Can't figure out how to create a prop correctly

Hey all,

I'm making a pushpin prop, with seven primitives joined together. They're all parented together and I selected them all, but when I save it under support assest - figure/prop asset it only saves a single primitive. I know I'm doing it wrong but with all the research I've done trying to figure it out I can't. If possible I'd like to save the needle and body as seperate bones so they can be individually colored but at this point I just want the stupid thing to save correctly so I can add multiple of them into a scene. I'm obviously new but am trying to learn as quickly as possible, and any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

If you are trying to do it in Daz Studio, I don't think that you can save multiple primatives together as one object.
    A work around could be to save it as a scene.  (just make sure that there are no lights, cameras or other items in the scene)  Then when you load it, tell it to merge into the current scene.

Studio is not a 3D modeling program.  For that you need something like Hexagon or Carrara.  In those you can build it and set multiple material zones, then export as an obj file for importing into Studio.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

The correct way to do this is to save each individual item as a Figure/Prop asset. That creates a data folder for each one. Then save them all together as a Scene Subset, which is the correct way to save multiple items in a single file. The saved thumbnail will have a 'Set' overlay to show there's more than one item.

If you save them as a scene and there are no data folders for them, DS will write the data folders in the auto_adapted folder, plus the scene file will save lights, cameras and render settings.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

maclean way is  right  and  I think it is official manner, to save each props as one scene subset. 

Then If you do not need to move each prop individually , but just hope to keep individual suface group, you can export props as obj, then re-import it as obj, with default option too.

it make new obj, which have individual surface group.  then you can save it as new one prop. ds simply export all mesh currently visible, and when you import the obj, it gathered as one. and If imported obj  set strange name for each surface group, you can re-name, and re-assgin surface group for each part as you like, in DS geometry editor.

Gathering props as one obj, then save it as one prop may help , when you try to  rig it in future (after learninig more, DS joint editor or figure set-up tool etc,, then you can move each part as one rigged prop if you hope so)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862

I would export as OBJ, reimport, tidy up the surface names with the Geometry Editor tool, and save as a single prop asset.

• ShaunBuildsShaunBuilds Posts: 23
    Thank you all, I appreciate it very much! I'll try it out when I get home today.
  • Hi there,

I have a similar question to this one, so I won't start a new thread for it. I have a Scene Subset prop that I'm using to group the parts together that make up a Blastdoor and doorway. For the small one all is fine as it only has one moving part, the door itself, so this is fine as is and can be moved with a slider. The issue I have is with the larger blast doors which have multiple moving parts all on individual sliders. So for a good end user experience I want to be able to tie all these sliders to one overall slider that can then control all the door parts and facilitate an opening and closing of those blast doors. So my question is this. What is the best method to group a number of assets as a combined prop, that will also enable you to control and move multiple elements within that group with one slider?

Thanks in advance for any assistance guys.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited June 2021

harold_withers said:

Hi there,

I have a similar question to this one, so I won't start a new thread for it. I have a Scene Subset prop that I'm using to group the parts together that make up a Blastdoor and doorway. For the small one all is fine as it only has one moving part, the door itself, so this is fine as is and can be moved with a slider. The issue I have is with the larger blast doors which have multiple moving parts all on individual sliders. So for a good end user experience I want to be able to tie all these sliders to one overall slider that can then control all the door parts and facilitate an opening and closing of those blast doors. So my question is this. What is the best method to group a number of assets as a combined prop, that will also enable you to control and move multiple elements within that group with one slider?

You can use ERC sliders,. 

Make sure that your objects are grouped in some kind of parent child hierarchy. 

1) open window > panes > property hierarchy.

2) on the main object, right-click and select ERC Freeze 

3) select the object that you would like to use as the controlling/Main object, where the slider will appear and click create new 

4) a new window will open. Fill in the parameters, like name, label etc and click create. Let's say we call it "Main Controller."

5) this will take you back to the previous window. Click Cancel. 

6) this takes you back to the property hierarchy main window, and you will see that the new property "Main Controller" has been created as a child under your main object. it is amongst all the other items like Ytranslate, XScale etc. 

7) If you expand YTranslate, you will see that it contains 4 items: Link, Aliases, sub-components and Controllers. Expand Controllers and you will see 1st stage 2nd stage. What you need to do is drag your "Main Controller" item that you created earlier into 1st stage. And do it for every property that you want to control. So for example, drag it into Blast door's Ytranslate > controllers > 1st stage as well as doorway's Ytranslate > controllers > 1st stage. 

"Main Controller" will appear under the properties of your main object where all the x,y,z sliders are. When you move it though, you will see that it controls all the other objects as well. 

Hope that helps. 

Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761

harold_withers said:

Hi there,

If you need more explanation about this strange phenomenon called "ERC", I think this downloadable PDF tutorial does a pretty good job of explaining it: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/81207/tutorial-daz-studio-erc-feature