Angkor Temple Weathering

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322
edited May 2017 in The Commons

I purchased Angkor Temple in the Vanishing Point sale and it imports OK  into DAZ Studio with reasonable looking "clean" models. But I have been unable to acheive the weatheered look shown in some of the promos. (See attached promo image). All the edges remain too sharp.

Are there any suggestions?

angkortemple3_1.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 184K
Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322

perhaps if you use 3DL to render,  you can increase the displacement amounts.  It looks like a fairly old and small texture. 

There might be benefit to try a procedural texture like https://www.daz3d.com/shades-of-life-nature or something similar.

If you imported the OBJ into Bryce and perhaps added a procedural texture there it could ge that weathered look. 

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2017

I created that promo image however its rendered in Vue not DS.  It represents the Vue product which includes custom Vue materials to achieve that level of detail.  Sorry the OBJ you purchased did not have that level of detail.  But we aim to make artists happy so I upgraded the product with much better UV and HD textures.  The update has been developed will be submitted ASAP to teh store for the Poser, OBJ and 3DS versions.  

The updated products should make your renders look at least as good as these test shots below.  The two with black backgrounds are iobj imports using DS 4.7 with Iray, then 3Delight, Then Poser SuperFly and Firefly with displacement and without applied: There are 2 sets of textures, rock and overgrown.  

AnkorTempleHD_OBJ_DS_IRay.jpg
    1217 x 1217 - 313K
    AnkorTempleHD_OBJ_DS_3DDelight.jpg
    1217 x 1217 - 264K
    AnkorTempleHD_superfly_disp_render2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 152K
    AnkorTempleHD_firefly_render1.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 145K
    Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322
    edited May 2017

I created that render. There are several formats for different versuons.  What renderer are you using.  I do recall that I enabled displacement at +1 to get the vines and plants stand out.

I am using DS 4.9 and I have tried both 3DL and Iray.  One thing is that it doesn't seem to be reading the mtl file so I've tried loading the maps manually. Do you know which obj file and which texture maps you used to create that weathered look?.  Any of the ones I tried still resulted in pretty sharp edges. I did try increasing displacement to 1 but it didn't really seem to help much.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited May 2017

I created that render. There are several formats for different versuons.  What renderer are you using.  I do recall that I enabled displacement at +1 to get the vines and plants stand out.

I am using DS 4.9 and I have tried both 3DL and Iray.  One thing is that it doesn't seem to be reading the mtl file so I've tried loading the maps manually. Do you know which obj file and which texture maps you used to create that weathered look?.  Any of the ones I tried still resulted in pretty sharp edges. I did try increasing displacement to 1 but it didn't really seem to help much.

The update makes it easier.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322

The update makes it easier.

Thanks. I look forward to getting it.

edited May 2017

Thanks for testing the update Charlie. 

Regarding the promo renders.  In one you see a palace made by combining mulutiple instances of the temple prop. This is achieved by aligning and stacking multiple temples into the full Ankor Wat type pattern as they intersect nicely since they are modeled symetrical on the x-axis. These look good with lots of lush material around.  The "museum" promo render was done by dropping the character and temple into a HDRI cityscape dome to provide ground and atmosphere. To make the ground flower garden & paths I used a alfa filter in the shape of the garden and inserted instanced of Plant Factory plants and rendered in Vue HDRI, then export image as jpg.

Beyond the better texture maps the other neat feature of the updated HD mesh, the models can now be easily morphed and even 3d printed. This adds value as the props can be better rendered in game engines and animations Other similar VP products will get the same treatment.