below: original tree (image 3), tree with the new bark(Image 1) and the bark itself (image 2)

What device should I use in DAZ Studio 4.5 to tile the bark all over the trunk as to keep its original aspect untouched?

trunk.png
916 x 881 - 390K
maritime_pine.png
1495 x 947 - 402K
troncecorce.jpg
1123 x 750 - 215K
Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513
    edited December 1969

First off it depends on how the truck is UVMapped. best thing is to look at the original texturemap, see where the truck texture is placed on that map, then make an image larger (if the texturemap is to small, keeping the propotions) and use your graphics program of choice to replace it.

Another method that could work is to change the horizontal and vertical tiling properties of the surface.

• edited December 1969

Totte said:
    First off it depends on how the truck is UVMapped. best thing is to look at the original texturemap, see where the truck texture is placed on that map, then make an image larger (if the texturemap is to small, keeping the propotions) and use your graphics program of choice to replace it.

Another method that could work is to change the horizontal and vertical tiling properties of the surface.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. From WHat I see in the folder of the trees textures, it's a jpeg rectangular element which is stretched all along the trunk of the tree. If I want to keep the design of the scales of my bark element it seems I should find a way to tile the element multiple times along the trunk as there is only one position which can be used as you see on my picture.

edited December 1969

I created a tilable image of your bark (very quick using ImageSynth2)

tilebark.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 314K
  • edited December 1969

Totte said:

That's really very kind. I have Photoshop elements last version; do you think i could have done it with it?

edited December 1969

jvdesuit1 said:
    Totte said:

That's really very kind. I have Photoshop elements last version; do you think i could have done it with it?
    You could, but it wouldn't take 10 seconds, more like ten hours...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

If your using DS4.5 Select your Tree then in Surfaces Load your Texture in the Diffuse Channel, scroll down to the Surfaces list and set the Horizontal Tiles to like 60. Here it is on a Cylinder.

EDIT: Use Totte's texture it will work better.

Capture2.PNG
    661 x 932 - 433K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Well many thanks to you both; I'll just have now to move my tree to my scene and replace the 50 or so trees I did not like!lol! But this I have no problem with. I know how to do it. Have a nice day both of you.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

Does Photoshop Elements have the Offset filter? If so, the basic technique is to use that to move the edges of the image to the middle, so you can see the join, and then use the Clone Stamp to paint it out. Then Use Offset again to restore the edges to the edge and the middle to the middle and tidy up any irregularities you created.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148
    edited December 1969

Does Photoshop Elements have the Offset filter? If so, the basic technique is to use that to move the edges of the image to the middle, so you can see the join, and then use the Clone Stamp to paint it out. Then Use Offset again to restore the edges to the edge and the middle to the middle and tidy up any irregularities you created.

Yes, it does have that - I've used it to create tiling textures myself.
    What it doesn't have (or at least I've been unable to find it yet?!) is a way to even out image tone, so unless the original image has very even lighting from top to bottom and left to right you can't get a perfect result very easily.
    Does anyone have any hints on this?
  • edited February 2013

MelanieL said:

Yes, it does have that - I've used it to create tiling textures myself.
    What it doesn't have (or at least I've been unable to find it yet?!) is a way to even out image tone, so unless the original image has very even lighting from top to bottom and left to right you can't get a perfect result very easily.
    Does anyone have any hints on this?

Well that's good news. I have version 11 the last one; what is the precise name of the option for "even out image tone"?

Under the Online Help I find these themes ( See here : Photoshop Elements 11 Help page )

Image adjustments :

Adjusting color, saturation, and hue Adjusting shadows and light Retouching and correcting Transforming
    Enhancing Resizing

Perhaps it's under one of these articles we could find our answer Melanie.

Here is the full set of filters inside the software. What You can't do is using the Photoshop Bridge option with this version. I don't understand why DAZ has not implemented the bridge for both versions as the Elements one enables a lot of the options of Photoshop for a non professional who has not the financial means or usage to spend thousands of dollars for the full program.

Filter_Galery.png
    1036 x 1048 - 932K
  • edited December 1969

I know this is not related to the above posts but I just can't resist to share this incredible video editing and the great laugh I had. The perfect video to begin a joyful day!:-)

Bei mir bist du scheen

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Very catchy tune too, and very funny video. A bit of a pep up to start the day.:)

edited December 1969

LOL at the tune, it's very known here in Sweden as someone many years ago wrote a Swedish lyrics to it for a university show and it's a wide spread used on university parties.

I made a different tiling btw, also using ImageSynth2, cleaned it up a little and made it less repetitive looking, enjoy!

tilebark-1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 299K
  • edited February 2013

Totte said:
    LOL at the tune, it's very known here in Sweden as someone many years ago wrote a Swedish lyrics to it for a university show and it's a wide spread used on university parties.

I made a different tiling btw, also using ImageSynth2, cleaned it up a little and made it less repetitive looking, enjoy!

Ok I'll try this one; The big problem is to find the right Horizontal tiling number as the tree can measure up to 30m high with a mean circonference of 3.1416m (easy way to compute as the diameter is about 1m!) as I checked in Wikipedia.

Edit:

Yeah you're right this is much better there is no more the kind of vertical darker separation there was before. My concern now is what would suggest to prevent the spiraling of the texture as seen here now?

2013-02-28_12h09_24.png
    1906 x 1079 - 2M
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited February 2013

That is looking pretty good. When you use a seamless tile, there's going to be some repetition, which in this case seems to be causing that spiraling effect. You could try editing the image using Photoshop Elements (or something similar) to break up that darker diagonal stripe...but ultimately the best solution is to use a larger* source image.

If you want to make your own seamless tile, here's a quick tutorial on how to do it in Photoshop (I'm pretty sure PS Elements would work also): http://www.photoshoptextures.com/texture-tutorials/seamless-textures.htm

*In other words, an image that shows a greater area of the bark texture.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • edited December 1969

That is looking pretty good. When you use a seamless tile, there's going to be some repetition, which in this case seems to be causing that spiraling effect. You could try editing the image using Photoshop Elements (or something similar) to break up that darker diagonal stripe...but ultimately the best solution is to use a larger* source image.

If you want to make your own seamless tile, here's a quick tutorial on how to do it in Photoshop (I'm pretty sure PS Elements would work also): http://www.photoshoptextures.com/texture-tutorials/seamless-textures.htm

*In other words, an image that shows a greater area of the bark texture.

Yeah I've just tried with another method with Elements and it's better but I think as you say I should have a much bigger image to rap the tre trunk especially considering its height ; here is the result; I think it's the closer to reality I can get with the original element I have in my possession . What do you think Scott?

2013-02-28_15h46_31.png
    817 x 1079 - 1M
    edited December 1969

You mean like this?
    Made a quick bumpmap too.

trunkwide_b.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 406K
    trunkwide.jpg
    1500 x 750 - 427K
  • edited February 2013

Totte said:
    You mean like this?
    Made a quick bumpmap too.

In fact I restarted from scratch and used this tutorial Tiling Texture Maps with Offset
    I made a rectangle image as to have an aspect ratio similar to the size of the tree.
    I have the same options and tools in Photoshop elements 11. I had used that previously in an other instance and had forgotten it
    completely. You are I should bump the texture too. I forgot to do it.

As usual from different angles and experiences, comes the light, or less shade as one considers the problem!lol!
    It's like the mad man believing he is a corn grain, when he is said he should not act so, he agrees with the doctor; as soon as
    he goes out he sees a chicken, his mate tells him,"you know you're not a corn grain don't you?" Yes he answers but the chicken doesn't !!!!

And here a revised version of my Roman pavement. What do you think of it? The bands are not a problem as usually this is the case in reality.I'll be able to minimize them by overlapping the tiles at some points.

Paves_romains.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M