CR2 for Genesis Model to use in Mimic Pro

solomonsolomon Posts: 84
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi Guys,

has anyone been successful in getting The Genesis model to work in Mimic Pro? is there a CR2 and DMC for Genesis that anyone can share, for use in Mimic Pro?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited December 1969

there is a DMC in program files Daz studio plugins mimic but no cr2, so nup, I cannot get it to work in Mimic pro either.
    can in Mimic plugin for Carrara though.
    A friend on youtube using Poserpro asked the same question and I could not help
    saving the 32bit lipsync as a pz2 sort of works but very distorted.

• solomonsolomon Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

there is a DMC in program files Daz studio plugins mimic but no cr2, so nup, I cannot get it to work in Mimic pro either.
    can in Mimic plugin for Carrara though.
    A friend on youtube using Poserpro asked the same question and I could not help
    saving the 32bit lipsync as a pz2 sort of works but very distorted.

I was hoping, have you had any success or another solution?

edited March 2013

works in the Carrara mimic plugin
    also the 32bit .duf scene of a figure using Daz studio lipsync works in Carrara
    so if using Carrara try those
    as for Poser, I am going to have to solve that too now I have PP2012

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

I had a quick look at it a few months back and it looked do-able but... it would really be a LOT easier if DAZ updated MIMIC to support DSON files, as that would solve a lot of the technical problems with add-on characters.

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

I had a quick look at it a few months back and it looked do-able but... it would really be a LOT easier if DAZ updated MIMIC to support DSON files, as that would solve a lot of the technical problems with add-on characters.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff, how were you able to get the CR2? kindly share the workflow if you don't mind?

edited December 1969

solomon said:
    Cliff, how were you able to get the CR2? kindly share the workflow if you don't mind?

Err... it's a bit long ago and it gets rather complex at points, but here's the two basic approaches that I recall investigating with the idea of having a "Genesis Head" for use in Mimic. I don't recall which one looked more promising/worked best, but ISTR that both showed some promise.

1) Use the inbuilt .CR2 exporter to create a .CR2 (weight-mapped) of Genesis. Load .CR2 into DAZ Studio 3 (where I have all the figure setup tools) and cut it down to the head and neck (remove limbs and any non-head/neck/eyes/mouth geometry). Save as a legacy .CR2. Would plan to at least test joints as they might need some work (I have the figure setup tools for thar ;) )

2) Try loading the pre- .DUF format Genesis in DAZ Studio 3 directly, use Figure Setup tools to strip out all but head and neck, use Figure Setup Tools to adjust joints and test morpsh etc. and save out as a legacy .CR2.

For any more accurate than that I'd have to actually redo the tests... which only went far enough to suggest it's entirely possible to produce a Genesis "Talking Head" .CR2 that Mimic could use - but I didn't get into all the ins and outs of trying to support different characters, especially those with different UV layouts.

Hope that helps? (basically - it's a whole bunch of work!)

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Hi guys, has anyone else had any luck with this CR2 workflow?

edited April 2013

OK, here goes. I loaded up DAZ Studio 3.0 (note the nought) and loaded a Genesis .CR2 that I'd previously created with the .CR2 exporter in DAZ Studio 4.0 (nought again) following the steps in my tut here:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-to-poser-cr2

I then exported a new .CR2 called "MIMIC.CR2" from DAZ Studio 3.0

I opened MIMIC 3 Pro and chose one of the same sound files and the newly-generated "MIMIC.CR2". I also selected a .DMC configuration file from back when I was thinking of making a "Genesis Animeted" product. The attached image shows what it looks like, and I have thrown up a preview animation to:

http://youtu.be/M3x2hK4SVSk

The "Genesis Animeted" project didn't get any further than this due to my perecption that A) I would have to spend a LOT of time tweaking to get it good enough for me, and I wouldn't recoup that in value from sales and B) I think customers would probably be dissapointed by the level of support I'd be able to achieve, partly because of MIMIc limitations but also because I'd need clearance from DAZ to use any/all shapes I'd want to include... and a bare "Default, male, female" Genesis sisn't feel to me like enough.

Since I already had a basic Genesis DMC and GHenesis .CR2 created from way back, this post took longer to type than actually doing the test took. Obviously, to even approach a commercial-quality "Geenesis Animeted" product would take a great deal more effort, but just getting Genesis into MIMIC in order to generate some pose files for final renders shouldn't take too much effort :)

Cheers,

Cliff

GenesisInMIMIC.png
    1280 x 998 - 63K
    Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
  • jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

Cliff, I followed the link to your product page but noticed the comment about DS 4.5 and using dson to import genesis into DS. Will dson create a .cr2 for genesis? Not being able to use Mimic Pro with genesis is the main reason I haven't been using genesis in my animations.

edited April 2013

jaebea said:
    Cliff, I followed the link to your product page but noticed the comment about DS 4.5 and using dson to import genesis into DS. Will dson create a .cr2 for genesis? Not being able to use Mimic Pro with genesis is the main reason I haven't been using genesis in my animations.

Hi jaebea. When I first looked at how well the Genesis stuff worked in Poser using DAZ's DSON importer, I was so blown away by the improvements that I nearly pulled that product, which is just a tutorial to make the .CR2 exporter built into DAZ Studio 4 a bit easier to follow/understand and perhaps improve the quality of the results with some hints, tips, and python scripts. However, once it became apparent (mostly because people told me!) that the DSON importer didn't cover every situation equally, I felt it best to put up that comment that I believe the DSON importer is best for the vast majority of situations, but leave the tut available for anyone who needs or even just wants to use the .CR2 exporter but can't struggle their way through it without (or want my "helper" scripts).

I have now tried a DSON-created .CR2 file - raw, as it were (without my tampering with it at all) and it seems that MIMIC 3 Pro does a surprisingly good job of interpreting Genesis despite the degree to which MIMIC is, ah, old code :( It's obviously old but gold code! I'm amazed, frankly, at how well it does without having access to the DSON plugin code from DAZ.

There are a couple of "gotyas" that I've noticed, beyond the obvious that the whole body won't be animateable in MIMIc (using either workflow),

1) you need to tell it to ignore subdnull.obj - there is no such .obj file.

2) You need to locate a previously exported Genesis .obj file with when it asks for one t- because saving to a .cr2 library within Poser doesn't create one.

Otherwise - it looks remarkably good, even changing between different characters (I only tried a couple, but "Girl 4" is pretty extreme). And it would be possible to edit the .CR2 and filenames to prevent those hassles, for repeated use, I am sure.

Thanks for making me put the work in to test this route rather than just assume that the DSON could would be necessary! I'm amazed no-one has before now :(

Cheers,

Cliff

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited April 2013

Thanks Cliff! This makes me very excited!! I am starting a new project now and have been torn as to try genesis. There is only one spoken line at the end as it is a music video so that's why I decided to check the forums again for progress. So very glad I did!

What about the dmc file. Is there a substitute?

Post edited by jaebea on
    edited April 2013

jaebea said:
    Thanks Cliff! This makes me very excited!! I am starting a new project now and have been torn as to try genesis. There is only one spoken line at the end as it is a music video so that's why I decided to check the forums again for progress. So very glad I did!

What about the dmc file. Is there a substitute?

There's a few tweaks. For a start the DSON route doesn't seem to create a .OBJ file, so I've been using one created using the old .CR2 exporter route. It should be possible to just export the .obj from DAZ Studio 4, or perhaps from Poser, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet - partly because I've spent far too much time today trying to work through the niggles in this workflow!

In the .CR2, some editing needs to be done. Namely...

change all occurances or

:Runtime:DSON:auto_adapted:data:DAZ 3D:Genesis:Base:Genesis:geometry{348f6408-a456-b20e-4d5b-849b06ee0130}.obj

to

":Runtime:Geometries:DAZ 3D:Genesis:Base:Genesis_V5.obj" (or whatever the name of your .obj file is)

change all occurances of

E:/My Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/DAZ/Characters/MilWom/V5/ (my start with a different drive and/or path)

to

:Runtime:textures:DAZ:Characters:MilWom:V5:

delete

actor __SUBD:1
    {
    storageOffset 0 0.3487 0
    objFileGeom 0 0 :Runtime:Geometries:DAZ 3D:DSON:subdnull.obj
    }

Check out http://youtu.be/J6PzgwN6VLA for an updated MIMIc preview showing Victoria 5 in MIMIC. I'm currently working on a Poser render of this but it's taking time - I'll post when I can though.

I don't have any other Genesis DMC I'm afraid. I don't find them difficult to make though, just a bit tedious - this one is unfinished, so I wouldn't consider it as useable yet. I assume DAZ have a .DMC that they use for the "Live" MIMIC?

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

I bought Poser Pro 2012 a couple of weeks ago
    forgot about this thread
    imported a CR2 of my Mum facegen morphed Genesis
    she poses etc
    saw this thread again
    so
    on a whim opened her in mimic pro,
    used the Genesis DMC
    got about 6 errors but she loaded and talked and the pz2 worked in PP2012!
    out of the box!!!
    LOL never read any of your posts or bought and looked at your tute Cliff, sorry!
    but
    it works so I must have gotten lucky! %-P

cannot dress her yet though :red:

edited December 1969

No worries Wendy, EVERYONE doesn't have to buy my stuff (though it would be cool if they did).

Youtube are sruggling to work on my Poser render (default settings) of the .PZ2 file that MIMIC created, but they seem to think that it will be at http://youtu.be/pu5OJgCMVx8 when it's finished.

Sorry for the crudeness throughout, it takes me a long time to work on this stuff in-between real life :(

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

I subbed your channel

edited December 1969

my quickie preview render http://youtu.be/w8nHwsPaHDA
    I did not match the wav properly to the com-posited image sequence
    it will fit in my final render with ray-traced hair as I am doing an avi (risky!! do not do avi as a rule) but will have audio embedded.

edited December 1969

I subbed your channel

I noticed! Don't worry, I don't post often. I keep promising to "do more" but nothing ever seems to come of it, so you're not likely to be flooded with loads of videos on a regular basis.

So - is that painted-on clothing you're using?

Cheers,

Cliff

• Casina_Casina_ Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hope this works!

edited December 1969

No reason for it not to! :D

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

lol I'm going to find out!

edited December 1969

I have now tested with a .cr2 exported from poser (subdivision off, all morphs and joints zeroed) and although I only tried quite quickly, it certainly seemed to work aok :)

edited December 1969

I already bought the facegen exporter, and now I have purchased the cliff exporter, and my genesis people still won't talk in mimic...I even purchased the TalkDesignerAssistant, nothing makes my genesis talk...

I don't have any dmc in my daz plugin folder....

so it looks like I have to make them talk using the poser graph...such as I use to have to do open and shut mouth with each syllable...not sure if I spelled that right...

some of the dson genesis clothes fit....but...sometimes the clothes explode if I move the neck and sometimes more than that!
    painted on clothes might be best for genesis, using it in poser!

I tried to download my mimic from my history again...and now there is no executable...I'm glad I backed it up previously...I only installled the stand alone...I never installed the daz one...I can't now because it's not there....no executable...now....sigh

edited April 2013

Cassie, I cannot dress Genesis in Poser yet either
    (have now grabbed dimension3D script yet to try http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader )
    I mostly use it in iClone and Carrara but you can just do cut shots rendered in Daz studio if needed, not ideal
    maybe your mimic download corrupt retry and do the standalone Poser version.
    do not think DS4.5 does it from program.

Daz has no copyright in .dmc file so posting it, copy into notepad and save as a .dmc

gesture Raise Left Eyebrow
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      head:1
      CTRLBrowUpL
    gesture Raise Right Eyebrow
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      CTRLBrowUpR
    gesture Blink Left
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      CTRLEyesClosedL
    gesture Blink Right
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      CTRLEyesClosedR
    gesture Head Bend
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      XRotate
    gesture Head Side-Side
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      ZRotate
    gesture Head Twist
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      YRotate
    gesture Left Eye Side-Side
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      lEye:1
      YRotate
    gesture Right Eye Side-Side
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      rEye:1
      YRotate
    gesture Left Eye Up-Down
     min 0.000000
     max 1.000000
     channeldef
      lEye:1
      XRotate
    gesture Right Eye Up-Down
     min 0.000000
     max 5.000000
     channeldef
      rEye:1
      XRotate
    phonemedef 0
    Hue 0.000000
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMIY
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 1
    Hue 18.000000
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMIH
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 2
    Hue 32.400002
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMEH
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 3
     copyof 2
    phonemedef 4
     copyof 2
    phonemedef 5
    Hue 39.599998
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMAA
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 6
     copyof 2
    phonemedef 7
     copyof 5
    phonemedef 8
     copyof 5
    phonemedef 9
     copyof 5
    phonemedef 10
     copyof 11
    phonemedef 11
    Hue 50.400002
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMOW
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 12
     copyof 13
    phonemedef 13
    Hue 63.000000
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMUW
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 14
    Hue 82.800003
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMER
    Collapsed 0
    phonemedef 15
     copyof 5
    phonemedef 16
    Hue 111.599998
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMS
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 17
    Hue 172.800003
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMSH
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 18
     copyof 16
    phonemedef 19
     copyof 17
    phonemedef 20
    Hue 190.799988
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMF
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 21
    Hue 205.199997
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMTH
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 22
     copyof 20
    phonemedef 23
     copyof 21
    phonemedef 24
    Hue 223.199997
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMM
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 25
     copyof 37
    phonemedef 26
     copyof 38
    phonemedef 27
    Hue 252.000000
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSML
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 28
     copyof 29
    phonemedef 29
    Hue 268.200012
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMW
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 30
     copyof 0
    phonemedef 31
     copyof 1
    phonemedef 32
     copyof 24
    phonemedef 33
     copyof 37
    phonemedef 34
     copyof 17
    phonemedef 35
     copyof 38
    phonemedef 36
     copyof 24
    phonemedef 37
    Hue 284.399994
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMT
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 38
    Hue 306.000000
     ChannelDef
      CTRLVSMK
    Collapsed 1
    phonemedef 39
     copyof 17
    phonemedef 40
    Hue 340.200012
     ChannelDef
      CTRLLipsPart
     ChannelDef
      CTRLLipBottomUp
     ChannelDef
      CTRLMouthOpen
    Collapsed 1
    edited December 1969

Dimension3D script works and I can dress her too
    but mimic does not like saved cr2, 2 heads no speech

5.jpg
    1870 x 1040 - 288K
    edited December 1969

ok, nVidia did an update, restarting the saved Dimension3D dson cr2 works in mimic (albeit two heads) using Genesis dmc and pz2 loads in Poser

edited December 1969

Query:- documenting the whole process in my normal style would be a whole bunch of work - hours at least (I work slow). Should I be considering an addendum to my Genesis tut to cover DSON usage? Or just try and run through the process very quickly? Maybe if I find some clothes around here somewhere...?

Cheers,

Cliff

edited April 2013

lol, well I figured it out but for others adding to your tute might be a good idea and possibly increase sales :coolsmirk:

my latest render so far
    will upload finished video eventually (about 500 frames to go)

mum.gif
    500 x 500 - 5M
    edited April 2013

Nah, not so much for new sales....but if people are not finding DSON easy enough it might be just a useful/good thing to do for people who've already bought the tutorial as it currently is.. I'll munch on how much I can add without driving QA or my wife (who keeps wanting me to earn a living) from going insane.

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

and Cassie
    briefly,
    save all your figures and clothes as .duf assets in Daz studio 4.5 and import using Dimension3D py script
    conform to figure
    run DSON py script to transfer morphs
    save your figure in your Poser library
    open that in mimic with the .dmc (use text I posted saved as .dmc in notepad if you cannot find it still)
    analyze sound file
    save pz2 regardless of two heads! in pose folder and it should work!

edited December 1969

sorry Cliff, answering Casina as I pointed her to this thread,
    I just got PoserPro 2012 when she asked if I knew how to make Genesis talk in Poser and had at that point not tried