Do you like the grain effect in films?

Do you like the grain effect in films? If not, why?

Comments

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited May 2017

Depends on what I'm viewing, some scenes look terrible with certain effects, while other are mind blowing.  Grain effect looks fab in classic style film.  Awhile back I did a vampire render, was to impatient to let fully render, image was slighty blurry with grainy effect, to me image looked perfect.  So, it's just all personal preferance.    

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

No....mostly that shows up in dark scenes. What I do like is the focus tracking and how that sometimes follows the eye and how things blur when the move quickly.

I like the film blur and the lack of crisp color.

Unfortunately the Matrix seems to have made grey and blue the go-to tone for all movies.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

It's so funny hearing it refered to as a "grain effect".  That effect in traditional film is not an effect, it's simply physics and chemistry interacting.
    If you need to shoot in a darker area you need film that can gather light more quickly, the issue is that the quicker it can gather light the noisier it gets.

These same rules still apply with digital cameras and how the image sensor chip collects light. (the ISO setting on your digicam is meant to be equivilent to ISO speeds on film)