IMPORTANT - Install Manager Notice - BEST THING EVER (updated)

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited March 2013

It started uninstalling everything it had to update and jammed out the whole thing....

:long: is this.... favorable...? Pardon me for only speaking Vulcan at taking things too literally. I had to re-read this several times and it didn't make sense until I applied a "Rad Dewd" accent to it... LOL

:sick:Sorry, that's Dartanian for: "It proceeded to uninstall the old files and replaced them with the new, in the same locations to avoid errors".

Also, to write the article, mentioned here, on the previous page, I uninstalled all of the content that I wanted to switch to runtime folders. The DIM is equally proficient (and fast) with uninstalling as it is downloading and installing. Writing the article side by side as I performed the operations and created the folders was fun. I hope anyone interested in this stuff enjoys the read.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • NetjeraNetjera Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure where to mention this, so I'll ask it here:

If we are 100% SURE that the only products not included in the Daz Install Manager download listing are those exclusive to Bryce and Carrara, Plugins from other parties, and software, (we ARE 100% certain, right?) then shouldn't there be a way to filter those out on the website?

I'm finding that in order to get an organized backup copy of ALL of my purchased content, I'm having to pick through my order history to figure out which files are missed. This is NOT saving me any time. >.<</p>

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Netjera said:
    I'm not sure where to mention this, so I'll ask it here:

If we are 100% SURE that the only products not included in the Daz Install Manager download listing are those exclusive to Bryce and Carrara, Plugins from other parties, and software, (we ARE 100% certain, right?) then shouldn't there be a way to filter those out on the website?

I'm finding that in order to get an organized backup copy of ALL of my purchased content, I'm having to pick through my order history to figure out which files are missed. This is NOT saving me any time. >.<</div>

There are still DS/Poser content items which aren't in DIM, about 10% of my order history, 90% of the missing ones being older items (SKU's less than 5000). I'm seeing a few dozen items added every few days.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 430
    edited December 1969

I'm still using the DIM Beta test version, as I have been unable to update as of yet. Everything was going fine until I tried using it for a certain two very large files. One is the Gatehouse, and the other is Technopolis. The DIM claims that they are installed correctly, but I cannot load anything from either of those product packs into the scene. I get the Missing Files message. The app I am using is DAZ Studio 4.5.0.114.
    Extra info:
    Technopolis file size = 325.9 MB.
    The Gatehouse file size = 539.6 MB.
    The above file sizes are the DIM sizes.
    I have tried closing DAZ Studio and Opening it several times to see if I could get it to work. It is still not working. I think I will be uninstalling these two files and downloading them the old way. I noted that the older file sizes are smaller for each of them, and if they install correctly into DAZ Studio that way and work correctly, I shall not be using the DIM for large files in the foreseeable future, at least until I can afford the upgraded version of the DIM. Hopefully that will be soon.
    The reason I am posting this here is to inform others here about this problem I am having, and to see if others are having this issue also. Let me know either way, and I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide in this matter. Although it has been more than two weeks since I installed these two products, I shall wait to uninstall until someone can tell me whether that would be wise or not.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Mage 13X13 :)

I think I will be uninstalling these two files and downloading them the old way.

The (content) files in the Zip (for DIM) should be the same as the (content) of the files contained in the old installers,.

If there's any issue with any product you've purchased,. then it's better for everyone if you report that as an issue,./ even if you're the only one getting that issue.

Simply uninstalling the "problem", and reverting back to what worked previously, ...doesn't help you in the longer term once uninstallers are phased out completely,. and it allows a problem to go unresolved,..

Please report this issue through the helpdesk

Unfortunately I don't have either of those products you mentioned,. but I have installed several products which are over 500mb,. and I've installed over 2000 products using DIM.

Dim has no problem with big files or small files,. the file size doesn't matter,. what does matter is the way that the products have been packaged for the new ZIP / DIM method of downloading and installing.

if something is missing or wrong, then Daz3D need to know about it,.,.. and fix it.

• same1_74afcbf02fsame1_74afcbf02f Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Concidering re-installing DAZ files. Will saved scenes still be able to find my characters & stuff in different installed folders?

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Mage 13X13 :)

The (content) files in the Zip (for DIM) should be the same as the (content) of the files contained in the old installers,.

If there's any issue with any product you've purchased,. then it's better for everyone if you report that as an issue,./ even if you're the only one getting that issue.

I have a request at the Help Desk which unfortunately has gone unanswered for more than two weeks now. Today, I added a comment to the request for the purpose of kick starting it. All the Info that I could think of that would be relevant has been provided. I have no idea what the problem might be.
    As the DIM has been quite a useful tool for me, making downloads and installations much easier, I had to wonder about whether it was the problem or not. These are the only two files I have had any problems with. A couple of my friends from the art community I am a member of have the products, and report no problems.
    I wonder if during the download, these products could have been corrupted. As they are zips, from what you have indicated, I wonder how that might be corrupted though.
    The only other thing I can think of is that something happened during the compression or conversion process. I have modeled a few products myself that for me import into DAZ Studio positioned as I modeled them to do. When a friend tried importing the same product into Poser for the same figure, the position data did not translate to that app. I have no idea why that would occur, since the products import into all of my apps in the correct positions. My point is that after creating the zip file and uploading the product, something was lost. I'm no expert on how such things work, but if it can happen to what I produce, I would imagine it can also happen to what others produce.
    At any rate, I have yet to hear back from my request at the Help Desk.
    edited December 1969

Algonquin said:
    Concidering re-installing DAZ files. Will saved scenes still be able to find my characters & stuff in different installed folders?
    I'm not sure about Daz Studio content... stuff installed in the previous "My Library" going to the new "My Daz3d Library". I'm not sure if those newer installers changed anything - as I just don't have experience with that system.

For Poser Runtime stuff, I'm fairly certain that as long as you use the same Folder Names where you install your runtimes to, and have the runtimes identified by Carrara, you will not have issues. Otherwise, you end up having to locate many of the texture file locations upon loading.

The big thing about runtimes:
    Back them up and don't delete them until after a successful test!

edited December 1969

If you would like a quick run through the process of using the DIM to create runtime folders, check out the Carrara Walkthrough article about the subject ;-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Doesn't matter if they're zips or not. File corruption can still happen. My first thought after reading your post is that perhaps you did get a corrupted download. The easiest way to check if the file was corrupted during download, or verify that it may be a bad conversion, would be to delete the downloaded file and try and re-download it. If it works, then great, you can probably feel confident that it was a fluke. If the file behaves the same way, then it's a good bet that it's a bad file to begin with, and is stored on the server.

edited December 1969

Doesn't matter if they're zips or not. File corruption can still happen. My first thought after reading your post is that perhaps you did get a corrupted download. The easiest way to check if the file was corrupted during download, or verify that it may be a bad conversion, would be to delete the downloaded file and try and re-download it. If it works, then great, you can probably feel confident that it was a fluke. If the file behaves the same way, then it's a good bet that it's a bad file to begin with, and is stored on the server.

So if it is on the server itself, what can be done to fix that? I would think that there are backups for all files at DAZ 3D just for such problems. As I have said, my community friends are having no problems with these products. Of course, one of them has had his copies for several months (since before the release of the DIM Beta version).
    As I have recently cleared my cookies and cache, I shall try your suggestion and see if that fixes the problem. If so, I'm good to go. Otherwise, I'll still be waiting for the Help Desk to respond.
    edited December 1969

Thanks, for your reply.
    I only use DAZ. I've never used "my library" or "my DAZ3d library", just runtimes. If I read you right, as long as the characters/textures/items are in the same named folders in the new "my DAZ3d library" they can still be found by the old scene file?

edited December 1969

No...
    Use new runtimes, but if you had your runtimes in folders with specific names, use those same names for your new ones - even if their actual location (drive, folder, whatever) is different.

Example:

I install ALL of my V4 related products to a V4 folder on my hard drive.
    To get my scenes that use anything from that runtime to open again, I would make sure to install all of my content for V4 into a new "V4" folder.

edited December 1969

ah... I think I see.
    I'll test it out on a new drive to be sure before I commit it.
    Thank you.

Can the "my DAZ3d library" reside on that same new drive?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Algonquin :)

The issue is less about which drive you choose to hold your content,. since the CMS will supply the metadata about products to each program that asks for it,.
    It's more important that you tell DS or Carrara, or Poser, where your content is located.

Once your programs know where your content is located,.. then they can load content from wherever that is.

For example :
    If you create a scene with V4 loaded from a Runtime, folder,...
    then you uninstall that figure,. and install it to a different folder,..

your software will look at the scene (contents) and try to load them, and as long as your software knows that your figure has moved, and where it's located,. then it'll be able to find and load the figure.

:)

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I'm still using the DIM Beta test version, as I have been unable to update as of yet. Everything was going fine until I tried using it for a certain two very large files. One is the Gatehouse, and the other is Technopolis. The DIM claims that they are installed correctly, but I cannot load anything from either of those product packs into the scene. I get the Missing Files message. The app I am using is DAZ Studio 4.5.0.114.
    Extra info:
    I have tried closing DAZ Studio and Opening it several times to see if I could get it to work. It is still not working. I think I will be uninstalling these two files and downloading them the old way. I noted that the older file sizes are smaller for each of them, and if they install correctly into DAZ Studio that way and work correctly, I shall not be using the DIM for large files in the foreseeable future, at least until I can afford the upgraded version of the DIM. Hopefully that will be soon.
    The reason I am posting this here is to inform others here about this problem I am having, and to see if others are having this issue also. Let me know either way, and I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide in this matter. Although it has been more than two weeks since I installed these two products, I shall wait to uninstall until someone can tell me whether that would be wise or not.

I downloaded Technopolis using DIM and it downloaded and installed just file. All of the .dufs loaded, using D 4.5.1.56. Maybe you just need to update your Studio.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I am still torn on DIM -- but I cannot deny that it is a step in the right direction. I found about 5 or so models that did not install auto-magically. Minor annoyance, but I can live with that.

What I need to examine today is the new Bridge Of Cheirocrates. Being new, I would expect DIM would have no issues at all...yet...it did not install for me. Hopefully I figure it out and get it resolved because I really love this set.

edited April 2013

AtticAnne said:
    Extra info:
    The reason I am posting this here is to inform others here about this problem I am having, and to see if others are having this issue also. Let me know either way, and I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide in this matter. Although it has been more than two weeks since I installed these two products, I shall wait to uninstall until someone can tell me whether that would be wise or not..

I downloaded Technopolis using DIM and it downloaded and installed just file. All of the .dufs loaded, using D 4.5.1.56. Maybe you just need to update your Studio.

Thank you Attic Anne. I will look into doing that ASAP. My version has been glitchy of late! As I already liked the way 4.5 is working, and all the great tools it puts at my disposal, I definitely want to have the latest update. My version is not shutting down properly now, even after I reset my Preferences to Default.

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have a question to ask concerning this: What is the procedure for updating DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro to its latest version? This is something I have not yet done with any version I have had. I did update my copy of Bryce 7.1 Pro, but that is just a matter of downloading the updated files and using them to overwrite the older versions. Is this the same procedure with DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro? I cannot find any info about this.

Post edited by Mage 13X13 on
    edited December 1969

Garstor & Mage 13X13,
    If you should have issues with some of the products, try utilizing the new product library in your account. Locate the product and try using the DIM install link provided there. I haven't tried this method yet.

I have used "runtimes" so long now, I'm not used to having the ability to search for anything - so I've become very aware of where all of my content resides by being very conscious of how I install it - and checking the "File List" link in the read me's. That link is broken on anything that gets installed with the DIM - so I will no longer be using the DIM until they fix that. That being broken eliminates my one defense against not being able to find a texture when software asks for its location, and I cannot find it on my own. Oh did I throw a fit when I found that link to be broken! :ahhh:

Everybody has their breaking point - that was one of mine, right there!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Garstor & Mage 13X13,
    If you should have issues with some of the products, try utilizing the new product library in your account. Locate the product and try using the DIM install link provided there. I haven't tried this method yet.

I am going to assume that the mistake was mine...somehow, it installed the D|S version of Bridge Of Cheirocrates...so obviously, Carrara didn't see it. I uninstalled this and dropped the Poser version in. All is well.

One very cool thing...DIM pointed out some updated models and let me install the improved versions. Nice!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    One very cool thing...DIM pointed out some updated models and let me install the improved versions. Nice!
    Yes.
    I like that too!

Side note: Did you watch the promo for Flipmode's "FM Solar System"?
    What a great product!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Extra info:
    The reason I am posting this here is to inform others here about this problem I am having, and to see if others are having this issue also. Let me know either way, and I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide in this matter. Although it has been more than two weeks since I installed these two products, I shall wait to uninstall until someone can tell me whether that would be wise or not..

Thank you Attic Anne. I will look into doing that ASAP. My version has been glitchy of late! As I already liked the way 4.5 is working, and all the great tools it puts at my disposal, I definitely want to have the latest update. My version is not shutting down properly now, even after I reset my Preferences to Default.

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have a question to ask concerning this: What is the procedure for updating DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro to its latest version? This is something I have not yet done with any version I have had. I did update my copy of Bryce 7.1 Pro, but that is just a matter of downloading the updated files and using them to overwrite the older versions. Is this the same procedure with DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro? I cannot find any info about this.

I'm sorry you had to wait so long for a reply. This thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14562/ should have all the info you need to update your Studio to the latest release. It's also a good place to ask questions about Studio 4.5.

edited December 1969

Wow... thank you Anne!

• rk66rk66 Posts: 419
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    Update for DIM online, supports now also Carrara.

Link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22074/

DAZ_BHowell writes:
    "DAZ Install Manager has been updated to now support additional types of files such as software applications, plugins, Carrara and Bryce content, Photoshop brushes and tutorials. As these file types are converted they will start to appear in DAZ Install Manager."

rk.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited October 2013

My style is systematically understanding the fundamentals about a new tool before I jump in and create. Until I understand how Daz3d works with Zbrush, I cannot start my creative process. Weeks of intense learning later between these 2 self-referencing jargon-dense programs, I figured out how Zbrush works. Yet Daz remains a maze.

I thought I have made it 300% simpler by sticking to Genesis-everything and ignore everything V4. I climbed the walls of multiple UV maps, Transfer utility, I forced myself to learn the tedious bones and weight-map basics, I set up custom Daz hotkeys, I worked out the kinks of GoZ-Daz workflow. And yet, certain Daz basics remain a mystery.

How does one confidently start building a project with people, clothing, props in Daz, when a simple purchase from the official store refuse to show up where the contents are???????

After updating paths and resetting database, my most recent purchase Michael 5 still does not appear under Content Library>People>Genesis, still refuse to appear under Smart Content>Figure.

After Googling and searching all over the place and youtube video instructions, in spite of the mountains of words on this forum, I remain confused about the MOST FUNDAMENTAL way Daz install and sort files.

After much digging around, I finally found Michael and his files sitting by himself inside Products>M. Why heavens why?

Yes I know DIM install stuff into My Daz 3D Library. I am informed that everything not inside Runtime will be problems later. Perhaps I need to manually assign new purchased items into categories. If so, then why my other purchases actually appeared in Content Library??

Why does Smart Content picked up on certain new purchases, but not others? Shouldn't DIM force Smart Content to pick up Michael 5???

This inconsistency is very disorienting. I have been using Daz Studio Format from day one. Am I doing something wrong? Should I use Content Library Pane> Categories instead? I don't have any Poser stuff and don't plan to. Do I still need Poser format inside my Content Library to confuse me?

If I create new categories under Daz Studio Format, and save my custom props/ hair/ clothing/ shapes into these folders, will Runtime register them? Or will I face missing file issue experienced by veterans users when Daz 5.0 comes along?

GGGaaaaah, please help with this mega disorientation!

Post edited by Mythmaker on
    edited December 1969

It appears by what you're saying, that you're using Daz Studio.
    Anyways, when DIM installs M5 to it's default location, it ends up under My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis > Characters

The only thing that Genesis products use the runtime folder for is textures. Everything else resides under People > Genesis >

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited October 2013

Dartanbeck thanks for answering.

I understand that DIM installs M5's into My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis > Characters

What I don't understand is why M5 wasn't categorized and tagged so that it also appears in the Content Library where TYPICAL OFFICIAL Genesis Gabi or Tori were installed into, which are:

- My Library > People > Genesis > Characters
    - Smart Content > Figures > People > Male
    - Categories > Figures > People > Male

Why is Michael 5, a relatively new official STAR product, being dumped by the new STAR installer DIM, into an anonymous Product > sort by Alphabet corner?

Why do I have to dig so hard and click so many freaking times into the content library maze to find Daz's superstar M5?

Most disorienting of all:

If Gabi and Tori didn't need to be manually tagged by users when I bought V5 pack IN 2012, why does M5 need to be tagged NOW in 2013?

I hate inconsistency in the simplest areas. It is obviously not a bug. But an entry-level design issue.

Also unanswered, is there any reason why post-2012 era non-Poser users need two Runtimes?

Daz's new installation robot is supposed to solve the database madness, yet it is tempremental and unreliable. AND TIME-WASTING. I bought products I can make myself to save on time, yet more time is wasted trying to find answers to solve more Daz Studio mysteries with every new installations.

Yes very soon after paying for my 4.5 Pro and bunch of starter products I learned that Daz Studio speak a hyper-contextual form of English. Figures could mean people could mean prop but not always it depends on 12 other variables etc etc. I also know about the documentation issue - all of which Daz seems to be aware of. What I don't get is how does one solve previous scattered brain problems by creating more of the same.

I have spent more money and time now on Daz than iClone, yet I contemplated moving on from Daz many times during the most frustrating moments.

I'm sure DIM + Content Library are stuff of genius. But first they need to communicate clearly to their audience.

Still, thank goodness for the supportive power users.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

I'm puzzled why Michael 5 isn't showing up for you in Smart Content > Figures > People > Male, as it shows up for me there. If the CMS wasn't running when DIM installed it, then it wouldn't show up under Products either.

edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:

Yes very soon after paying for my 4.5 Pro and bunch of starter products I learned that Daz Studio speak a hyper-contextual form of English. Figures could mean people could mean prop but not always it depends on 12 other variables etc etc.

Sorry for your frustrations, I really am.
    The nomenclature of "Figure" meaning any rigged model doesn't come from DAZ 3D, but from the developers of Poser. As DAZ 3D got their start by making things for Poser, it was a solution that they had to adhere to. The newer DAZ Studio library system was supposed to help change this, I'd bet. But with artists making things for Poser and for DS, many things get commingled between to two catalogs - again, just a guess.

I was fortunate enough to have started with Poser. Well, actually from making community content for Neverwinter Nights, which is another story altogether, except that it was another situation where many artists wanted to follow a strict code of naming conventions and cooperation, while others didn't care and just threw things where they wanted. This was, and perhaps still is the case with folks making things for Poser and DS. While there are specific places to put things, someone always feels the need (or has a strong case of ignorance, I think) to put their things in a special place. However, I did not see this in M5, and I did use the DIM to install him. Then again, Smart Content doesn't seem "Smart" to me, but just an ignored tab - probably because I'm so used to dealing with the older Poser structure, and being used to having to 'dig' for my new content subsequent of such.

I even had a habit when I would get stuck:
    If I couldn't find what I was looking for, back in the days (not too long ago) of the installers, I would install again to my Desktop - so I could look through each folder and find my content. DAZ 3D was always kind enough to put a link in their ReadMe's files called "File List", which gives a good rundown of where each file gets installed. Now it's just a matter of finding the darned ReadMe!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

DIM has the easiest method of finding files - open the "installed" tab, find the file in the alphabetical list, click on the arrow (dangerously next to "uninstall !), select "show installed files" - BINGO!

Cheers :)