Will custom file management affect how DIM sees my installed content

nellylynnnellylynn Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

For several years I have used a custom file management system for my runtime. I pretty much keep everything in the character or figures file or characters as dazstudio reads it . A set up similar to daz sides people hierarchy and my mat poses and props are nested in the figures folder.

My question is using the DIM do I now need to keep them separated by file type after installing.?

Thank you

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

DIM will not be able to find the files to keep them updated if you move them from their default location inside a content directory (you can have any content directory you want, but you can't, say move the cr2 file that's in runtime/libraries/character/foo to runtime/libraries/character/fum ).

• nellylynnnellylynn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if I understand that response even though I understand file structure lol. I have fibromyalgia and that sometimes gives my brain fog and I have to have information presented to me in a certain way. I am afraid that if I have understood you I will cry =)

I'll give a real world example and you can let me know if I can do it

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\Sacred Luna -is the default install location
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\!A3\clothes\Sacred Luna -is where I would previously have stored it.

In addition I would normally store the .pz2 and .pp2 files that went with the product in that file. is that still possible?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Not if you want DIM to manage the installs. You have moved files physically within a content directory and that makes it impossible for DIM to keep track of them.

You can still use DIM to manage downloads and to install to a temporary content directory where you then moving things into your primary runtime, but you'll still do that piece by hand.

edited December 1969

Adam,

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

First POOP! good thing I hadn't gotten that far into moving things around.=)

I know that inside daz you can create a catalog of sorts through the categories that would accomplish my goal. So my last question would be does the categories scan recognize non daz3d products.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, scanning for new items will detect non-DAZ 3D items as well.

edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for your help. Luckily I had only just started moving stuff when I asked. On the down side I think I need to uninstall and reinstall 50-100 things lol.