Iray VERBOSE modes [CPU Rendering]

JoltrastJoltrast Posts: 199
edited May 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

Could someone explain the VERBOSE module please. When the render progress window opens I often start of at 1.3 and then that either frequently jumps up to 1.4 or down to 1.2.

On the odd occasion it has been low as 1.1 and just one time it jumped to 1.6.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the numbers though as I can render the same scene and get different results.

Iray VERBOSE - Module:catagory (IRAY:RENDER):

Thanks in advance!

Post edited by Joltrast on

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I think it's just the Iray renderer telling you information about the different stages of rendering. Verbose just means it's being verbose...talking a lot. Maybe the 1.6 & 1.2 and stuff are just the rendering stages it's reporting on or something. 

• JoltrastJoltrast Posts: 199
    ebergerly said:

I think it's just the Iray renderer telling you information about the different stages of rendering. Verbose just means it's being verbose...talking a lot. Maybe the 1.6 & 1.2 and stuff are just the rendering stages it's reporting on or something. 

Yes, I understand VERBOSE, I'd just like to understand what's so different between 1.1 and 1.6. Is it speed, RAM, CPU or something else?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888

Where are these numbers appearing?

edited May 2017

Where are these numbers appearing?

In the render dialogue box.

I can screengrab it if that helps.

VERBOSE.png
    405 x 394 - 58K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888

I'm not sure, but I suspect they are categories of message - probably useful for a tool that processes the output to generate a report on the render (which is probably the sort of thing Verbose mode is primarily for).

edited May 2017

I'm not sure, but I suspect they are categories of message - probably useful for a tool that processes the output to generate a report on the render (which is probably the sort of thing Verbose mode is primarily for).

Interesting. I have noticed that if I stop a render (but keep the window open) and start a new render the numbers tend to jump up rather than down. No idea if it affects render time or RAM usage or not.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

The numbers such as 1.1 or 1.6 are, I believe, compute levels. They are indicating the minimum CUDA Compute level required for that function.

Most of that stuff you just ignore. It's the stuff flagged as Error you need to be concerned about (and to a lesser extent anything that says Warning that is causing issues in your renders).

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited May 2017
    Joltrast said:

Could someone explain the VERBOSE module please. When the render progress window opens I often start of at 1.3 and then that either frequently jumps up to 1.4 or down to 1.2.

On the odd occasion it has been low as 1.1 and just one time it jumped to 1.6.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the numbers though as I can render the same scene and get different results.

Iray VERBOSE - Module:catagory (IRAY:RENDER):

Thanks in advance!

Should that not be "category"?

Post edited by SimonJM on