does daz3d utilise multi core cpus well? (i7 vs ryzen)

SephnrothSephnroth Posts: 18

I'm due a pc upgrade and just weighing the pros and cons of going all out full steam on an i7-7700k kabylake machine or instead building a Ryzen based machine. I know the i7 is the better choice for gaming (for which I do a lot of) but I also do a lot of work in daz and was wondering what it would prefer if the machine was built just for it? The i7 is 4 cores at a high clock speed, The ryzen would be 8 cores at a slightly lower clock speed. I'm thinking about a) general use in the IDE, navigating complex scenes, etc and b) affect on render times.

I use a gtx 1080 FTR and do most of my rendering in iRay :)

Post edited by Sephnroth on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Either would work.

My soon to be new PC will be AMD, (slightly in part to support them), as what Intel is releasing really demonstrates how much they've been holding back. My opinion is also that they have been gouging the customer too, but that is an issue when there is no effective competetition.

• SephnrothSephnroth Posts: 18

I figured either would work - but I am still curious as to how well daz (and iray) use multicore processors because the 8 core / 16 thread ryzen could be significantly faster than the 4 core / 8 thread i7 if they do it well :o 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2017

Well actually make sure with either ryzen or intel you have Windows 10, which is a requirement for ryzen, but not for intel. You could unintentionally get worse performance for your expensive intel CPU(s) by using old versions of Windows.

When AMD gets the driver problems ironed out it the 8 core will outperform the 4 core on all games, not some, given identical discrete video cards and you can count on 16 threads of ryzen outperforming 8 threads of intel on iRay / DAZ already.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Daz Studio itself never taxes my dual quad core Xeons much (2 - 4 threads at a time?) 
    On the other hand plugins like Dynamic Cloth and Render Engines will max out your CPU (Iray will if you let it use the CPU)
    The 16 Ryzen threads will completely destroy the 8 i7 threads.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

For modern CGI apps it is essential to have multiple cores to work with. So the more cores the better the application will run.

That said, in the specific case of DS plus iRay I don't believe that 8 vs 16 CPU threads will make any real difference. Part because iRay will use the GPU better anyway, so the CPU doesn't really matter. Part because I don't feel that the current DS implementation does use multiple cores a lot. Actually DS is more a "posing" app than an "animation" app.

But, if you keep an eye on future DS releases and/or other CGI apps, then I guess Ryzen may be better. Also you can check the scores yourself on passmark and make your choice.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7700K+%40+4.20GHz&id=2874
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+1700X&id=2969