How do you Archive your Installed Content without Winzip?

Winzip is expensive.  But there's a tutorial in youtube(for DAZ 4.8) that tells you how to archive your Daz content . But it says "Use a utility that can save recursive path of files".     I have 7-zip and i don't see any options for recursive path so if i just drag the  User/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library ETC(I have 2 locations for content) to 7-zip will that be enough or will it not work?

Here's the link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFa-P5MCa8

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,675

Yes, 7-Zip wills tore the folder structure (which seems to be what they mean). Do note that standard zip has a fairly low, for this purpose, capacity of 4GB (I think, it might even be 2GB) - that isn't enough for many users' content folders.

• nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931

Thanks for the info

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

You can pick up winrar (which is free for a period, then nags you to buy) But it can break up your zip into mutiple parts so no one part exceeds whatever limit you set.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,675

Rob has some sample scripts showing how to handle zips with DS alone http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#archives

There's no need to get WinRar - I'm pretty sure 7Zip handles split zips (I'd just forgotten about that as an option).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I use EaseUS todo Backup. Works well, I've used it to recover - the free version.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

7Zip does do split volume zips but I would not reccomend doing it, it just adds one more thing that can go wrong and end up with a corrupted volume.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 500

7zip FTW!  But honestly I would just back up to a network or external drive and compression would be optional since disk is cheap.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2017

7zip lmza2 best compression is awesome. Beware though, it is kinda slow to compress at that level, lmza2 at meduim is good if you are in a hurry. I use volume splits all the time as well, just remember to tell it exactly how much you want(including units like MB GB etc)! I remember once I typed 200 and came back with a bajillion 200 kb files, when I was shooting for a few 200 MB files haha.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,791
    edited May 2017

7zip FTW!  But honestly I would just back up to a network or external drive and compression would be optional since disk is cheap.

Indeed.  I have a couple of 1 TB drives I use, so I have multiple backups...

EDIT; I was going to recomend Karen's Replicator for backups, but apparently a recent Windows 10 update broke it, and the Author, Karen Kenworthy sadly passed away some years back,  but it should still work if you have Windows 7...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/karens_replicator.html

Post edited by WandW on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,554
    edited May 2017

Posted in error

Post edited by pwiecek on