How to Use a Push Modifier: Creating a Blanket / Adjusting Clothing Fit and More

2»

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I'm curious...what ever happened to the Optiex feature? I don't recall seeing much in the store, except for a package of female lingerie or something like that. Is it still a viable option?

Thanks.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    ebergerly said:

I'm curious...what ever happened to the Optiex feature? I don't recall seeing much in the store, except for a package of female lingerie or something like that. Is it still a viable option?

Thanks.

It's in there but the DAZ Store search engine isn't very good.

https://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-clothing-control

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I think the plugin is included in D|S 4.9 (at least there's a Dynamic Clothing tab), but it doesn't like you can buy much of the specialized clothing that works with it. Something in the back of my head tells me that company is no longer around, or got bought or something. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Fisty said:

Thanks @Fisty for sharing htose links with everyone

ebergerly said:

Excellent. Thanks for the tutorial. Push modifiers were one of those things I wanted to figure out.

But promise me, next time, instead of spending so much time to drape a blanket like that, please just use VWD and drape it inside D|S... smiley

Or just export the character and drape a mesh in Blender. So much quicker and easier smiley

Just sayin'.... smiley 

My purpose in doing the tutorial wasn't so much in draping a sheet but showing how to use push modifiers, which based on comments on this and another thread, many Daz users are unaware of (as I was myself until the other day). I will agree with you that if you have something that works with DS (like the freebies Fisty shared), or have purchased VWD, or have learned Blender, those can be faster.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961
    I agree that the blanket is a good way to show in the simplest visuals how the push modifier works, and then after that it goes into practical examples. This is a good structure for introductory tutorials.
  • ebergerly said:

Thanks.

Don't buy it though It's not worth the money.  No ability to create your own content for the plugin

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151

How can you save your blanket plane as a Figure/Prop asset and retain the weight map? When I reloaded my saved object, the weight map was gone. sad

barbult said:

How can you save your blanket plane as a Figure/Prop asset and retain the weight map? When I reloaded my saved object, the weight map was gone. sad

I've just been saving the scenes and the plane and modifier reload fine and you can redit the map. It also looks like you can save it as a scene preset too. Not sure if there's another way to save them if you want to be able to modify the map for another pose or figure.

• ebergerly said:

Thanks.

Don't buy it though It's not worth the money.  No ability to create your own content for the plugin

It dosn't claim to be a creation tool - it is to allow you to customise the fabric settings, and also gives a wind generator.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

Great tutorial. I wasn't aware of this feature. I am curious if there are other ways to use or activate the feature.

edited June 2017

Here's another example of push modifiers in practice. The beach is a primitive plane modified with one push modifier. For this one I did not remove the 100% weight that the push modifier has when it's first created; rather, I cut away spots by reducing the weight in the desired areas. The flat section of the beach was protected by selecting the non-flat side of the plane and checking the box "Respect Selection" on the Node Weight Map tool pane which kept all the brush action localized to that section. The low wall in front was made by using the Directional Gradient brush. The beach entering the water was raised and lowered as needed by using the Paint Brush and Smoothing Brush.  I then used the Geometry Editor tool to select the wall polygons and assigned them to a new surface so they could get a stone texture. The water also has a push modifier added so the waves could get smoothed as they came ashore. Note that the bumps and grooves in the sand are not from the push modifier but are from a Mec4D wet sand shader.

Here's what the plane's weight map looks like:

Push mod beach 2.jpg
    704 x 466 - 243K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    Jim said:

Great tutorial. I wasn't aware of this feature. I am curious if there are other ways to use or activate the feature.

Certainly other places to use them as they will work on props, primitives, clothing, hair, and figures.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by other ways to activate the feature. You can add a second map to an existing node without going through the edit and create steps 4 & 5 by using the Add Map button in the weight brush pane. I've also found you can probably skip step 4 and just do the create step 5. And you can skip step 8 and just remove weight rather than adding it (as I did for the beach above), but depending upon what you are modifying, it may be more work if you skip the step. 

I made a cave over the weekend using a push modifier applied to a sphere. Here is a new tutorial you may find useful.

• OMG I didn't know it and I used to use dform, export to hexgon to make morph, and smooth iteration to 20 to avoid clothes collision, how much time I have wasted.