Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2017

Old Country Farmhouse- the "i" in DIM takes you to a page not found. So I checked the Product page and it does the same thing, link to ReadMe is wrong.
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/48419/start

An easy way to find it is use Content Library>Products and simply enter the name. The full set loads, as do individual props if you want to do it that way. Wanted to mention if you're looking for barrels, potted plants, long strips of grass, a big circle of grass, or individual trees to categorize as separate props, this has all that. The ivy going up the side of the wall can also be put on other vertical surfaces/walls.

Wanted to show you what the Pro-Studio HDR Lighting System does with landscapes. It gives a nice muted / cloudy day appearance.

oldcountryfarmhouseProStudioLites.png
    1100 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Don't be intimidated.  I love it and its not difficult to figure out.  Plus, the vendor is really responsive to answering questions.  I think they may have a thread in the commercial section as well.  I'll see if I can track it down for you.

Okay here is the thread.

@IceDragonArt - Thank you! I read the entire thread and didn't understand most of it, but I got so excited about the product I'm going to buy it anyhow. And, as both you and @Novica have mentioned, RiverSoft Art was impressively responsive to every single question and critique.

On another topic, has anyone else used VYK Esme? I did a few close up test renders of her, and in both iray and 3delight she had this strange bumpy texture under her eyebrows. Is anyone else having these issues? I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with the product or with my rendering skills. I used Painter's Lights for the iray render and the default lights with a spotlight pointed at her face.

vyk ESME 3delight test 1.png
    453 x 598 - 163K
    vyk ESME iray test 2.png
    453 x 598 - 191K

Sorry, can't help with Esme, I don't own her.

@lapetiteverida   One suggestion that might help- if you're trying to figure out a skin problem, if you soften the light the shadows will show you what the problem is, if any. Try doing a Film ISO (first) of 135 and an Exposure Value of 14.65 to 15  (and do it in that order, ISO first, as that moves the E.Value slider.) See if the soft light shows the problem.Painter's Lights is a good lighting set.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited November 2017

Don't be intimidated.  I love it and its not difficult to figure out.  Plus, the vendor is really responsive to answering questions.  I think they may have a thread in the commercial section as well.  I'll see if I can track it down for you.

Okay here is the thread.

On another topic, has anyone else used VYK Esme? I did a few close up test renders of her, and in both iray and 3delight she had this strange bumpy texture under her eyebrows. Is anyone else having these issues? I'm trying to figure out if the issue is with the product or with my rendering skills. I used Painter's Lights for the iray render and the default lights with a spotlight pointed at her face.

I've noticed the same. It's the texture that is that way so nothing to do other than edit it or do some postwork if you want to get rid of it, I guess.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited November 2017

Have anyone tried any of the HDRI Clean Skies packages (another one released today)? I like them as such but the skies don't look very "clean" to me, in the sense that I see something that looks like compression artifacts on the promos that make the skies look sort of dirty. I wonder it it's just the promos or if they really look like that. It's a deal breaker for me, just returned an HDRI package with the same problem, from another artist.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

With HDRI images make sure it isn't the .jpg image you are using. It will work but can look pixelated or have artifacts unless you set the dome to Finite and set the resolution and radius to match. This also helps with HDRI that are low resolution. There are some of course that are so bad they just don't work at all :)

Fishtales said:

With HDRI images make sure it isn't the .jpg image you are using. It will work but can look pixelated or have artifacts unless you set the dome to Finite and set the resolution and radius to match. This also helps with HDRI that are low resolution. There are some of course that are so bad they just don't work at all :)

OK, but I'd assume that with a finished product there are preset that loads the correct file with the correct settings. At least that was the case with the product I returned. I'd also expect the promos to be based on the HDRI.

I never use presets, I always adjust for the render I am doing. I have used very few HDRI that haven't needed something done to make them look good. Even the Yosemite ones, which I think are the only ones I have that are from a set the rest are ones downloaded from various sites, need adjusting for some renders.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I've stopped buying HDRI. I used to be a total addict, but I find too much sameness in the quality of light and they don't produce results I can use.

edited November 2017

Princess Aqua for Genesis 8 Female      Sci-Fi Samurai for Genesis 8 Female     Strike Back Outfit for Genesis 8 Female

Hmm, how do you dress an Aqua Princess? Well, thinking futuristic, I kept her out of the water and went with the Samurai outfit (with parts turned off) with the Strike Back bodysuit under it. Then decided you might like an ultra-closeup of her. If you have a slower computer- She renders quickly:
    30% at 45 seconds
    62% by 1:03
    87% by 1:45
    Done by 3:37

princessAquaSciFiSamurai.png
    500 x 1300 - 648K
    princessAquaSciFiSamurai2.png
    675 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    Fishtales said:

I never use presets, I always adjust for the render I am doing. I have used very few HDRI that haven't needed something done to make them look good. Even the Yosemite ones, which I think are the only ones I have that are from a set the rest are ones downloaded from various sites, need adjusting for some renders.

OK. I'm not so much for fiddling too much with stuff, prefer things that works more or less out of the box. And I would expect something bought in the DAZ store would work OK by default. But maybe not.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Awww aqua princess is a cutie!  Great job showcasing her.  She's either going on the wishlist or in the cart now.

edited November 2017

I've stopped buying HDRI. I used to be a total addict, but I find too much sameness in the quality of light and they don't produce results I can use.

I use them rarely too, it's mostly because I'm looking for some clear or just slightly clouded dome skies which seem to be hard to find in a good quality. Maybe I'll just stick with Dreamlight's which is just a set of presets for the IRay sky, but at least it hasn't any artifacts.

Post edited by Taoz on
    Novica said:

Hmm, how do you dress an Aqua Princess?

In a bathing or diver suit?

edited November 2017

Glad to see Moussa in the store, but let's also recognize another new vendor- awesome stuff! Shout out to @AcharyaPolina with the Sci-Fi Barrels and the adorable Sci-Fi Flying Drone.  That is out of the box, no special effects added. The emissive lights are already glowing for you. Wonderful, detailed products, keep 'em coming!

@worldsedge  I love her flipper feet. I left them that way in the render (the toes flipping up.) 

scifi barrels and drone.png
    738 x 800 - 745K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Hmm, how do you dress an Aqua Princess?

In a bathing or diver suit?

LOL...but everyone does that. 

• pruggipruggi Posts: 151
    Novica said:

Glad to see Moussa in the store, but let's also recognize another new vendor- awesome stuff! Shout out to @AcharyaPolina with the Sci-Fi Barrels and the adorable Sci-Fi Flying Drone.  That is out of the box, no special effects added. The emissive lights are already glowing for you. Wonderful, detailed products, keep 'em coming!

This is so cute! Love it, the textures are great

Taoz said:

I use them rarely too, it's mostly because I'm looking for some clear or just slightly clouded dome skies which seem to be hard to find in a good quality. Maybe I'll just stick with Dreamlight's which is just a set or presets for the IRay sky, but at least it hasn't any artifacts.

I find that the dome changes every HDRI that I put into it, even high resolution ones. I don't know what it does but they are either not sharp or are lighter than they should be. It might just be my settings though but I do get the odd one that is 'nearly' the same :)

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455
    Novica said:

@worldsedge  I love her flipper feet. I left them that way in the render (the toes flipping up.) 

Wow! Those are amazing - unbelievable for out of the box, imo. and I need something just like that. Princess Aqua is gorgeous also.

edited November 2017

I'm so happy for all the support you all are giving this thread, thought I'd go back a few days and point out the great contributors for the past few pages (Going back about 6 pages.)

And do a fun motivating (I hope) challenge!

Look at your past ten items purchased, and showcase at least one of them here. I'm going down my list in the Product Library and rendering as many as I can. (Yeah, there's no correlation between the Aqua Princess and Sci-Fi barrels/drones, not on a sci-fi fantasy kick)  So let's see what you've got! And don't worry about doing something someone else has already done. We do that all the time. Don't just buy...render! (And re-posting things from your own Art Studio thread, gallery, etc is fine too.) 

I just do default, "out of the boxes" (to get the products seen quicker) so these don't have to be scenes (but scenes are fine too of course.)  Let's see how many products we can cover through the weekend (as usual, good quality renders please, no WIPs.)  I'm going to be doing housework and starting renders/running errands, but I'll see if I can keep the renders coming and maybe get far enough back into the PA sale items. These showcases do NOT HAVE TO BE NEW ITEMS. It's just what you've bought in the past month or two.  And vendors, feel free to contribute and showcase your stuff, love to see it!

Here's what we've done JUST in the past six pages: (and wow, we're headed toward THREAD TEN!) Going to abbreviate the titles, you'll get the gist. So thanks to all the people who keep the products in the spotlight! 

Marc (M8) , Morley Hair   (Novica)
    FWSA Jett (G8M), Kieron Hair/Whiskers  (Novica)
    Sarah  (Cismic)
    Marc (M8)  (Nemesis10)
    The Exploding Hinata Dress (@Nath)  (Couldn't resist. It's the official Best Product Of The Thread) 
    George Hair and Beard, Time Rogue Outfit  (Fishtales)

Adriana (G8F), Eclectic Hair (G3F), Jewelry Basics (G3F), Tonal Rage Tone Mapping Toolkit (Iray), Ultra Genesis Studio Vol 1 Box Lights, Hoops Jewelry (G8F)  (Cismic)

Candy, Bedhead Hair  (Worlds_Edge)
    Angelica (G8F)  (IceDragonArt, Cismic, Nath, Taoz)
    Angelica and Darius  (Pruggi)
    Billy, Ryan Hair (Worlds_Edge)

LY Glitter Sweet Girls (Joy)   (Barbult, Cismic)
    Ultra Genesis Studio Vol 2 Ring Flash, (Tonal Rage again), Denim Jumper Outfit (G8F), Sabela Hair  (Cismic)
    Tiana for Monique 8, Miranda Hair (Novica)
    Blazer and Skinny Jeans Outfit (G8F)  (Novica)
    FW Laverne (Monique 8), Pascale Hair, Goddess Minerva Outfit (G8F)   (Novica)

Skin Masters for Monique 6  (Taoz)
    FWSA Imani (Monique 8),  Looking Back Outfit (Gen8F),  Pixie Pretty Hair (Gen8F)   (Novica)
    Alondra (Monique 8), Strike Back Outfit (G8F),  Happenstance Hair (G8F)   (Novica)
    Marigold Hair  (Wonderland)
    Hidden Waterfall Pool   (Fishtales, L'Adair)

Kallisto (Gen3/8F), Messy Updo Hair (G8F)   (Novica)
    Dforce primitive cube cushions (Example, not a product)  (RGcincy)
    Chosen Outfit  (Novica)
    Laverne (Monique 8), Scion Skin, Genesis 8 UV Swap  (Pruggi)
    The Night Before Christmas  (Novica)

Old Country Farmhouse, Pro-Studio HDR Lighting System  (Novica)
    Princess Aqua (G8F), Sci-Fi Samurai (G8F), Strike Back Outfit (G8F)   (Novica)
    Sci-Fi Barrels, Sci-Fi Drone  (Novica)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2017
    Fishtales said:
    Taoz said:

I use them rarely too, it's mostly because I'm looking for some clear or just slightly clouded dome skies which seem to be hard to find in a good quality. Maybe I'll just stick with Dreamlight's which is just a set or presets for the IRay sky, but at least it hasn't any artifacts.

I find that the dome changes every HDRI that I put into it, even high resolution ones. I don't know what it does but they are either not sharp or are lighter than they should be. It might just be my settings though but I do get the odd one that is 'nearly' the same :)

The lack of sharpness seems to be common and one of the reasons I'm not much for HDRIs that includes environment. Not sure what the reason is either, maybe they're just low resolution pictures that are upsized (if that makes any sense with an HDRI?). The one I've used here is 328 MB and genuine high resolution I assume, at least it looks pretty sharp to me. I've tried to reduce the size to 1/4 but then it gets very blurred.

unicorn_castle_02a.jpg
    1780 x 1070 - 376K
    Post edited by Taoz on

If it has a .hdr or .exr extension and it is in MB rather than KB then it is the full image the KB one is the light only with no image.

• So, I don't remember if I asked this before... 

Sometimes, I'll be posing characters, and their "center" will get off, where if I rotate on an axis, it is like the figure is on the outside of a sphere and rotating around a point in the middle. Zero poses don't seem to fix this, and manually setting all the X Y and Z translations and rotations to 0 will often still have the figure "tilted" one way or another... not just standing there in the center with their arms out like they had just been loaded. 

Is there any way to get a figure back to default when this happens? Does anyone even understand what I'm trying to say? 

• AtanaciusAtanacius Posts: 333
    edited November 2017
    RGcincy said:
    Most users of Daz Studio are familiar with Daz scripts but most do not know how to write them. Scripts can do all sorts of things, easily seen if you take a look at the 100's of scripts published by mCasual.  For those wanting to learn to write their own scripts, a new series was started recently by @Winterbrose. The first two installments have been published (SCRIPTING Made Simple Vol-1: Intro to Daz Scripting and SCRIPTING Made Simple Vol-2: Mathematics and Looping in Daz Script). I am very familiar with scripting, and have used several scripting and programming languages. I have not done any scripting in DS and thought these products might be a good way to get started. Here's my review of these first two products.
    RGcincy said:

These are well-made products. Each comes with a 36-38 page PDF for those who learn best from the written word and 5-6 video segments for those who like to learn that way. The videos come in two different formats, wmv for Windows and mp4's  that can be used for Macs and most all other devices like phones and tablets. 

The PDF's are well structured with a table of content, lots of screen shots, example scripts for you to type in and test, and a logical flow. I found them very easy to read and follow along. The teaching starts from the very basic (how to get to the Script IDE) through case sensitivity, variable definition, basic math and string manipulation, conditional statements (e.g., if-then) and looping statements. At the beginning of the second PDF there is a one page review of the key points from the first volume. Not only are the PDF's good for learning they also serve as a lasting reference document, and if you print them out, you could make margin notes as you go along.

I personally do not care much for video tutorials so I did not look at all of them but I did look at a few. The speaker was easy to understand, the sound was clear, the screen shots were large and easy to read, they followed the flow outlined in the PDF's, and in several cases had an additional example or two. 

As an experienced programmer, I debated buying these. Daz does have online documentation for scripting but there are missing links and the structure is fragmented. Much that was published in the old forums is lost.  There is a Daz Script Developer forum but the discussions are mostly aimed at those who already know the language. You could learn to script from those resources or by reviewing the mCasual scripts which are not encrypted, but I think if you are new to programming, a more structured step-by-step approach as these two products follow would be more helpful.

My one complaint about the product is the cost. I don't know how many volume are planned, but at a list price of $34.95, even five volumes would be $175 which is a pretty good investment in a course. I got them at half off as part of the sale, but that is still substantial. If you are a new programmer, the first two won't be enough to teach you to script so recognize you will have to get future volumes as well. Perhaps the PA will offer a bundle at some point or provide some way to reward those who purchase along as they are released.

If you want to try them out, I'd suggest skipping number one to start and getting number two which has a brief review of the first volume and is more focused on scripting rather than the IDE. If you like the second, you can then go back and get the first.

Ah.. Thanks.. I debated myself on these products..

I'm an experienced developper myself too (PHP/Javascript/MySQL/Symfony/C#).. And some other languages.

It is my job in fact.

Anyway.. I feel the sensation to be a bit lost in how to start to developing a script in DAZ Studio. Then.. As the volume 1 and 4 are for sale.. I will purchase them since you said it is a great series to learn.

Also I mainly debated to purchase them due to not know very much if PDF's documents was the same content as VIDEOS wrapped in the product.

It seems yes (as a non English speaker.. Videos tutorials aren't my taste.)

Thanks for your feedbacks on these products!

Post edited by Atanacius on
    edited November 2017

So, I don't remember if I asked this before... 

Sometimes, I'll be posing characters, and their "center" will get off, where if I rotate on an axis, it is like the figure is on the outside of a sphere and rotating around a point in the middle. Zero poses don't seem to fix this, and manually setting all the X Y and Z translations and rotations to 0 will often still have the figure "tilted" one way or another... not just standing there in the center with their arms out like they had just been loaded. 

Is there any way to get a figure back to default when this happens? Does anyone even understand what I'm trying to say? 

Select the figure on the Scene tab, then select the Joint Editor Tool. You should see a green XYZ handle somewhere at the ground plane. The figure will pivot around the center of this handle. Move it so it aligns with the Hip bone (its zero position I guess, see screenshot), that should fix it. Just something I discovered by experimenting, there's probably a better technical explanation in some of the rigging tutorials out there.

center_pivot.jpg
    241 x 171 - 10K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited November 2017

DM's Serenity Court

Okay, answering my own challenge, the next one up was DM's Serenity Court. I just left the Pro Studio lights for the lighting. 

A quick tip on this one- instead of my usual 135 Film ISO and Exposure Value 14.65 (ish) I went with the following:   In Tone Mapping, started with ISO 311.04 and did Exposure Value of 13.59  (remember, the higher the ISO and LOWER Exposure Value, it's more light.)  This is with the Mitchell filtering of 1.35 and Noise Degrain Filter of 2.00, Radius 4, Blur Difference 0.16  (you find these in the Render Pane>Filtering. You may remember RGcincy and I tested Mitchell vs Gaussian, he did a nice comparison with a city scene (of course, LOL.) Our results varied. All the portraits and showcases I do are with the Mitchell settings.

I then used the Surface Tool to slightly add gray to the columns and avoid losing details. The water renders nicely, for those of you who hate putzing with water this is again "out of the box) I had to laugh, I forgot and left the gray/pink background from the Sci-Fi Barrels, and it gave a nice glow in the background windows. Happy accident.

The water is much better IMO (not showing the Gaussian, but it had more noise.)

So again, Mitchell filtering of 1.35 and Noise Degrain Filter of 2.00, Radius 4, Blur Difference 0.16  Then the second is Blur Difference upped from 0.16 to .75   I just want to change one variable at a time.   With that, I saw barely any difference (clicking back and forth, eyeing it to a miniscule degree.) 

This keeps the Blur Difference upped to .75 but I changed the Noise Degrain FILTER from 2.0 to 4.00  Again, not seeing muh, if anything. 

Overall, I'm having a hard time seeing any difference. That's because the lighting really isn't enough to get rid of the noise. Click each one (will open in a new window) and focus on one part of the water, see if anything changes for you. Try not to get cross-eyed LOL.

Got sidetracked, going to do errands and then will render another one for you. 

serenity courtBlurDiffpt16.png
    843 x 900 - 1M
    serenity courtBlurDiffpt75.png
    843 x 900 - 1M
    serenity courtBlurDiffpt75Filter4.png
    843 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    20171116_Kallisto.png
    976 x 982 - 1M

Fantasy Tavern  -  https://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/11851 - old item just gone PC+.

3DL render using one of the Skin Masters lights.
    Iray render using Dome and Scene light (removed a wall).
    Each took about 7 min. (1070 card).

fantasy_tavern_3DL.jpg
    1780 x 1041 - 1M
    fantasy_tavern_iray.jpg
    1780 x 1041 - 2M
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629

I've only been using daz for 10 months but I've picked up a few of the hdri's. these are the ones I've picked up this past year. 

Fantasy IBL - Above the Clouds HDRI ( just started setting this up but so far looks good)
    SLP Iray HDRI Mastery ( use once in awhile) 
    Studio Light PRO Iray HDRI - 180 Maps ( works excellent in open spaces, and some in rooms )
    Iray Promo Lights & HDRI Render Settings ( used on a couple of images mostly rim lights)
    Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes Vol 4 - Sunset ( I have used this with sucess in several images )
    Iray HDRI Storms Lightning and Desert ( I used this a lot for zombies and cemetary stuff)
    First Light Skydome and HDRI ( just started using this so far looks good) 
    Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes Vol 3 - Vega System ( I like the rotaions with these hdris)

I use the Mars 360 often as well. Can get some great backgrounds. I just find that positioning items is the most time consuming thing to ensure that image really works with background.

With rotations around and up and down with most of the hdri's you can get some great images.  Each kit has something different. 

I know you can dial in many of the settings but the one click has captured my attention. For Bloom, intensities etc. I keep one window open on one monitor with settings and another with full view of the viewport before images are added and I can rotate quite fast to see how I want the dome's to appear. With each set I watch the settings to see what effects things. I found that the dome multiplie set any whare from 1 to 300 works. Well, with enough clicking :-) I can actually see the domes get tighter and more clear with the light dome multiplier settings.  For example. This image not yet complete as I keep buying things to add. Next will be towels.  etc. :-)

I'm going thru and documenting image this week as I try and now where I'm using things.  I'm just curious and try various settings to see what works especially after watching the forums and coming up with a base set of settings that I use on each image.  Still learning myself. 

Feeling Someone is Watching Two.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 857K
This discussion has been closed.