New Plugin?

PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771
edited May 10 in Carrara Discussion

I've ported this code to Carrara : http://www.martinpalko.com/triplanar-mapping/

Anybody interested?

 

Edit

OSX 64 bits version is here

Windows 64 bits version is here

Post edited by Philemo on
«13

Comments

  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,140

    Oh yes, the problem with trees and branches is a big one for me, especially in closeups, so post work is always needed.

    But I am a novice on plugins... will have to wait for the wiser-ones on here to comment!  Cheers,  yes Silene

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157

    At first look, it seems really useful.  For example, I thought this was great for seams more generally than just for trees.

    "Trees: Tree trunks and branches can be a pain to UV, and their seams are often very noticeable. Use a triplanar shader on them to eliminate seams completely."

    But I will have to ask more questions and do some more careful reading.  For example, I am not sure that I really understand the whole UV part of the application, because they say they are using the global UV as a proxy for something.  Does that make the result scene specific?  Could the result be saved to the Carrara browser and be used in another scene without further adjustment?  Can the Baker plugin be used to create a new texture map for further editing? 

     

    In any case, thanks for your continued interest in potential plugins.  I think I am interested,but it depends as indicated above.

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157
    edited May 4

    Silene and I were typing at the same time.  Interesting that we both were drawn to the issue of seams on trees. 

    Post edited by Diomede on
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 556

    I'd kill for that in DS iray decal nodes.

  • PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771
    Diomede said:

    At first look, it seems really useful.  For example, I thought this was great for seams more generally than just for trees.

    "Trees: Tree trunks and branches can be a pain to UV, and their seams are often very noticeable. Use a triplanar shader on them to eliminate seams completely."

    I'll make some tests on trees.

    Diomede said:

    But I will have to ask more questions and do some more careful reading.  For example, I am not sure that I really understand the whole UV part of the application, because they say they are using the global UV as a proxy for something.  Does that make the result scene specific? 

    I'm using the object local coordinates because I had the same doubts.

    Diomede said:

    Could the result be saved to the Carrara browser and be used in another scene without further adjustment?  Can the Baker plugin be used to create a new texture map for further editing? 

    Yes to both.

    Diomede said:

    In any case, thanks for your continued interest in potential plugins.  I think I am interested,but it depends as indicated above.

     

  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 6,157

    yesyesyes

    .

     

    Philemo said:
    Diomede said:

    At first look, it seems really useful.  For example, I thought this was great for seams more generally than just for trees.

    "Trees: Tree trunks and branches can be a pain to UV, and their seams are often very noticeable. Use a triplanar shader on them to eliminate seams completely."

    I'll make some tests on trees.

    Diomede said:

    But I will have to ask more questions and do some more careful reading.  For example, I am not sure that I really understand the whole UV part of the application, because they say they are using the global UV as a proxy for something.  Does that make the result scene specific? 

    I'm using the object local coordinates because I had the same doubts.

    Diomede said:

    Could the result be saved to the Carrara browser and be used in another scene without further adjustment?  Can the Baker plugin be used to create a new texture map for further editing? 

    Yes to both.

    Diomede said:

    In any case, thanks for your continued interest in potential plugins.  I think I am interested,but it depends as indicated above.

     

     

  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,756

    Very cool Phil!

    I can read that we don't need UV Mapping wich is my main problem in Carrara.

    Hope to try it soon and thanks!

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 16,055

    will it work with Inagoni Baker?

    if so I want!!!

  • PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771
    th3Digit said:

    will it work with Inagoni Baker?

    if so I want!!!

    It works, but only if the model is UVed, as Baker is UV based.

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 16,055
    Philemo said:
    th3Digit said:

    will it work with Inagoni Baker?

    if so I want!!!

    It works, but only if the model is UVed, as Baker is UV based.

    oh cool, I like getting seamless textures on my badly UV mapped models using proceedurals and this could prove another easier way to achieve the same thing because not all UV mapping is good UV mapping that can use nice premade textures.

  • PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771
    DUDU said:

    Very cool Phil!

    I can read that we don't need UV Mapping wich is my main problem in Carrara.

    Hope to try it soon and thanks!

    Same for me. I cannot UV map anything remotely complex. That's the main reason I used that code.

    Next plugin project, if I can make it work in Carrara will be on the same subject : http://www.riken.jp/brict/Yoshizawa/Research/Param.html

  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 490
    edited May 5

    I'm still trying to understand the mapping type where each face gets assigned to a seemingly random area in the map (per face tile?). I don't believe Carrara offers this as an option, but maybe I'm wrong here.

    I do understand that the face is projected by its normal, however, this seems completely incompatible with any other projection method.

    I read through the docs for Ultimate Unwrap and it appears to be possible to change that to another projection, but I am not clear how that is done. Is it possible to convert a map like this for use in an application that does not support it?

    EDIT:  I guess I skipped over the part with how this was relevant to the topic. These "per face tiles" (if that's even the standard name for a map of this type) can be produced by a 3d scanning or a 3d photogrammetry application. The resulting map is essentially seamless because of how the scanning averages out the texture; however, its basically non-human readable when there are millions of faces, like confetti or white noise.

    Could triplanar-mapping be converted from this "per face tile" type of map ... there does not seem to be a way to to easily do it with another mapping type because the each face produces a separate small map contained with the overall texture map with normals that don't correspond to a standard mapping type.

    Not sure if this makes any sense?

    Post edited by cdordoni on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534

    So... how would this be implemented in Carrara, as a top-level shader enhancement, like the other mapping methods?

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,619

    certainly looks good, thanks again Philemo :) great that you are improving Carrara - really appreaciate it !

  • StezzaStezza Posts: 2,825

    +1

  • PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771
    edited May 5

    The Windows 64 bits version of the plugin can be downloaded here. Copy the 3 files from the zip file to the "Extensions" directory of Carrara 8.

    A short demo:

    I'll try to have the OSX version for next week.

    Post edited by Philemo on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,756
    edited May 5

    WOW! Very promising!

    I guess one can use it in the displacement channel too...

    Thanks, MERCI!

    Post edited by DUDU on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,756

    Work perfectly!
    One thing only: if the shape of the meshe is modified, the bump Chanel must be re-initialized to remove the artefacts (back to “None” then re-select “Triplanar").

    I don't know what about a morph target.
    Very useful Plugin, thank you again!

  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 556

    So jealous.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534
    head wax said:

    certainly looks good, thanks again Philemo :) great that you are improving Carrara - really appreaciate it !

     

    Stezza said:

    +1

    +1!!!

    Philemo... You So Totally ROCK!!!

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,534
    Philemo said:

    The Windows 64 bits version of the plugin can be downloaded here. Copy the 3 files from the zip file to the "Extensions" directory of Carrara 8.

    A short demo:

    Awesome video tutorial

    I'll try to have the OSX version for next week.

    Wait a minute... this is finished for Windows. Are you tellig me this is a Free plugin? 

    Free or not free... this thing looks fantastic! You've just answered my earlier question with this amazing video tutorial. Been working outdoors (heavy stone season again) all day, and now I have to go play drums - so I didn't get a chance to try it yet... which is a real shame! I probably shouldn't have come here yet - now I'll be trying to play my drums, but thinking about all of the cool ways I'll be able to experiment with Triplanar projections! 

    Something funny about this whole thing.

    If one would go back through some of the UV Mapping threads around here, some folks might notice that this (automated process via shader) is very similar to how I approach mapping UVs! I look at the faces and project the nearest planar mapping to them, then I correct by hand-manipulating the edges furthest from an acturate planar projection first, then working my way through.

    This is really awesome. Especially for projects where we just want to build a quick model, shade it and move on! 

    Bravo!

    And Thank You!

  • VarselVarsel Posts: 489

    Hey,this looks interesting. Have to wait until monday before I can try it.

     Why does all this funny things always happen in the weekends.. wink

    Great work yes

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 5,619
    edited May 5

    Hey thanks Philemo, works a charm, :) :) !!!!!

     

    This is an organic shape from 'organic' in the modelling room!

     

    cheers! Carrara is lucky to have you.

     

     

    Doc2.jpg
    2556 x 1340 - 361K
    Post edited by head wax on
  • YofielYofiel Posts: 182

    I've been wanting something like this for years! thank you VERY MUCH!

    Unfortunately I just started 3d modeling in university, so of course now I am learning Maya. First I am struggling with using the ALT key to move the view, and discovering how lazy I became about using both hands. I'm kind of sad because I slowly got a huge library of extensions and textures in Carrara over the years, and I am going to miss all the stuff, especially Inagoni and Fenric's. 

     

  • JamyJamy Posts: 134

    Bravo !

    J'attends avec impatience la version Mac ;-)

  • PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771

    @Dartanbeck , Yes it's free as in "Free beer" As i said, I've ported the code of a Unity shader by Martin Palko, and it wouldn't do to sell someone's else code.

    @Jamy C'est quasiment là. J'ai eu un petit plantage dont je voudrais identifier la cause, mais c'est tout. Je publie probablement demain.

    @head wax  Nice picture, thank you for posting

    @Jimbow Do you think there is a market for an Iray shader doing that? Forget what I just said about not selling someone's else code :-)

  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 556
    Philemo said:
    @Jimbow Do you think there is a market for an Iray shader doing that? Forget what I just said about not selling someone's else code :-)

    A soft blend cubic projection? I want it.

  • MDO2010MDO2010 Posts: 1,288

    Wow! Thanks so much for this @Philemo.  I've been playing with the triplanar projection in Substance Painter lately and was just thinking about how much I'd love to have it in Carrara, and along you come with this! laugh

  • PhilemoPhilemo Posts: 771
    Jimbow said:
    Philemo said:
    @Jimbow Do you think there is a market for an Iray shader doing that? Forget what I just said about not selling someone's else code :-)

    A soft blend cubic projection? I want it.

    I've had a look into MDL specification. It doesn't look very different from Unity shader language. Mind you, as I'm not a studio user, it might be commercial.

     

  • th3Digitth3Digit Posts: 16,055
    Philemo said:
    Jimbow said:
    Philemo said:
    @Jimbow Do you think there is a market for an Iray shader doing that? Forget what I just said about not selling someone's else code :-)

    A soft blend cubic projection? I want it.

    I've had a look into MDL specification. It doesn't look very different from Unity shader language. Mind you, as I'm not a studio user, it might be commercial.

     

    make the blighters pay I say so you can do more Carrara goodies for us yes

Sign In or Register to comment.