Daz suddenly doesn't see my Titan X anymore - help!

I'm running Daz4.8 and have been rendering on my Titan X while using my GTX580 for my regular display GPU for over a year now. Suddenly it appears as though it lost the ability to see my Titan anymore and it is defaulting back to CPU rendering. I've rebooted multiple times and as far as Windows 7 is saying under the Device Manager the Titan is functioning properly.

I'm seeing this in the log file which seems to be referencing that the GPU I have it set at is no longer available to DAZ.

(WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend warn : There is no GPU available to the iray renderer.)

Any help to get this issue resolved?

Daz Render Settings.jpg
964 x 680 - 55K

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Check if Windows did a driver 'update'.

• junkbox124junkbox124 Posts: 10

It did not, I don't let Windows do updates without me choosing to do them.

Here is a new wrinkle though...Nvidia had me install a newer driver (even though the old one had been working fine), and during the install process it crashed my system completely. Fun! After I hard reset the system I restarted the driver install and it appeared to complete correctly. Once I got all my display settings back to normal I loaded Daz and was happy to see that the Titan was showing up again in the render settings. I ran a render and it appeared to be working fine for a couple minutes, it sent it to the Titan but after 3 minutes or so I see an error message saying that the Titan "cannot be ejected or removed" and then the render drops off the Titan and is back to a cpu render.

I looked at the log file and attached the section that appeared to be relevant. Does this look like my Titan has a hardware failure?

txt
    txt
    Log.txt
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,183

I see you have OptiX Prime checked. Try unchecking it in the Render Settings, Advanced tab. I recently had one particular scene that would start rendering fine in my GPU (not Titan) but would fail over to the CPU after several minutes. Then when I'd cancel the render, DS would crash. This happened over and over as I tried changing various settings. Finally I turned off OptiX Prime and the render finished properly in the GPU. I normally have OptiX Prime checked for all my renders. I don't know what it was about that scene that wouldn't work.

Another thing to check, if you are using a lot of instances in your scene is the optimization for Speed vs. Memory. With lots of instances, selecting Memory can help a render fit in the GPU.

barbult said:

I see you have OptiX Prime checked. Try unchecking it in the Render Settings, Advanced tab. I recently had one particular scene that would start rendering fine in my GPU (not Titan) but would fail over to the CPU after several minutes. Then when I'd cancel the render, DS would crash. This happened over and over as I tried changing various settings. Finally I turned off OptiX Prime and the render finished properly in the GPU. I normally have OptiX Prime checked for all my renders. I don't know what it was about that scene that wouldn't work.

Another thing to check, if you are using a lot of instances in your scene is the optimization for Speed vs. Memory. With lots of instances, selecting Memory can help a render fit in the GPU.

Thanks for the suggestions! After some additional testing, and a chat with Nvidia support it was determined that the card is failing. Fortunately it is under warranty but it will take some time to get it swapped out. Basically if anyone ever sees a Windows message talking about how their GPU cannot be "Ejected or removed from the system", that means the card is either overheating or failing with some other hardware issue.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

"Windows 7 is saying under the Device Manager the Titan is functioning properly"

For future reference, Windows has nearly zero capability to monitor or assess hardware condition by itself. What that "functioning properly" message means is simply that the driver is functioning properly.

SixDs said:

"Windows 7 is saying under the Device Manager the Titan is functioning properly"

For future reference, Windows has nearly zero capability to monitor or assess hardware condition by itself. What that "functioning properly" message means is simply that the driver is functioning properly.

True. I basically just check that to verify that the card is still being recognized by the system since it won't show up anymore if the card has failed completely and has dropped off the device manager list.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

You could always fo grab a GPU benchamrking program and see if it works, does anything strange, or ends with results that are atypical for that GPU.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

Thanks for the suggestions! After some additional testing, and a chat with Nvidia support it was determined that the card is failing. Fortunately it is under warranty but it will take some time to get it swapped out. Basically if anyone ever sees a Windows message talking about how their GPU cannot be "Ejected or removed from the system", that means the card is either overheating or failing with some other hardware issue.

How long do your renders typically take?  minutes?  hours?
    Do you have a way to monitor your GPU temperature while it's rendering over a long period of time?
    Does your graphics card have fans?  Are they spinning (not stuck) ?