Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    jakiblue said:

I seem to own them all LOL tho i never purchased the bundle. Just confirming they are definitely for 3Delight , not iray. But not poser lights - Dreamlight started out lighting for DS, not poser and his stuff is ds native. They are really good 3delight light sets, if you use it. :)

barbult said:

So Dreamlight Light Set Bundle - 7 in 1 is in fast grab today, it doesn't say iray so I'm guessing it's 3delight lights??? Can someone verify that for me? 

From the really old SKU number, I'd assume 3Delight. Probably really Poser lights brought over to DS.

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to hear from someone who actually owns them. smiley

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    jakiblue said:

I've got most of his hairs on my wishlist but haven't yet pulled the plug as I'm unsure whether they'd hog my system. Do you find them very resource intensive (in iray)? Or do they render like any other hair? 

I also bought Redz' 'Oh My Lashes' and 'Real Curly' (both for G3F) over at Rendo, as free G8 fits were available for both products. I'd have probably bought those sooner if I'd known they were there though. I already had 'Oh My Brows' for G3F (which fits G8 too) and love it, but I'm not a big Rendo shopper.

Those I've got render like any other hair. I use a laptop with 8MB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 820M (dedicated video memory 128MB, total available graphics memory 2176MB) - in other words, if it were any lower spec it would probably be a kids' Speak and Spell machine. If I can use Redz' hairs then I expect almost anyone can :)

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited July 2017
    jakiblue said:

I've got most of his hairs on my wishlist but haven't yet pulled the plug as I'm unsure whether they'd hog my system. Do you find them very resource intensive (in iray)? Or do they render like any other hair? 

I also bought Redz' 'Oh My Lashes' and 'Real Curly' (both for G3F) over at Rendo, as free G8 fits were available for both products. I'd have probably bought those sooner if I'd known they were there though. I already had 'Oh My Brows' for G3F (which fits G8 too) and love it, but I'm not a big Rendo shopper.

Those I've got render like any other hair. I use a laptop with 8MB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 820M (dedicated video memory 128MB, total available graphics memory 2176MB) - in other words, if it were any lower spec it would probably be a kids' Speak and Spell machine. If I can use Redz' hairs then I expect almost anyone can :)

Speaking as someone who has no NVIDIA Graphics card, only 8gb of RAM and rendering on CPU only, on a laptop, I also can render it. It tended toward slow when I was still using 4.8, but I recently finally updated to 4.9 and it seems to render faster for me. And it looks great too.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2017

A few more quickies from Rendo, the SAV Alpha Scalp (a lot of different options, only one shown) and VH Nandi (which for some reason, would not install using DIM and the package assist product. Had to do it by hand.)

Nandi is wearing the OOT Side Tail Hair out of the box.  I used IDG Shiny Scales Shaders on the shirt, which don't have to be shiny and make great shirt textures.  She's V4. I mentioned in a previous post, I don't like the default eyebrows, they're "sleek" and shiny and need more texture. The only thing I'm tweaking is the skin, converting to Iray when needed.

Look at how poorly Victoria 4 poses- that ultra-rounded shoulder and the crease!

alphaScalpRENDO.png
    439 x 500 - 336K
    NandiRENDOsidetailhair2.png
    610 x 900 - 758K
    NandiRENDOsidetailhair.png
    610 x 900 - 678K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I love the alphascalp and use it often. It's an oldie but a goodie.

@serenenight   Did you get all your categories redone/fixed? Thought about you last night while I was categorizing/packaging these. 

I don't think I got an answer from you folks- other than exporting user data, is there anything else to do so far as backing up the content? And where exactly does that backed up user data go? I never did find it. Did you see the post in Commons about adding search features to the files? Won't do it for the products, just the files, then you (IIRC) go to the product from there.

edited July 2017

Over Half A Million Views / Posts!

Okay, for you loyal thread surfers, going to give you a heads up so you can get started early.  DO NOT POST RENDERS YET OR DISCUSS WHAT YOU'RE DOING. At the end of this month, I will be holding a celebratory contest (here in Art Studio, but NOT in my thread. It will be a separate one) to mark more than half a million views/ posts for my showcase threads! We passed half a million and are now at 507,925  views/posts since September 2013. The contest will run the month of August, but you can get started now as you can do five renders and get more opportunities to win. 

The winners will be determined by random drawing, a minimum 10 people must enter. There will be FIVE winners of $10 gift cards and ONE winner of a $25 gift card. If 10 people (not renders, people)  do not enter, I will do a drawing for two $10 gift cards. For each render submitted (up to 5 per person) your name is submitted for the drawing, so 5 entries equals 5 slips of paper for you for the drawing. You can only win once, however. The $25 drawing will be done first, so everyone has a chance at that one. 

Keeping the forum participation results in mind, I think it will be fun to do a theme around it. So let's see how creative/whacky you can get! 

Here's your 4 themes: (You can use each one more than once, use different ones for your renders, or just use one for all of them)  When the contest starts, you'll be labeling your render with one of these as the title. You have three statements, and one concept. Looking forward to seeing these! (the last one made me laugh just thinking about what you're going to come up with.) 

"The forums made me do it."
    "The forums gave me the idea.  Isn't this great?" 
     "I'd rather be on the forums."  (Character can either say it, or be very identifiable as thinking it.)

Things people do to try and keep you off the forums. (LOL, remember the TOS and keep it family friendly!) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I wanted to showcase a couple of things with this render.  Raw Arts Raptor Dragon is very cool, and quite unique even though it uses the Daz Dragon 3.  It definitely looks like a cross between a raptor (dinosaur) and a dragon and the textures and details are gorgeous.  The wings are translucent with the sun shining through them and have feathers.  Also, I'm sure you've seen the recent additions to the Epic Skydomes series PA_Philosopher has been putting out.  This is the first one Cloud Haven.  Once you understand how these work they are pretty easy to use.  I loaded the Cloud Haven, dropped the dragon in, posed him, rotated a little bit and that was all except for the Ghost Light I used by his face, because facing away from the sun, you couldn't see his face at all.

edited July 2017

Here's what I can tell you:

backup userdatas are stored in the runtime<support folder. They are usually called userdata1, userdata2 etc. drag those to an external hd once a month and save them.

Here's what I backup:

the entire downloads folder. This is where all the dim installers go.

the user datas

daz studio and dim installer for the software 

my personal presets folder where my altered stored files go 

my personally created dim installers and the original non-daz installers

the directory where cms is installed

my Photoshop presets folder and any software and plugins purchased elsewhere like the topaz studio ones or envato with the serial numbers

Periodically I back up the entire installation of daz studio with all the directories and content at least twice a year

i also backup all the poses I have converted to Genesis 3 and completed scene files and saved renders

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,137

By the way, I think that the log file shows the full path to where Userdata has been stored.

Novica said:

@serenenight   Did you get all your categories redone/fixed? Thought about you last night while I was categorizing/packaging these. 

No no I did not. My stuff is partially working and hours of work has been lost. Categorizing poser content is particularly arduous and I'm just not doing it until I need it. I can only do so much of the repetitive stuff like categorizing because of a repetive strain injury. It bugs me that we can't multiple select groups of items

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

V4's shoulder and armpits are the WORST! LOL. 

For those who still use V4 regularly and want to fix those armpits/shoulders, there's a brilliant product at the "other" store by Corvas called SimpleDetailsV4. I bought it WAY back when I still used V4 and it eliminates those armpit problems brilliantly. It's a product that I wish everyone who uses V4 would use - I still cringe and die a little inside when I see art with V4 in the galleries and her armpit crease is practically all the way to her ear! Also check his freebies there - he's got a free "smooth details" that enhances the Simple Details or can be used alone. 

Novica said:

Look at how poorly Victoria 4 poses- that ultra-rounded shoulder and the crease!

edited July 2017

Here's a fun Rendo product and a few from here to note, when you want to change materials or need a rug that looks a bit "older." This is Old Theater Changing Room, default, then with the daylight light option. I Uber Based everything and chose glass shaders for the bulbs, I decreased the glossy and increased the bump on the lower wall (panel), I plastic shadered several table items, (left the hand mirror where it was, although it appears to float),  changed the hat and the material on the chair using Parrot Dolphin's PD Iray Shader Kit.  Both kit 1 and 2 have very classy, elegant patterns. I didn't experiment with any of the wood.

If you need a rug, Lazy Afternoon has this one. The rug in the product is part of the floor and NOT a separate item. (SIGH)  

There are different light settings for the bulbs. For mine in the second render, I turned them off. Want to mention the props seem to be good, just reshader them, and the vendor has Steampunk Workdesk- The Clutter and it's about $5 if you are Prime and that's SIXTY props.

TIP:  If you need a mirror or to replace a 3DL mirror with an Iray one, try Mirror Mirror.  There's round, rectangle, and oval- all the sizes you need. Just use Surfaces and Cutout Opacity the frames, and slide the mirror into place. Fast and easy.  Note how the chair/material now reflects nicely in the mirror from Mirror Mirror. 

ORIGINAL- mirror doesn't work, wall panel too glossy, rug too glossy, etc.

Tweaked. Mirror works, wall panel has more bump, put down real rug, etc.

oldtheaterIrayUberBase.png
    910 x 900 - 2M
    oldtheaterMINE.png
    910 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

jakiblue said:

V4's shoulder and armpits are the WORST! LOL. 

For those who still use V4 regularly and want to fix those armpits/shoulders, there's a brilliant product at the "other" store by Corvas called SimpleDetailsV4. I bought it WAY back when I still used V4 and it eliminates those armpit problems brilliantly. It's a product that I wish everyone who uses V4 would use - I still cringe and die a little inside when I see art with V4 in the galleries and her armpit crease is practically all the way to her ear! 

Yep, if people are going to use her regularly, that would be a must! (I'm just testing morphs and mats to transfer up, and going at a steady pace so people can at least see the mats/morphs.  I'm still way back in purchases from 2014. UGH.) 

I wanted to showcase a couple of things with this render.  Raw Arts Raptor Dragon is very cool, and quite unique even though it uses the Daz Dragon 3.  It definitely looks like a cross between a raptor (dinosaur) and a dragon and the textures and details are gorgeous.  The wings are translucent with the sun shining through them and have feathers. 

Those wings are gorgeous with the light coming through them. Thanks for sharing! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks!  All of that is kudos to Raw Art, I literally did nothing but pose him.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Novica said:

It took me about fifteen minutes to get back to the apartment, take down the birdfeeder, load it, and drive around to the new place. So,  I step on the porch, and only the light from the room is lighting it- so it's not much- and I decide to step forward to let my presence be known. Had I thought what I looked like, I may have thought twice about holding the shepherd hook (black) and wearing a black shirt with thin white stripes that didn't really show up-  and being on a porch at night. The African American nurse happened to look up right when I stepped forward and waved, and her hand flew to her throat and she gasped. She told my sister she thought the Grim Reaper had come to the door because of the black "staff" in my hand! She started laughing so hard, she doubled over.

This would make a great render!

I haven't been rendering (or buying) anything the past week plus as I'm out west on a trip. The big highlight was my son got married last week in the mountains of Washington State. They only announced their plans a couple of weeks ago, so a lot happened in a short time. That's 3 out of 3 kids married now, maybe some more grandchildren soon? 

RGcincy said:

I haven't been rendering (or buying) anything the past week plus as I'm out west on a trip.

Glad to hear you're having a lovely time! Sad to hear about so many fires raging out West though, thinking about everyone out there. Get back safe! 

edited July 2017

Flash sales SEVENTY PERCENT OFF for i13 and Dreamlight. Personally, I find i13 poses has many poses which are similar in the different sets and it's not worth picking up any more. I focus on the sets with furniture or sets themselves when they're 70% off. I can't do those, whereas I CAN do poses.

For Dreamlight, I went with lighting for sets that I have, and for sets. Read carefully, because there are actual sets in the store, not just lighting for other people's products.  I'll edit this post and add the things I got/ some sets- but read below on the product page as some of these are in bundles. (I don't waste my money on overly sexy clothes that IMO the real-life people wouldn't wear.) 

So if you want to shop these first (in case the Flash sale ends) here's some of the sets: (this is the first page, to get you started. Most have bundles.) 

Foxy Lounge               Vacation Environment               Dreams of the Past            i13 Dorm Interior

Dental Office Interior         Clothing Boutique Interior          Private Jet and Poses      Tanning Salon Environment  

Library Environment          Real Estate Agent's Office        Stylish Apartment       Bathroom Interior

For Dreamlight, I got the lighting for the Urban Future 3      Abandoned City 2 (and can be used for other cities, so note that!) 
    Venezia Suite   and the set  Secret Ancient Catacombs

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited July 2017
    Novica said:

Flash sales SEVENTY PERCENT OFF for i13 and Dreamlight. Personally, I find i13 poses has many poses which are similar in the different sets and it's not worth picking up any more. I focus on the sets with furniture or sets themselves when they're 70% off. I can't do those, whereas I CAN do poses.

For Dreamlight, I went with lighting for sets that I have, and for sets. Read carefully, because there are actual sets in the store, not just lighting for other people's products.  I'll edit this post and add the things I got/ some sets- but read below on the product page as some of these are in bundles. (I don't waste my money on overly sexy clothes that IMO the real-life people wouldn't wear.) 

So if you want to shop these first (in case the Flash sale ends) here's some of the sets: (this is the first page, to get you started. Most have bundles.) 

Foxy Lounge               Vacation Environment               Dreams of the Past            i13 Dorm Interior

Dental Office Interior         Clothing Boutique Interior          Private Jet and Poses      Tanning Salon Environment  

Library Environment          Real Estate Agent's Office        Stylish Apartment       Bathroom Interior

For Dreamlight, I got the lighting for the Urban Future 3      Abandoned City 2 (and can be used for other cities, so note that!) 

I picked up the Steakhouse Bundle, Modern Barn Bundle, and LAZY Days Pose Collection. I really do need some good sitting poses! And I'm curious to see how well the pose sitting a horse works...

ETA: I crossed over to the darkside, last night. I bought a pair of shoes for G8F! Muahahahaha!

Post edited by L'Adair on

I like the Lazy Days, thanks for pointing it out. I'll pick that up- and take a peek at the Gossip and Lies too.

edited July 2017

How do you say cute? If you're looking to decorate a child's room, or just have adorable paintings, mugs, and pillows- look up Art of Fiona over at Rendo. This would go great with sets like Sleeping Cutie Bedroom Furniture    Dream Home Childrens Furniture   and Nursery

Many more options, only a few shown! 
    Edit- or you can turn a plain, regular room into a child's room!

artoffiona.png
    910 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2017

So let's talk fruit. From Rendo, I packaged Exnem's Fruit, which is shown in the second (lower) half. It has pineapples, apples, bananas, melons, mangos- even a mamey. Don't ask, I don't know. And that's only a sample of the fruit. What you would like about that set is the sliced and peeled versions, not just plain fruit. These had Uber Base applied but I didn't do anything else, like I said, I am just testing to see if the files are working once I pack/install. So they're all too shiny and need some bump/roughing up.

Wanted to show you a Daz fruit product. In the upper half, you get MHE Fruit which is Modern Home Essentials Fruit. That one has cherries and blueberries, in addition to many of the ones from Exnem's.  Only a small sample is shown. And the bowls! Preloaded and ready to go. Also, showing you two out of the three plate sets.  I used the oranges for my forum Christmas card!

fruit.png
    910 x 900 - 930K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Novica, when you get around to playing with the "Abandoned City 2" light set, let me know your thoughts. I have a bone to pick with that product LOL and I'm curious whether it's just me.  

Novica said:

or Dreamlight, I got the lighting for the Urban Future 3      Abandoned City 2 (and can be used for other cities, so note that!) 

I like exnems fruit. It is odd they render shiny since the product states it is for iray

I like exnems fruit. It is odd they render shiny since the product states it is for iray

Could be that I applied Uber Base. I missed that it was for Iray. Or it could be the lights. :) 

Oh, here we go. I remember having trouble with this the first time I tried GenX2. No matter what I do, dragging Victoria over (the cr2) nothing shows up in the source. All the files flash and it says "finished" but no source. So I used the Load Figure, same thing. Source text box stays blank. What the heck?  (For anyone trying to use Load Figure, that's Content>Runtime>Libraries>Character>DAZ People>Victoria 4.2)  So if it won't drag, and won't load figure, what else can I do?

edited July 2017

Okay, in that popup that flashes with "Finished" it says 

GenX - Loading figure: Victoria 4.2
    Loading figure file ...
    Resolving script calls ...
    Loading geometry file ...
    D:/Daz/Content/Runtime/Geometries/DAZPeople/blMilWom_v4b.obj  (Is a cr2 file an object?) 
    Poser figure not supported.

and I'm doing it the same way as two videos do it.

EDIT: I looked ahead and the problem is probably that Genesis 3 Female is auto filled as the target. Can't take Victoria 4.2 t o Genesis 3, IIRC I have to go to Genesis.  Going to watch the video to get past step one, but it's probably due to the target being auto filled that way.  EDIT: But it won't let me go back any further than Genesis 2 for the target. So again, now what???

Post edited by Novica on

BTW, remember when there were great deals? Look at this- I paid $6 for GenX2. 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,679
    Novica said:

Oh, here we go. I remember having trouble with this the first time I tried GenX2. No matter what I do, dragging Victoria over (the cr2) nothing shows up in the source. All the files flash and it says "finished" but no source. So I used the Load Figure, same thing. Source text box stays blank. What the heck?  (For anyone trying to use Load Figure, that's Content>Runtime>Libraries>Character>DAZ People>Victoria 4.2)  So if it won't drag, and won't load figure, what else can I do?

Have you tried to export the Victoria 4.2 figure as a Poser cr2 file (File>Export - save as type Poser CR2 file), then load the exported figure to see if it works ? Thats my workaround.

This discussion has been closed.