Does stuffs that requires V4.2 are compatible with V5 ?

kimengumankimenguman Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi All !

Before all : sorry for my english but I'm french.

I'm new with DAZ Studio and I'd like to buy stuffs but I'm wondering if Stuffs that requires V4.2 as for example She Freak V4 are compatible with Victoria 5 or if I need Victoria 4.2 too ?

Thanks a lot !

kimen.

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Hi All !

Before all : sorry for my english but I'm french.

I'm new with DAZ Studio and I'd like to buy stuffs but I'm wondering if Stuffs that requires V4.2 as for example She Freak V4 are compatible with Victoria 5 or if I need Victoria 4.2 too ?

Thanks a lot !

kimen.

You will need Victoria 4.2. Victoria 5 is a Genesis character. Victoria 4 predates Genesis and is a completely different mesh all together.
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You can transfer the morphs to varying degrees using Generation X, a plugin for Daz Studio which allows you to take old morphs and convert them for use with Genesis. It's a bit of a mixed result, as Genesis has a lower poly count, but they tend to work reasonably well.

Clothing items can be autofitted to Genesis and are converted when you fit it to the character. Skirts and boots tend to be a bit off though, so it's not a perfect conversion. In some cases I found myself exporting the mesh as an OBJ and then re-importing it using the transfer utility to retain the shape. Hair tends to work fine, but might need some minor tweaks, and prop hair will need to be parented to Genesis' head to follow it properly.

Other than that, yes, many things are indeed forwards compatible. It's only backwards where things won't generally work.

• kimengumankimenguman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot to you two for your answers !

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

I thought Genesis was compatible "out of the box" with V4?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Genesis is a brand new figure, with completely new rigging, and is not based on V4 at all.

Genesis is UV Mapped to take skins from other figures though, V4, M4 and K4. Gen 4 clothing can be made to fit to Genesis using the Autofit plugin for DS, but there is no direct relationship as such.

edited December 1969

Does the Autofit plugin work automatically (and thus auto-fit) or do you need to do something to make it work?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited February 2013

Scavenger said:
    Does the Autofit plugin work automatically (and thus auto-fit) or do you need to do something to make it work?

Yes, autofit works automatically.

And Genesis suports V4 and M4 UVS.

Morphs, however, require Generation X to convert from Generation 4 to Genesis.

Post edited by wancow on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

What you need to do, is have Genesis selected, then load a piece of Gen 4 clothing. Autofit will then pop up and ask what figure the clothes were made for, and what they are (skirt, shorts, shirt etc), and then it will do the conversion.

If you have the Iconic Shapes for Genesis for the Gen 3 characters, then you can autofit their clothing as well. Buying the iconic Shapes for Genesis adds their clone to the Autofit plugin.

edited February 2013

Long Dresses, however, are a bit more involved. The best way to do them is exporting them to OBJ and using the tranfrer util on them to Genesis, then zeroing out the Genesis morphs, then exporting to OBJ again, and using the transfer util again to fit them to an existing dress, such as the MFD, or, alternatively, this one: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67408/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/New-Dress-Rig

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

Before I crawl back to the new user forum, one more question...is there info about this "transfer utility"? Is it built in? an Add on? something to buy?

edited December 1969

It's built in.

You will find it under: Edit/Figure or Edit/Object