Iray render - gtx980m vs gtx1070m

Hello all!

Sorry is this is already answered in another discussion, but i can't find the info.

I have a 17.3" asus i7 with a 4gb gtx980m. I can overclock the gpu to somerhing like 1226MHz.

To the question, has anyone compared a gtx980m with the mobile gtx1070? 

Is it much faster regarding render speed? 

BR // Daniel

Comments

• I can't say for sure on the 980 to the 1070 but I did upgrade from a 960 to 1070 so I could tell you about my experience there.

First off, yes I started getting much much faster render speeds.  When it was GPU vs GPU I would say I doubled the speed.  That however is not where I found the most improvement though.  Because the 1070 has more memory a lot more of my renders were able to use the GPU rather than failing back to CPU so in that respect my normal renders went from days to be mostly done to over night and fully done, often time down to an hour or two.  The other thing I saw was that it seemed that the 1070 was better able to deal with the textures and actually the same render used less memory on the 1070 than it did on the 960.  Now I am not sure if those are improvements between the 10XX and 9XX series or if it is from the xx60 to xx70 series, if it is the first one then it is probably well worth the cost to upgrade.  Also just as an aside, because Daz allows you to choose the card you are using for renders I found that if I kept the 960 as my primary video card for my computer then just had my Daz Iray set to use only the 1070 I was able to do things like start a render and still use the computer even for games.  I think I need to increase the RAM in my system but otherwise it has worked wonderfully and means I don't have to lose use of my big render system while it is chugging away.

• Thanks for the answer!

Yes, i also have some problem to fit the scene in the 4gb ram of the 980m card.

I read some ware that daz3d have some product for scene optimaz...I will read up on that.

Anyone know if there is some benchmarks test with this cards?

BR //Daniel 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083

I read some ware that daz3d have some product for scene optimaz...I will read up on that.

Here's the link to Scene Optimizer: https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

The mobile GTX 1070 has the same core config as the desktop version and is also 8GB just like the desktop one.
    In benchmarks the desktop GTX 1060 goes head to head with the desktop GTX 980.
    The notebook GTX 980m is a little slower than the desktop GTX 970
    So......
    Notebook GTX 1070 > GTX 1060 > GTX 970 > GTX 980m
    Plus the Notebook GTX 1070 has 8GB for loading bigger Iray scenes.

All said and done, the notebook GTX 1070 will stomp all over the Notebook GTX 980

• Thanks! Or not, now i have to order a gtx1070 :)

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    Honestly, for the price you will pay for a GTX 1070 equipped notebook... You should build or purchase a custom build desktop equipped with a GTX 1080ti and an 8 core Ryzen 7 CPU. This will get you blazing fast GPU and CPU renders. And the whole machine will run cooler and quieter while doing it.