Upgrading to 4.9 deleted my entire library

So after the hassle that was upgrading to the latest version, I've just found out a couple days later that my entire library is gone.

Everything I had in My Documents. My scenes, the free stuff I downloaded from ShareCG, super hard to find assets, hundreds of works in progress and all the hard work I've put in using DAZ over the last year, deleted without warning and without my permission.

Months of hard work gone in an instant, when my job relies on the characters I design in this program.

What the Hell.

Post edited by ScreampunkArts on

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Have you physically checked the folders? Don't just look in Studio because a change in the mapped path can make everything seem to disappear.

• fastbike1 said:

Have you physically checked the folders? Don't just look in Studio because a change in the mapped path can make everything seem to disappear.

Checked all my folders, it's all completely gone.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Upgrading Studio does not effect content at all.

• jestmart said:

Upgrading Studio does not effect content at all.

And yet it did. I wouldn't delete my entire DAZ library and throw away months of work.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,416
    edited June 2017

What folder do you install your content to? My Daz 3D Library or My Library. Do you use DIM for your installs?

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • frank0314 said:

What folder do you install your content to? My Daz 3D Library or My Library. Do you use DIM for your installs?

I used to always use the DAZ 3D folder in My Documents, but around 4.5-ish I think, it decided it wanted to use "Public Documents", so I got confused and started using both, just in case.
    I always use DIM for stuff I get from the store, and I would drop content from ShareCG etc. into My Documents & Public Documents both, just to be sure.
    The Library in Public Documents is still there, but my scenes were all saved by default to the one in My Documents, which is the one that was deleted on its own.

• ScreampunkArts, I am wondering if you ever received an answer to your question or otherwise found out what happened to your library and saved scenes; a couple of friends and I have been refraining from upgrading to 4.9 specifically because we're very concerned about this sort of thing happening.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I repeat, upgrading Studio does not effect content at all.

• And yet ScreampunkArts DID apparently lose content, and another friend of mine has apparently lost content as well... so I wish to continue investigating and find out what's going on.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

I'm always paranoid about this sort of thing, after having lost my entire library a couple of years ago (due to computer fault, not upgrade issue) I know what a pain it can be to start from scratch. I will be making a backup copy of everything before I do an upgrade I think.

• mkatzbergmkatzberg Posts: 15

I have the problem with Daz3d constantly removing all my content from my 2.8TB drive and copying it all over to my 100GB Windows drive.  So I feel for you.  After the 3rd time I gave up fighting it.  After about 3.9 it became more difficult to use 3rd party items, and smart content became smarter.

• mkatzberg said:

I have the problem with Daz3d constantly removing all my content from my 2.8TB drive and copying it all over to my 100GB Windows drive.  So I feel for you.  After the 3rd time I gave up fighting it.  After about 3.9 it became more difficult to use 3rd party items, and smart content became smarter.

DS won't do that - it doesn't have the means to do it even if asked. Some more details of what is happening would help - its it that DS is not seeing DIM installs, and so is treating an attempt to open a product as an instruction to download to the default Connect data location (which you can move)?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    mkatzberg said:

Your issue sounds like you mapped a new content location, but did not remove the old one, so it is still treating the old one as the primary install location

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787

For what it's worth, this past week I upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9 without issue...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    mkatzberg said:

After about 3.9 it became more difficult to use 3rd party items

I'm really curious now about what I'm doing different from so many others — I've never had problems with non-DAZ content (unless there's actually something wrong with the content files themselves). Is it just that I don't use DIM/CMS/Smart Content, and always do manual installs like I've done since D|S1? Or is there something else?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I use DIM for things from the DAZ store and manual install for anything else. I don't have any problems with purchased content not showing up. I suppose I should mention that I don't use Connect or Smart Content.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

My two cents here just in case it may be useful. Personally I just use the regular content tab and manual install. I also keep my assets in a backup disk and I only install in the content folder what I need for the current project. This way of working has the advantage of keeping things simple and clean.