*FIXED (though still need tuition)* Help please - Corrupted my G2F character

garadirgaradir Posts: 60

Hi,

I've managed to corrupt the way Daz handles the mesh on G2F which is now my most used figure.  I was trying to create a morph and somehow managed to over-write the base shape that G2F loads with.  I have by zero-ing the figure and saving in a number of ways managed to get it to load the default shape again - however checking the parameters the morphs dials are still set to the figure I was trying to create.  Everytime I now try and apply a morph the face "collapses" - the eye region moves forward a by 1 or 2 on the Z axis, the eyelids become arched, pupils mis-shape and the lacrimals distort.  The lips also mishape and become dis-jointed from the chin region and over-lap+poke through. But it also loads it as a scene, over-writing the camera and backdrop settings rather than loading a figure on it's own.  No other figures are effected, so I've obviously just corrupted the figure not the program and this is pretty impressive user error.

I have tried the following steps to resolve this but have been unsuccessful so far - any suggestions? - (I am guessing that it is corruption in the data folder somewhere but lack of experience in that foler and the size of it leaves my a bit stumped as I can't identify which folder needs deleting/removing):

1.  Removed the Genesis 2 Female folders that I have identified from the data folders in the Connect library, the Daz3D library and as DS had created a data folder under my own subfolder from where I had created some new models and been telling it to save to from there too.

2. Also removed the G2F data folders from and folders in these named as DAZ3D, DAZ or DAZ 3D ...

Those steps have improved it slightly but not fixed it (I moved the folders outside of the DS tree incase they needed putting back, nothing has been deleted yet unless it was labelled as the morph I tried to create).  However all of the morphs I'd previously created still exist in the Morphs root parameter folder of the figure so I'm missing something somewhere ....  One other factor here is that the previous morphs were all done by importing from V4 or G1 to G2F ... this new one was trying to create a G2F shape to a G2F morph so was done differently to all the others.

3. Reinstalled all the Genesis 2 Female packages and Victoria 6 packages ... this has made no difference.

There is one other minor user-created complication ... I can't at present uninstall the figure ... As I never thought I'd be removing it I installed it without letting Windows create an uninstaller to keep the Windows registry smaller (although running the install again would obviously create this - but I'm guessing that as I told it to over-write the existing files and the corruption remains, it is something that is feeding in to it rather than the figure itself).  So where does DS store these settings so that I can delete that folder (or files in it) to stop it?  If I have to uninstall and re-install the figure, what happens to the plug-ins such as Shape? Will they need re-installing or will DAZ simply pick them up from their own data folders? 

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by garadir on

Comments

• When you save a morph the options dialogue lets you specify the folder to use, via a drop down at the top, for the asset files (the \Data folder entries). If you've removed all of the data folders then the figure should simply stop loading, so I think that must be failing. The first thing to do is to work out which morphs are causing problems - you should be able to do this by looking at the Currently Used group in the Parameters pane (though you may need to turn on Show Hidden proeprties in the option menu). Once you know the culprit(s) click the gear icon on the slider and open Parametrs Settings, then set the default value to 0, and finally resave the asset using the same options as on the initial save.

• garadirgaradir Posts: 60

I'm not at home to try that at the moment so will post an update later (question posted from a different machine) - but thank you.  I left any folders that weren't obviously my creation in place as I wasn't sure of the outcome of removing them but the dialog box always does open so I know this problem is my creation.  I haven't seen the 'currently used' option you mentioned as I've never looked for it but will try it as soon as I get back.  Any ideas on why it's affecting the scene properties as well?  It moves the default camera position and changes the environment from my default backdrop of color R39 G39 B39 to no backdrop. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,925

it will be a rogue data dsf just  isolating it the hard bit.

I actually resort to moving the entire figure's data folder then reinstalling the starter essentials if it happens.

then slowly  readd sub folders checking the loaded figure each time

done this so often its not funny!!

So as we all expected removing my morphs and re-adding them bit at a time solved the problem, took ages of searching for the right folder due to a user error (clicked on a folder option I never use) when saving but i got there.  

However, I'm still in the same boat as I was before I meesed things up now .... I can't seem to figure out how to make a custom G2F shape in to a morph that I could distribute or just import on to G3F.  I have previosuly been making the morphs on V4, importing to G1 and then again on to G2F which works fine ... but can't figure out G2F > G2F as it doesn't let me clone that way and exporting and importing isn't working as it tells me the geometry doesn't match, even when setting the export to DAZ defaults on a Base resolution on the figure .... Can anyone help or tell me a good tutorial I can refer to?

P.S.  Thanks for all your help in resolving my breaking it in the first place smiley  

• How are you converting the morph from one figure to the next?

I've tried a number of ways based on how I was converting v4/genesis to G2.  I tried changing the resolution to base and exporting to an object file with the options set as Daz defaults.  That states that the geometry doesn't match when trying to import it again, so just to rule it out tried on High but got the same result.

So after that failed, i tried to clone the figure using the transfer utility.  The actual Clone doesn't list Genesis 2 Female at this point but I have tried selecting Genesis 3, Genesis and selecting nothing.  As per transfering genesis morphs I unticked all the left options except morphs and set the options to all.  No morph dial gets created despite it processing a list of morphs for around 2 minutes.  I repeated these steps using the 'Current' option, that didn't work, and i think it was when i tried selecting default that it over-write the base file causing the original problem above.  

• Exporting as OBJ never works for transfer across generations. Which figure are the morphs on when you try to use the Transfer Utility?

Sorry, I've not been very clear, I am trying to convert a Genesis 2 Female custom shape I have made in to a single morph dial on the Genesis 2 Female so it appears in the Morph Loader parameter group in the figure root with my other V4 created imports, but no other figures were used in creating what I am trying to do this time.  So basically I'm loading a G2F figure A, loading the shape from the file I saved it as, then trying to clone it on to G2F figure B so it appears as a morph that I can then save as a morph asset.

My mentioning v4 etc was only to explain how i'd successfully done it in the past and ways that I've tried to force the result by cloning to a different figure in the hope it works.  I have also tried saving the shaped figure as a morph asset from the File > Save As menu but that didn't work either.

P.S. I may not be able to repsond now for 2 days as travelling away and will be in a rural area with poor internet, I will not be able to attempt any instructions given until my return.

• When you say it's now a single morph dial do you mean it's a baked morph (that dial is driving an imported OBJ file - which is not generally a good way to work as you lose any correction morphs trigged by the components) or is it a master controller that triggers several other morphs?