Ohm's Law Illustrated

TorbyTorby Posts: 250
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Any electric freaks among us will recognize Ohm's Law.

ohmslaw.jpg
650 x 487 - 277K

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2013

Intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. NOT! :-s

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited February 2013

Although if I think WAY out of the box, I get "E"agle over "R"abbit and "I"ndian. 8-o

Or is it "B"ird over "H"are and "R"cher?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Or is it V = Vulture?

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

I ndian = V ulture / R abbit. I first thought it was an eagle :)

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited February 2013

Intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. NOT! :-s

Oh goodness! My Dad would use that phrase in class.

Ohm figured out that I = E/R.

Algebra tells you then that E = I * R and R = E /I

So the graphic says:

The Indian (Trot undressed up) sees the Eagle over the Rabbit. I = E/R
    The Rabbit (Actually a hare, couldn't find a rabbit) sees the Eagle over the Indian. R = E/I
    The Eagle sees the Indian beside the Rabbit. E = I * R

His graphic was pencil and watercolor by one of the art teachers at the college. Mine is daz studio.

It's part of a page on how to use LED's at my other web site, http://www.barefootelectronics.com/led001.aspx

Post edited by Torby on
  • ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited February 2013

Well, see now. I learned Ohm's law in other terms. More like this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

It is not the first time I see these little differences between this side and the other side of the pond :)

Post edited by Erdehel on
    edited December 1969

Amazing, isn't it, how divided we are by our common language? Quite surprising we can still talk to each other ;)

I grew up understanding British as well as American. While all my friends were watching "Captain Ernie's Cartoon Showboat" on TV, I was watching, "The Double Decker Bus" on the Telly. Yup, right in the middle of Illinois, USA. Several kids met in an old double decker bus in a junkyard in London. There was an adventure segment, a cartoon segment, some interaction between the kids, and always the junk man showed them something interesting and how it worked. It was on in mid afternoon, right when I'd go inside for a while to rest during the hottest part of the day.

edited February 2013

This is the diagram I learned Ohm's Law from.
    You put your thumb over the quantity you need to find and what's left is how you get it.

And as for kids shows, we had "Mr. Wizard"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Mr._Wizard

PS: "E" stands for Electromotive force*.

It's so simple in DC but AC twists your brain. I spent 12 years in college, have a degree in electrical engineering and still get dizzy trying to make sense of the markings on a computer's UPS system. (VA's and Power and Watts oh my! VA's and Power and Watts oh my! VA's and Power and Watts oh my! Arggggghhhh) That's why I made a career of computer software design instead. 8-s

* I sometimes try to kid people and tell them that dead batteries ran out of electrons. Just to see who questions it. It's not that a battery runs out of electrons. A dead battery has just as many electrons as a live battery. It's just that they have no reason to flow. No Electromotive force.

OhmsLaw.jpg
    223 x 220 - 6K
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

Resistance is futile!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

edited December 1969

Oh, yes! Then there are "single time constant circuits" and "multiple time constant circuits."

Indeed, resistance IS futile.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Hmm? Oh, I'm just here for the picture. What's the little guy wearing in that picture?

edited December 1969

The loincloth from Cheyenne Boy for Kids 4. Without any pants, I thought he looked better with the moccasins too, but since the environment is just a jpg for the backdrop, I couldn't put him "in" it, so it only looks right if you can't see his feet anyhow.

(By "pants" I mean the US definition, not the UK, but both apply in this case.)