Mr. Duckie you're still the one... [commercial]

JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
edited May 2017 in The Commons

I went back and redid a character for the first time.  Updating my old Genesis Duckie for Genesis 3.  I'm calling him a "Classic Toon Duckie" now, in case I shoud want to make a more realistic or modernly stylized Duck in the future.

I was nervous about the project at first, afraid that I'd finish and not really see any notable improvements.  But when I look at the forms and proportions of the two characters side by side, I do feel like I've grown as an artist over the years.

Popup6b.jpg
1154 x 1500 - 2M
Mainpromo.jpg
1154 x 1500 - 1M
Popup4.jpg
1153 x 1500 - 1M
Popup1.jpg
1154 x 1500 - 992K
Popup2.jpg
1154 x 1500 - 1M
Popup3.jpg
1153 x 1500 - 1M
Popup5.jpg
1154 x 1500 - 1M
Post edited by JoeQuick on

Comments

• I have the original.  I LOVE this new one!!  Fantastic.  :)  Lots of render ideas already popping into my head.  :)

• AtiAti Posts: 9,081

I guess I'll have to upgrade myself... laugh

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Adorable ;)

Laurie

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Drop that hot potato and I will bring the sour cream and bacon bits..... and my wallet. :)

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Trapped in a world he never made. :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

If one can find a morph for claw feet we'd have most of the aviary.

• I bought the original not knowing what I'd do with him and he has been one of my most fun characters. This one will be a definate buy! Looks great.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

I have the original.  I LOVE this new one!!  Fantastic.  :)  Lots of render ideas already popping into my head.  :)

Agree.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

The theme song from a certain movie is now stuck in my brain. Definitely going into my cart...

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Nice!

Looking forward to seeing the new version in the store!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Oh, awesome!  I have the original Duckie.  It will be nice to give him a brother!  ;)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Mr H looks awesome Joe.  Very nice improvements.  Amazing that you were able to get the feet looking so flat.  I'd almost hate to ask to see a wire frame view of them but I think it would be cool to see! 

PS.. perhaps add in tail feathers?  Will those little wispy hair bits on top of his head be included?

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited May 2017

Sure

wireframe.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 303K
    edited May 2017

Yes, he comes with feather hair and feather eye brows.  I did experiment with tail feathers, but I couldn't get them to look like I wanted.

RAMWolff said:

PS.. perhaps add in tail feathers?  Will those little wispy hair bits on top of his head be included?

• Tanis VoltaTanis Volta Posts: 550

Love it! please make skins, beck and feet add-on for him to do Toucan, Toucans are so beautiful 

toucan.png
    1200 x 904 - 2M
    toucan 2.jpg
    588 x 413 - 20K
    toucan 3.jpg
    610 x 400 - 132K
    toco-toucan5.jpg
    920 x 613 - 212K
    toucan 4.jpg
    750 x 600 - 459K
    toucan 5.jpg
    1824 x 1391 - 464K
    toucan 6.jpg
    367 x 550 - 31K

Interesting, so the nails are just turned off via the surface's.  Fantastic job on reimagining the feet.  WOW!  Totally impressed. 

Would a few well placed planes of various sizes with transmapping work for the tail feathers?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

One nice thing about Genesis 3 is that the nails are extra and turning them off doesn't leave a hole.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Awesome promos! But the most important question is, does he get along well with duckies of the rubber variety?wink

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

An impressive upgrade - and love the renders show-casing him!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Oh, I'll buy, looks fun, & I'll buy you other weird toony type animals too. Although the way the store works I notice new Genesis 3 products and so buy them more often. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833
    edited May 2017

He looks great. Just have to pick him up.

tDuckie05pic01ps03.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 255K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I really have no idea what I'd need the duck for BUT your render convinced me I have to have it lol. @artini

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited May 2017

Just picked him up

Are you going to do a mate for him? (hint hint)wink

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,481

When I load Duckie I get the error that I'm missing kenji 7.dsf. Please advise.

edited May 2017
    Greybro said:

When I load Duckie I get the error that I'm missing kenji 7.dsf. Please advise.

That's not something I've encountered or something that came up in quality assurance.  I'll check it out, but you should file a support ticket.  They're more clever problem solvers than I am. 

EDIT: I think I actually found it.  The eyelashes are looking for the Kenji UV map.  The duck doesn't have eyelash maps, so you can just dismiss the error. An updated version of the product that doesn't generate the error should trickle through QA once I have the opportunity to submit it.

Artini said:

He looks great. Just have to pick him up.

Thanks.  I feel like one of the more subtle improvements is that he just wardrobes a whole lot better than the last version.  The last one tended to chew up pants.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

Getting that darn duck into Carrara yes

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833
    edited May 2017

Thanks a lot, Worlds_Edge and JoeQuick.

He is just adorable and cute.

Post edited by Artini on