Quick question: Will relocating the zip files in the Daz downloads folder hurt anything?

Hey y'all!

I'm just double checking something here.  I need to clear up some hard drive space, and the Public/Daz3d/InstallManger/Downloads folder has a lot of files.  I want to relocate these onto another drive for backup purposes.

Will Daz's Install Manager notice or care if I relocate the .zip files to another drive, while leaving the .dsx files behind?  (The .dsx files are tiny/1kb ea, hence I have no reason necessarily to move those).  I'm guessing that the .dsx files show what has been downloaded/unzipped so far?

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,896

The zips aren't needed once the item is installed. You can also direct DIM to use a different location for them, if you wish (gear icon at top-right for preferences, then use the Downloads tab).

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064

Hey y'all!

I'm just double checking something here.  I need to clear up some hard drive space, and the Public/Daz3d/InstallManger/Downloads folder has a lot of files.  I want to relocate these onto another drive for backup purposes.

Will Daz's Install Manager notice or care if I relocate the .zip files to another drive, while leaving the .dsx files behind?  (The .dsx files are tiny/1kb ea, hence I have no reason necessarily to move those).  I'm guessing that the .dsx files show what has been downloaded/unzipped so far?

Thanks!

My suggestion is to move everything to another drive and then go into the DIM settings (gear icon, top right), pick the downloads tab, and change the download directory to the new location.

The .dsx files in the download directory (I call them the customer manifest) have the order date, the order number, product ID and name, and other such; there is also a .dsx file in the zip (which I call the product manifest) and contains the file size, product id, file list, and additional items). On installation DIM combines the file manifest and the customer manifest, adds the install path and install date, and writes the resulting .dsx file to C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/ManifestFiles as the installation (my name, again) manifest.

The installation manifest is used by DIM to determine if a product has been updated; if the product hasn't been installed, then the .zip file in the download directory is matched against the version in your product library to see if it has been updated.

So, once the product has been installed, you really don't need to keep anything in the download directory. OTOH, it serves as a backup for the installed content and disk drives (external USB especially) are cheap . . .

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Thanks guys!  I like how the DIM has a list of my installed stuff, and wanted to make sure that it retained that info if I moved the .zips.

I'm fine with files continuing to download into the current folder, as the 'backup' drive is an external one, so I don't need to 'point' Daz to another location.  This will allow me to ' reclaim' almost 80 GB of hard drive space on my laptop SSD for reuse.

Much appreciated on the quick answers!

smiley