Selling Textures - Retexturing?

KooreoKooreo Posts: 44
edited June 2017 in The Commons

How does one go about selling retextures of items/models? Do you need the permission of the original author to sell textures for their work?

Examples:
(original) Genesis 8 Female MEGA Wardrobe - (retexture) Genesis 8 Female MEGA Wardrobe Indispensable Textures

I have searched the forums for this and can't seem to find an answer about this. 

Post edited by Kooreo on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You need to pack them up, using the same folder tree as Daz 3d does, make sure of course that every thing within your folders is completely your own work, nothing "borrowed" from the original.  Then you need to make promos to show off the new textures,  and then you need to find a site to sell them on. 

• JessaiiJessaii Posts: 845
    Kooreo said:

How does one go about selling retextures of items/models? Do you need the permission of the original author to sell textures for their work?

Examples:
    (original) Genesis 8 Female MEGA Wardrobe - (retexture) Genesis 8 Female MEGA Wardrobe Indispensable Textures

I have searched the forums for this and can't seem to find an answer about this. 

You dont need permission to do texture expansions for products that you purchase :) You are freely able to create your own textures for sale or for free. You just cannot use the original textures in your product :) 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Do you me sell them at DAZ?

Sell them period, or get them to market?

DAZ has a submission process... You can find out more about it here https://www.daz3d.com/community/community-publishing

One thing some people do before submitting work to DAZ is hooking up with individuals willing to Beta test the items for them.

If you are really new to this sort of thing, one thing you can do is make a few freebies first to test out how well your stuff is received and to sort of bring attention to your work... It also gives you experience in packing up your work and presenting it in a professional manner.

DAZ can take a while to get back to you when you submit products to them, so don't be discouraged... And even if your stuff isn't excepted at first, figure out what it was that didn't make the cut and improve it...

Keep trying if this is what you enjoy doing, not everyone succeeds at the first try.

Good luck.

• KooreoKooreo Posts: 44
    Silver said:
    Kooreo said:

Examples:

You dont need permission to do texture expansions for products that you purchase :) You are freely able to create your own textures for sale or for free. You just cannot use the original textures in your product :) 

Thank You, This is what I was looking for.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

It can be really helpful to find a friendly PA to give you tips, because Daz may not respond or give feedback to prospective folks.

Sure, a PA won't know for sure why you are rejected, but they can make informed guesses.