LAGGAGEDDON DS4

Has anybody noticed a huge lag problem with DS4?

As far as i know, i've got everything installed correctly and i havn't had any technical issues other than the huge lag and the loss of all my plugins from DS3

Is there any way to lessen the incredible impact DS4 is having on my system? i used to have three DS3's running at once. one rendering an animation, one designing a prop and the last working on Dformers, all with little to no issue...
using DS4 i can't even have windows media player running...

I have four gig of ram and, although i'm running Vista, have never experienced anything like the power-drain DAZ now causes...
I am trying to make a scene with four characters, three lights and one large figure for the scenery... but i have to use the decimator and knock everything down to ten percent to even move the camera!

A single figure makes DAZ lag a little and that can't be right... i mean, i click on an outfit, then click on the character afterwards, and it parents the outfit to the figure because it hasn't registered that i lifted my finger off the mouse :S
i hold CTRL to unselect something in a list, and it doesn't register the deselect even though it's no longer hilighted... it's all rather messy

I stop un-needed programmes, set every system opperation to one of my four CPU's and DAZ to the other three and even then i can't seem to get enough smoothness out of it to be able to use it correctly...

i'm a little of a novice when it comes to this kind of thing, but when DAZ is using over 2,300,000K just running... i know that i'm doing something wrong!

Post edited by zededd2000_ec5053ff19 on

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Almost always, this is because of tdlmake.exe. tdlmake.exe is the program that optimizes textures for the render engine. DAZ Studio 3 used to do this immediately before rendering. However, as many people can testify, it occasionally would get hung and you wouldn't be able to render when used in that methodology. To combat this, in DS4, DAZ decided to have tdlmake process images on load. This means that, especially on single and dual core machines, that there is a certain period of time after loading an item where all the CPU power is being consumed by tdlmake.

Dollars to doughnuts that's your issue.

Waiting for tdlmake to finish (use the task manager process view) before moving around will probably resolve your issue.

• edited December 1969

I'm sorry to say, i'm pretty sure that's not it...
    that process isn't taking anywhere near as much power as DS4 is just running on it's own. it's up to three hours after loading the scene and is clearly not because of a little residual process-power-pwnage...

Although i'm gonna try play with TDL on a sepperate, solo processor all its own... i don't think that's going to change when DS4 is using over 2,300,000K just running... i mean, that's two gig on it's own if i'm right... if not then someone tell me what it is because natty is a lill clueless XD

thanks for the replay Adamr, i'm gonna see if it will make a difference... but how can DAZ be using that much power?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited June 2012

2GB of RAM is nothing for DAZ Studio. Depending on your scene, you can easily use far more RAM than you might actually have. I routinely have scenes that have used 8, 9, 10 or even more GBs of RAM.

This one took just under 7GB
    This one took just over 11GB

It only takes 2-3 Genesis figures plus clothing to break the 2GB barrier.

I'm working on another scene right now that's going to end up around 20GB :gulp:

Post edited by adamr001 on
  • edited December 1969

looks like i have to upgrade my computer just to use the new version then :(