Daz Question: Can you install something through the manager that you have already manually installed

So I transitioned over from Poser to Daz a while back. Because I had been on Poser for so long I was in the habit of manually installing things. Of course doing it all manually is a mess if you want to remove older assets that you are likely not to use. With the installer that is less of an issue but since I was installing things manually I was wondering what the Daz installer does if it encounters files it is trying to install as already there, and especially what does it do when you later uninstall that package. My hope is I can just do an install of everything I have, since all the files are already there it won't change the overall size of my library, and then if I want to remove something I can just uninstall it from the manager and the files will be cleaned up.

Before I try I would like to see if anyone else has done something like this and what happened in your experience.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

After installing the items with DIM on top of the manual installs, go to Settings > Installation in DIM, right-click on the install path you're using, and choose "Fix Installed File Registry".  That will correct DIM's records of the number of times a file has been installed so that it will uninstall them correctly.

Note:  this will give a bunch of errors in the DIM log, since this feature predates the use of DIM for software and plugin installation; you can ignore those errors.

• After installing the items with DIM on top of the manual installs, go to Settings > Installation in DIM, right-click on the install path you're using, and choose "Fix Installed File Registry".  That will correct DIM's records of the number of times a file has been installed so that it will uninstall them correctly.

Note:  this will give a bunch of errors in the DIM log, since this feature predates the use of DIM for software and plugin installation; you can ignore those errors.

Thanks for the info.  Also can DIM install from folders/subfolders or just zip files?  I have a bunch of the folders unzipped already because my cleanup attempts have sometimes resulted in necessary files being deleted so since I have the space I just unzipped and would go into the appropriate resource, grab the file, and copy it back to my library.  Really having to do that is the reason I am looking into the reinstall and if I can get around having to re-download some of these files I can get started a little quicker.