Community needs - models in high demand.

artofnickartofnick Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What kind of items sell best in the Daz3d community?
What kind of items does the community need/want, both category and specific?

I'm just interested, because I was thinking I'd start with some sci-fi guns and an escape pod, but if they don't sell / nobody wants them, why bother. I'm just getting to know my clientele.

Thanks.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558
    edited December 1969

Best to start out letting the public know what you can do. Start with some freebies and work your way up. design for yourself starting out. If what you are developing is not something you are interested in, your heart won't be in it.

There are lots of sci fi guns out there and a few escape pods. There is always a need for clothing.

• artofnickartofnick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm a contract object modeler for EA on The Sims and previously through an indie studio Smart Bomb Interactive. I can make most anything, but my character work is a bit lacking. Still need to work on photo realism.

artofnick.wordpress.com
    blindsyte.deviantart.com

edited December 1969

I'm thinking I'll start with something easier just to familiarize myself with the Daz pipeline.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Male/female dress uniforms. We could really use a sort of generic mix-and-match type for Genesis which allows for multiple looks.

edited December 1969

Do costumes have to be custom made to fit an exact character template or just Victoria type base model? Does it use some kind of deformation file to fit it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Clothes need to be made to fit the base figure, then morphs applied to fit additional shapes. If making for Genesis it is possible to model around a morphed figure and then reverse that from the shape when rigging, but it introduces some extra fiddling.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

As there are so many people already making props and clothing, perhaps making environments may be a way forward.
    High quality ready made environments for people to put their models into would be a winner.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As there are so many people already making props and clothing, perhaps making environments may be a way forward.
    High quality ready made environments for people to put their models into would be a winner.

There are actually 253 products that come up just in the landscape category in the DAZ 3D store, without using any other search term. Environemnts is a large category, with quite a few sub categories.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

Environments is something that you always lack (no matter how much you have).
    Old European town streets with different options for countries on signs and shop names. I know there are some here but I at least need some more. Good presents for those to quickly get a good scene around your characters is also welcome.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,126
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, you could be onto something there! ;)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2013

chohole said:
    There are actually 253 products that come up just in the landscape category in the DAZ 3D store, without using any other search term. Environemnts is a large category, with quite a few sub categories.

Which is really small when compared to clothes and props. :)
    More so when you've taken the Cyclorama/Skybox backdrops types away.

I was thinking more along the lines of Stonemason's excellent work. :)

ETA: And of course Jack's excellent works too. :cheese:

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited February 2013

chohole said:

Which is really small when compared to clothes and props. :)
    More so when you've taken the Cyclorama/Skybox backdrops types away.

I was thinking more along the lines of Stonemason's excellent work. :)

ETA: And of course Jack's excellent works too. :cheese:

Other vendors are available (and providing some excellent work as well). Have you see Art Collaborations newish Dungeon set, for example.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Yes, but we need a decent masculine outfit selection still. How many of those exist for Genesis? Environments can be mixed and matched and work with any character. :(

I realize there just isn't as much variation in men's clothing to begin with, but come on, a three piece suit, a tuxedo, more vintage suit styles from 1900-1950 instead of jumping all the way back to the Renaissance...and they'd work for the gals too with Genesis.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited February 2013

Ive only been here a year but in terms of clothing Im thinking trends come and go somewhat.
    I have been doing mix and match casual female clothing (since people were asking for it a while back), but recent sales are now suggesting to me that people dont want it so much anymore, so Im putting the brakes on it and will be trying something else instead. :P
    I think it can often be very hard to predict what will be successful or tank.
    Ultimately you need to find a niche that will be in demand - but that always changes over time. The only way to really find out is to bite the bullet and submit your first product.

The only prop i did so far was the railway carriage - and that has outsold all but 1 of my clothing sets. :)

Post edited by Dogz on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    The only prop i did so far was the railway carriage - and that has outsold all but 1 of my clothing sets. :)

LOL - the railway carriage is the only thing of yours I haven't bought yet.

Sorry to hear about need to change tac, but business is business so you just gotta go with the flow I suppose... I seem to remember when I first started using 3D products that someone did say there's so much "slutwear" for Victoria because that's what sells the best. Fingers crossed you'll get bored one week and do some more real life style mix-n-match magic :)

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

Im sure Ill come back to it at some point, tbh its not just sales, you also get a bit burned out doing stuff in the same vein for too long anyway.
    Oh and thanks for your support Jabba, it means alot :)

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

If you or anyone else can make it, I would swoon over clothing from the Edwardian period. For movie and TV references, look at the first season of Downton Abbey, the movies Titanic, The Great Race, My Fair Lady, and Room With a View. I would also love pioneer type clothing, not fancy hoop skirts from the victorian era, but the plainer clothing worn in that era. Mountain man type clothing is good also, the type trappers and prospectors wore. The only clothing I can find of that type is for Gen3 figures. Sets and environments fitting those eras are good for me also.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

artofnick said:

Cows.

Everybody needs more Cows!

And Naughty Skankwear Sets for the Cows always sell out (I know they are sold out, because there are none left in the store!)

When The Millennium Cow is released, all human figures will be discontinued, as they will become obsolete.

You need to make Cows.

Trust me.

cowjump.gif
    512 x 512 - 385K
    cowavatar.gif
    128 x 128 - 67K
    edited December 1969

Ameesa said:
    If you or anyone else can make it, I would swoon over clothing from the Edwardian period. For movie and TV references, look at the first season of Downton Abbey, the movies Titanic, The Great Race, My Fair Lady, and Room With a View. I would also love pioneer type clothing, not fancy hoop skirts from the victorian era, but the plainer clothing worn in that era. Mountain man type clothing is good also, the type trappers and prospectors wore. The only clothing I can find of that type is for Gen3 figures. Sets and environments fitting those eras are good for me also.

Have you found this thread yet.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10234/

edited December 1969

artofnick said:

Cows.

And Naughty Skankwear Sets for the Cows always sell out (I know they are sold out, because there are none left in the store!)

When The Millennium Cow is released, all human figures will be discontinued, as they will become obsolete.

You need to make Cows.

Trust me.
    Millennium Cow? What about the Genesis Cow? Is everyone just pretending this figure doesn't exist anymore?

edited December 1969

artofnick said:

Cows.

You need to make Cows.

Trust me.

Millennium Cow? What about the Genesis Cow? Is everyone just pretending this figure doesn't exist anymore?

Genocide?

I can't speak for everybody, but I'm sure pretending that figure doesn't exist.

Humans are passe, a thing of the past. The future of all 3D Content is Cows!!

The Gods Themselves told me this to be true at out last game of Mahjong.

edited December 1969

artofnick said:

Cows.

You need to make Cows.

Trust me.

Genocide?

:ohh:

The Genesis Cow is a holy relic and should not be spoken of thusly.

You heretic.

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ameesa said:

Have you found this thread yet.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10234/

Ohh no I hadn't seen that, thanks so much for the link. I only discovered the series within the past 2 weeks and watched the first 2 seasons using Amazon Prime. My love of Edwardian clothing stems from the movie The Great Race, and watching Downton Abbey is just increasing my love of the era.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

a three piece suit

Ahem hem hem.

Larger topic: There's always room for another good vendor in basically any category. Find something you can make outstandingly, that looks great in renders, and people will generally buy it.

edited December 1969

a three piece suit

Ahem hem hem.
    I considered that for the fedora and vest alone, are there any renders where it's not folding/warping along the edges and doesn't have those permanent creases near the elbows though? I can't tell if that's built in or not, and I'd be more interested in it if it had clean lines. It looks too worn/broken in for my purposes right now even with 'new fabric' textures.

Love the square shoulders though.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

a three piece suit

Ahem hem hem.

I considered that for the fedora and vest alone, are there any renders where it's not folding/warping along the edges and doesn't have those permanent creases near the elbows though? I can't tell if that's built in or not, and I'd be more interested in it if it had clean lines. It looks too worn/broken in for my purposes right now even with 'new fabric' textures.

Love the square shoulders though.

The elbow creases are built in. Wrinkles are one of the things that are very mandatory to getting most clothing items accepted, as having them permanently there is more realistic than having them permanently absent.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited February 2013

...unfortunately, what sells the most here are skankwear and highly impractical fantasy/SciFi clothing armour.

...personally I would love to see a classic American transit bus (like a 1960s GM "Fishbowl" or 1950s GM TDH), a traditional English Country Manor, and a correctly proportioned and detailed concert grand piano (like a Steinway D or Boesnedorfer model 290 Imperial).

...don't know why Magento screws up the order of attached pics (this never happened on the old site).

...as it mixed everything up from the sequence I attached them in, the order of pics is:

GMC "Fishbowl" transit bus

English Manor

GMC TDH transit bus

Steinway D Model 9' concert grand piano

steinway_d_model.jpg
    530 x 476 - 87K
    1453bb.jpg
    700 x 449 - 34K
    1501.jpg
    700 x 500 - 29K
    tumblr_m92ldsV8L31rave7fo1_500.jpg
    500 x 414 - 19K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

artofnick said:

Cows.

You need to make Cows.

Trust me.

Genocide?

:ohh:

The Genesis Cow is a holy relic and should not be spoken of thusly.

You heretic.

But...

My tired old system can't run Genocide! The open GL requirements make D|S 4.X unusable!! Can't upgrade the video card drivers, as there is no video card. So I am left out of the whole Genocide Game.

But I can run Carrara and many other high end Video and 3D apps, so I'm not concerned.

Genocide is for humans anyhow.

And I still refuse to believe people prefer humans to Cows for their 3D Art!

pookycow.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 485K
  • sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

How about some fantasy skimpwear? There never seems to be enough of that.

But seriously, what I find a dearth of is realistic clothing and props that you see every day. The Dream Home series only aimed at how ordinary people live, for example. Or clothing for ordinary middle aged people who don't spend their lives out clubbing or fighting vampires. How about a modern SUV or any vehicles that a family would own.
    How about realistic historical clothing? Some of the early stuff for the characters before gen3 looks good, but needs updating. If you think about creating a scene in a certain time and place, what would you need that isn't available? Buildings, hair styles, clothing, props, grounds, and so on. The mundane, rather than the exotic. How about a variety of tack or harness that can be used to link horses and wagons, coaches, etc. Musical instruments? Equip a band or orchestra or string quartet and provide the proper setting.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    The only prop i did so far was the railway carriage - and that has outsold all but 1 of my clothing sets. :) Haha! That railway carriage is on my wishlist. I think you've got about the only modern day train prop on the market at the moment.

But...

My tired old system can't run Genocide! The open GL requirements make D|S 4.X unusable!! Can't upgrade the video card drivers, as there is no video card. So I am left out of the whole Genocide Game.

But I can run Carrara and many other high end Video and 3D apps, so I'm not concerned.

Genocide is for humans anyhow.

And I still refuse to believe people prefer humans to Cows for their 3D Art!

This is a man who truly loves cows. I think at least 99.9% of your posts makes reference to them at least once. Still I have to admit that animals are one of the lesser trod roads in the marketplace. There are plenty of creatures available, sure, but very few of them recent and not quite as much variety in terms of poses, morphs or texture additions.

I still need some decent pu... err, cats. Got the millennium cat in my wishlist at the moment, but Town Girl and an absolutely adorable vintage dress for K4 seized my gaze so the poor kitty's been put on hold for now.