Already Zipped Downloads?

nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Well, I bit a huge bullet the last couple days and re-downloaded everything I could through the DIM (DAZ Install Manager). And I'm not entirely happy - what a shock.

I've managed to download most of my content (emphasis on MOST here) but what really gets me is some of the products I downloaded, I ALREADY HAD AS ZIPPED FILES!!!

Just so everyone understands why this bugs me, I've just spent the better part of the last TWO DAYS re-downloading this stuff.

Now, I'll grant that the stuff I had already wouldn't have shaved a whole lot off of that time, couple hours at most. But it bugs me that I had to re-download a ZIP that I already had.

And I won't mention the stuff that IS NOT showing in the DIM, but that I already have AS ZIPPED FILES.

This is the only thing that bugs me about the DIM, it can't recognize anything it hasn't downloaded.

Comments

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

I don't believe it. I DON'T F-ING BELIEVE IT!!! I got the DIM to recognize A ZIP I had already downloaded!!

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,909
    edited December 1969

Well, I bit a huge bullet the last couple days and re-downloaded everything I could through the DIM (DAZ Install Manager). And I'm not entirely happy - what a shock.

I've managed to download most of my content (emphasis on MOST here) but what really gets me is some of the products I downloaded, I ALREADY HAD AS ZIPPED FILES!!!

Just so everyone understands why this bugs me, I've just spent the better part of the last TWO DAYS re-downloading this stuff.

Now, I'll grant that the stuff I had already wouldn't have shaved a whole lot off of that time, couple hours at most. But it bugs me that I had to re-download a ZIP that I already had.

And I won't mention the stuff that IS NOT showing in the DIM, but that I already have AS ZIPPED FILES.

This is the only thing that bugs me about the DIM, it can't recognize anything it hasn't downloaded.

Some of the earlier zips were made before DIM appeared. The formatting of the zips have changed since then, so they have/will be redone. A good example are the zips you have, which doesn't show in DIM.

edited December 1969

The only format change seems to be the actual FILE NAME of the zips!!! Older zips have a file name IMxxxxxxxx_File_Name.zip. But, by adding a simple -01 to the file name and removing the underscores - i.e. IMxxxxxxxx-01_FileName.zip, The DIM recognized AND INSTALLED them, no problem!

This is what I wanted from the beginning! I don't have to re-download the files, just rename them! I can use the DIM to re-install my Gen 3 files, even though it never downloaded them!

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,909
    edited December 1969

There is a reason why -01 was added, to deal with updates. At that time the zip standards weren't finalized, they are now.

edited December 1969

I don't think so. I have a number of files that also have -02 or -03 instead of -01. I think these numbers represent a file within a product set, like V4 base being -01, the V4 Studio Files being -02, and the V4 Powerloader being -03; they're all a part of the V4 Base product, and share the same sku.

As for the zip standards, what was there to finalize? The only unique thing in the zips is the Manifest.dsx file, and all that really is is a list of of files and where they get installed to. Otherwise it's just a content folder with files arranged either in DAZ Studio or Poser standard file structures.