Mac OS compilation and linking

I'm trying to get a plugin on OSX. So far, I've managed to buy a second hand Mac book air, install Xcode, compile the source and I'm now blocked in the linkage part. The Xcode project provided with the samples requires a lib/Mac/framework that is not provided, nor documented. I don't know if I can remove that part from the LD command or if I need to download external libraries (and, if so, what version). Can anyone with Mac compilation experience show me the way?

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 784

Philemo,

Let me ask my son and see if he can answer your question.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175

Thank you Brian. I appreciate your help.

edited May 2017

What linking error are you getting exactly? Have you made sure to install Xcode and the Command Line Tools? Where / what are you compiling? Are you in Xcode or are you doing it from the command line with CMake or something?

A lot of the Apple-provided frameworks are in the folder /System/Library/Frameworks. If it is a external dependency, have a look at macports. Its a command line tool that is much more hassle free to install external libraries rather than compile them yourself manually. Homebrew is also a similar manager, although I've never used it. 

Brian's Son

Post edited by BrianP21361 on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175

What linking error are you getting exactly? Have you made sure to install Xcode and the Command Line Tools? Where / what are you compiling? Are you in Xcode or are you doing it from the command line with CMake or something?

A lot of the Apple-provided frameworks are in the folder /System/Library/Frameworks. If it is a external dependency, have a look at macports. Its a command line tool that is much more hassle free to install external libraries rather than compile them yourself manually. Homebrew is also a similar manager, although I've never used it. 

Brian's Son

Dear Brian and son (sounds like a company name :-) ), I thank you very much for your help.

I eventually found how to solve it.

In the Carrara app, there is a "Frameworks" folder. The idea behind the Xcode project provided by Daz is to copy this folder in the lib/mac folder in the sample folder and everything is working. It would be very efficient if documented :-).

I've started to test. Some compiler/platform issues found so far, but nothing serious.

Philemo,

Maybe pone day we will work together. My son is just heading off to college in the fall. I'm glad you figured it out. Looking forward to your plugin. Good luck.