changing colors in editor mode

samialshahrisamialshahri Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I didn't get the grip of it, yesterday I did change the colors of the cloths but didn't turned out right, today gave it more time, still something isn't right...

I went to Tab Actor, Wardrobe..etc, switched to editor, chose the cloth peice I wish to change it's color, what do I do next?

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2013

I didn't get the grip of it, yesterday I did change the colors of the cloths but didn't turned out right, today gave it more time, still something isn't right...

I went to Tab Actor, Wardrobe..etc, switched to editor, chose the cloth peice I wish to change it's color, what do I do next?

I dont know if you are asking about the same thing I was about to post a problem with- and I'm not trying to hijack your thread- but I am watching the Surface YouTube video (by DAZ)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PzUajlRhJfU#!

and I noticed when they changed the colors, the following were selected:
    1. the Surface Selection Tool
    2. the Surfaces (Color) section
    3. Actors, Wardrobe, and Props
    4. Editor

and I have Texture Shaded selected, (Does it have to be Smooth I think?) and Scene. (Are both these correct for when you want to use the Diffuse Strength?) Does it make a difference to the poster?

I have all the pieces selected, and it is showing the number of pieces selected by the Diffuse color, but when I double click, the clothes dont change color. Is that the problem the original poster is having too?

Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

EEEK. Well, having the Texture Shaded wouldnt do the color, but the Smooth Shaded did the color but the texture went completely POOF. Even turning down the glossy I get this horrid glowing outfit. How do you change the color and keep some of the texture?

Original poster- is this what you are having trouble with? Do NOT want to take over your post- I assumed you were having trouble with the color taking to the outfit too?

Cathie

clothingShader.jpg
    627 x 850 - 888K
    edited February 2013

Recommend this page: http://homepage.eircom.net/~neilvpose/ds-settings.htm

Was helpful- I tried the Specular Strength with the smooth shaded and got it somewhat close to the original.
    Glossiness turned down of course. Am I on the right track here?

Cathie

clothingShader2.jpg
    800 x 551 - 796K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2013

Well, my studio just crashed AGAIN when I went to use the diffuse. Filed a report.

Post edited by Novica on
  • samialshahrisamialshahri Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Woot! thanks for the help it did the trick!

is there a way to take off cloths part, lets say a vest has some shoulder pads and I want them to go away?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you Select the Item in Surfaces Expand it and the Pads are listed as a Material by themselfs just set Opacity for that Material to Zero (0). They will not show in your Viewport or in your Final Render.

edited December 1969

Wow, good morning Jaderail! Whatcha doing up so early?!
    I havent gone to bed yet. As I said, I was doing my VERY first render, the studio crashed (glad I could help the OP, I guess I was on the right track after all)

I am posting a new thread as it's a different topic and you can see how messed up my Studio is acting- funky!

edited December 1969

Thank you again, one more question please...

sometimes I mess around and these option of already made preset cloth color option appears. I can doing it over and over again but I think I am missed something.

Example; the Genesis vest has around 3 other colors aside the dark one, a blue and white. How do I make these option appear.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Use the Surface Selection Tool from the Toolbar, (Alt+Shift+M), and select the material in the viewport that you want to change.

In the Surfaces pane, the material should be selected for you, change the Diffuse colour to whatever you want, then render to see the effect.

edited December 1969

thank you jim, I think my stuido is broken, each time I pick a preset I have to wait for a list to pop out b4 applying it.

I didn't wanted to over do it with the question but one more pls, a preset color model of a cloth can have multi color/desgin let say if I want to match the color of collar with the color design on the front of the vest, would it be possible?

edited December 1969

thank you jim, I think my stuido is broken, each time I pick a preset I have to wait for a list to pop out b4 applying it.

I didn't wanted to over do it with the question but one more pls, a preset color model of a cloth can have multi color/desgin let say if I want to match the color of collar with the color design on the front of the vest, would it be possible?

I am not sure what you mean by "each time I pick a preset I have to wait for a list to pop out b4 applying it."

Can you explain that a bit more? By a preset, do you mean when you are trying to apply a material to an object? Where is this preset exactly, and how are you trying to apply it?

Have you tried using the Surface Selection Tool? It is for specifically selecting material surfaces, and it is a great way to see which ones are mapped seperately, and which ones are not. I you use Surface Selection, and an area lights up yellow, then, the colour of that area can be changed. Simply left click on the area when it is highlighted, and it will automatically be selected in the Surfaces pane for you.

All you have to do then, is select the Diffuse colour, and change it.

edited December 1969

I am sorry am not so familiar with the terminalogy and names, i'll try to be more clear. ok lets see.

if I click and drag one of the icon representing the materials (05_Vest.. etc) on to the object or cloth I want to change it's color it doesn't apply the material right away. I have to wait a few sec for a list to pop up. from top to bottom the list says:

-Defualt Load
    ----------
    -Fit to Vest
    -Fit to Genesis
    ----------
    -Parent to Vest
    -Parent to Vest (area)
    -Parent to Genesis
    -Parent to Genesis (area)
    ------------
    -apply to Vest
    -applu to Genesis

I have no clue what's the difference here between the choices. as long as it get the job done I'm happy but I would realy like to learn.

ok, when I did what you said and went to diffuse color I can make it white black and so on, but lets say I want the metal color in the front of the vest all over the vest instead 50% metal and 50% chain(the dark gray looks like a small chains). how do i do it?

1.png
    1201 x 619 - 427K
    edited December 1969

First of all, when applying the material to the vest, just double click on the icon, no need to drag and drop. Just make certain that you have the vest itself selected in the Scene pane, and the texture will apply.

I see you are referring to the Journeyer Scout stuff, I thought it was a different vest.

To do what you want, you would need to create a texture yourself for the JS Vest. On the Product Page, in the Resources tab, there should be a Template file download for the UV templates. You apply any texture to these maps, and save it with a different name of course.

It is not just as simple as changing the colour, the texture is obtained from a UV map template as shown below.

Untitled-1.jpg
    710 x 684 - 189K
    edited December 1969

sorry am such a noob, I should have been more clearer when asking. please bare with me Jim..

I knew about the maps, but what I was trying to ask was, is it possible to take the texture A and replace it with B? if so then how?

2.jpg
    519 x 500 - 73K
    edited December 1969

Yes, it is possible, but you would need to do it in Photoshop or Gimp or PSP or similar (any 2D paint program)

If it is for your own use, there is no problem with changing the texture to whatever you want, you just can't offer it as a freebie or a paid item. You can't do it inside DAZ Studio that I know of, perhaps with the LIE (Layered Image Editor), but I don;t know how it could be done.

The texture that you want looks like a knitted weave to me, and you may be able to use the original in Photoshop.

You can view the UV Map for the part you want, by selecting it with the Surfaces tool, and then changin from Perspective view to UV View as shown below. It would not be an easy task, but it is doable I think.

Untitled-1.jpg
    804 x 594 - 175K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Another option you have is to use seamless texture shaders. These are designed specifically to be used on any piece of clothing or object. You can find a bunch of them on various sites, including a huge assortment of freebies at sites like ShareCG.com. Go to the freebies forum here and you'll find a whole list of stuff.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

sorry am such a noob, I should have been more clearer when asking. please bare with me Jim..

I knew about the maps, but what I was trying to ask was, is it possible to take the texture A and replace it with B? if so then how?

In case this is what you meant ... instead of just hovering over the image, click on that tiny arrow and you'll get a drop down list. Unless the new texture is listed already, click browse and in the popup window, select the item you want to appear.

browse.png
    283 x 250 - 17K