Where's the shadow of point light?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Curious, I've used DS3 for ages and I only now notice the point lights don't cast deep shadow maps. Raytraced shadow works, but it's not good for this purpose: I just wamt a candle to cast light and shadows. I place a point light above the candle flame - but now shadow no matter which value I set in shadow bias.
Yet before rendering it says "Creating shadow map for pointlight1"... So where is the shadow?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192
    edited December 1969

Point lights don't support shadow maps, I'm afraid. Why are ray-traced shadows unsuitable - speed?

• edited December 1969

I was using DS3 and ray traced shadows produced hard shadows which was not what I wanted.
    Luckily now the new update of 4.5 also works on my system so I can use the excellent linear point lights with soft shadows.

Another related question: If I have an light object and want to place a point light inside it, is there anyway to prevent the light object itself from casting shadows? If the light is inside the object (for example a candle flame) the light won't show through.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mkeitel said:
    I was using DS3 and ray traced shadows produced hard shadows which was not what I wanted.
    Luckily now the new update of 4.5 also works on my system so I can use the excellent linear point lights with soft shadows.

Another related question: If I have an light object and want to place a point light inside it, is there anyway to prevent the light object itself from casting shadows? If the light is inside the object (for example a candle flame) the light won't show through.

For the item in question, look under the Parameters there should be a "Cast Shadow" with an On/Off setting...

• edited December 1969

Good grief.. that was too simple :) Thanks!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You're welcome.:-)