Concept Art - Opinions Welcome

SwanSwan Posts: 134
edited May 2017 in Art Studio

Been toying around a lot with Photoshop. This iRay render was from Gen 3 with simple base lighting put there for no other purpose than to match that I put in using Photoshop. Postwork includes a slight oil-paint effect. The mural is from a photograph taken in Pompeii. Goal was to try and match role-playing cards, if not improve upon them, and leave the uncanny valley behind.. Did I make it?

beckon_death.png
856 x 1225 - 2M
Post edited by Swan on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

How very clever! I love the antique look of the card part which has the text, and it looks like a great card.

• SwanSwan Posts: 134
    Novica said:

How very clever! I love the antique look of the card part which has the text, and it looks like a great card.

Glad you like it! :) Always great to hear.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I don't know much about playing cards but I like what you've done.

I don't know much about playing cards but I like what you've done.

The liking part is all that matters! :)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317

It has a nice "Magic the Gathering"  feel to it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering

It has a nice "Magic the Gathering"  feel to it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering

That was one of my inspirations. :)

Dug way back for creating this one (M4).

my_domain.png
    856 x 1225 - 1M
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I like them.  They look great.  I was never into that type of game so I don't have a lot of experience with role-playing cards, though.  I like the first one better but I think they are both good.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

1. The 'quote' is to long and the font used for the quote mismatches the style of the card.

2. Her pose and expression don't match what is the driving motive of her role in the game as encapsulated in that quote.

3. At the size of a typical playing card and even when I click the image for the full size image her eyes, due to the very heavy eyelashes, look to be but hardly more than a mascara smudge.

However, in total it's a very nice to look at playing card.

1. The 'quote' is to long and the font used for the quote mismatches the style of the card.

2. Her pose and expression don't match what is the driving motive of her role in the game as encapsulated in that quote.

3. At the size of a typical playing card and even when I click the image for the full size image her eyes, due to the very heavy eyelashes, look to be but hardly more than a mascara smudge.

However, in total it's a very nice to look at playing card.

Thanks for the comments! The dichotomy between what she means to do and her pose along with her expression is quite intentional...she's welcoming her target. Some get that, some don't so I'll have to work harder at relaying. Good catch on the eye-lighting, too. As for the font, yeah, I've been looking for something that better fits but is still easy to read.

I like them.  They look great.  I was never into that type of game so I don't have a lot of experience with role-playing cards, though.  I like the first one better but I think they are both good.

The second is a bit too one-tone, I think.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Quite compelling results! Clean and intriguing enough to keep me looking at everything on each 'card' for hints and details about the story/context and characters - far more than my typical gallery glance-by!

bravo! your attention to detail shows,

--ms