So... Genesis 2?

WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
edited June 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

I spent some time last night on the DAZ Store, looking at different Genesis models/generations, to find one that I want to work with and maybe to learn a bit more about what each has/does, etc. Turns out I learned a bit about it. 

I think I've found that Genesis 2 has a nice look, and a great variety of options... and it's nicely compatible with Carrara, which is a little bit important :p. So I'm leaning toward using that as my "main version", perhaps using others if/when there's a good reason to. As of now, I'm not aware of any particular reason why I shouldn't; I've seen some really great stuff based off of it. But again, I'm still very new with the DAZ "universe", so that could change over time.

I'm also curious what  y'all like to use around here as your "base" or "go-to" model/generation, and perhaps some reasons why? Versatility, looks, etc?

Thanks!

Post edited by WsCG on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited June 2017

Personally, I am willing to use any figure, but Genesis 2 is my most common.  Each generation of figure has gotten better in some fundamental ways.  For example, the default joint bends of Victoria 6 and Michael 6 are much better than the corresponding default bends of Victoria 4 and Michael 4.  See it in the shoulders even if fully clothed.  However, there are fixes that can be done in Carrara, and there are 3rd party products to improve V4 and M4 joint bends, so I'm not saying joint bends would stop me from using V4 or M4 if I think they are good for another reason (for example, I have some Carrara hair products that grow directly on the mesh of V4 or M4). 

I own some of the GenX clones for converting content between figures.  I also have several character conversion packs for Poser's wardrobe wizard.  It is possible to do 2-step conversions (convert to M4, then to Genesis 2 male).  With those, I took some time while watching sports to use Studio's transfer utility to convert a lot of my content for other figures to be used with Genesis 2.  Just kept converting content through two NFL playoff games.  Now I can use my content for Poser 7's Simon and Sydney with Daz's Genesis 2 figures.  I can use content for the original Freak and Aiko3 with Daz's Genesis 2 figures.  All that in addition to the more general ablity to use V4 and M4 content with V6 and M6.  

Here is an example.  I own some vintage formal clothing content for the original David figure that was based on the V3 mesh.  I also own the David 3 genx clone.  If I plan to have a scene that harkens back to Dickens, I am more likely to use the Genesis 2 male morphed to the David 3 shape, wearing converted David 3 clothing content, then I am to use the original David 3 figure with its content.  The Genesis 2 Male morphed to look like David 3 will pose better than the original David 3.

EDIT: Bad example - don't have the David 3 morph for Genesis 2 male.  I have converted David 3 clothing for G2M, though, just don't own the product to shape G2M to be David 3.

Note - I do not typically focus on photo-realism. 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2017

mintaur 6heart  luv me a mean minotaur. ,

and non-gmo tomato

tastes like hamburger, wid ketchup cheeky

Post edited by Mistara on
  • cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

How on earth do I load the shaping morphs??? There's nothing in the Parameter tab..

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited June 2017

In the Instances tab, click on Actor , shaping morphs should be under the Parameters tab.

For movement morphs click on Genesis 2 Male (or Female) in the Instances tab, movements will be in the Parameters tab.

Genesis 2 shaping morphs.png
    1921 x 1039 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

I;ve tried that  - there's nothing! Do I perhaps have the wrong Genesis 2 version loaded? From my Poser experience the morphs don;t require injection.

actor.jpg
    800 x 755 - 84K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited June 2017

Can you locate your data file and have a look to see what morphs you have ?

Have included a screenshot of what my data Genesis 2 male morphs look like.

data file structure.png
    1820 x 1042 - 210K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Genesis 2 is a good choice for use in Carrara, but I still tend to use any suitable generation back to V4 (I have still been known to use V3 and her friends too occassionally).  I have more content for the V4 generation than anything else, I think Genesis (1) is great for monsters and that kind of figure, and Genesis 2 is the most realistic of the ones that are compatible with Carrara - although thanks for Mistara, we can now use Genesis 3 stuff in Carrara too now, and I recently picked up quite a bit of G3F content for an absolutely knock-down price (I think it was 7 complete outfits for about $10!). If you have issues with Autofitting older generation clothes in Carrara, it can work to do the fitting in DS and then save a scene which you can open in Carrara.

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391
    PhilW said:

Genesis 2 is a good choice for use in Carrara, but I still tend to use any suitable generation back to V4 (I have still been known to use V3 and her friends too occassionally).  I have more content for the V4 generation than anything else, I think Genesis (1) is great for monsters and that kind of figure, and Genesis 2 is the most realistic of the ones that are compatible with Carrara - although thanks for Mistara, we can now use Genesis 3 stuff in Carrara too now, and I recently picked up quite a bit of G3F content for an absolutely knock-down price (I think it was 7 complete outfits for about $10!). If you have issues with Autofitting older generation clothes in Carrara, it can work to do the fitting in DS and then save a scene which you can open in Carrara.

I picked up a Victoria 4 set, since it was nicely discounted, on top of the + membership. I saw you using them in your training vid and liked the look of what you were able to get from it. I also have some Genesis stuff, no monsters, though... just a dragon for now.