How do I orbit the camera on one axis only?

I want to orbit the camera but it seems the only way you can do this is with the freehand tools in the viewport (see image attached), which means moving the camera can only be as precise as your wobbly hands!

Is there anything in the parameters that allows you do this with precision? I note that there are options to rotate the camera (which is NOT what I am looking for), but none for orbiting, as you can do within the viewport. 

Another option I would like to consider is whether is a way to orbit the camera in one AXIS only.

Many thanks, TM

Capturedaz.PNG
1052 x 1000 - 332K

Comments

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

1. create a null object for camera focus

2. select the camera under Parameters General > Misc group you can find Point At - set it to point at the null object

3. place or parent the null object to anything you like in the scene the camera will always focus on the null

4. you now can select the camera in the viewport and use the default 3D scene navigation - the camera will orbit around the null focus now

5. you can also select the null and translate it with the universal tool while looking thru the camera so the camera will follow

6. select the camera go to Parameters Transforms and lock the desired rotation axis parameter so the camera dont rotate in that direction anymore

• TreyMTreyM Posts: 39

1. create a null object for camera focus

2. select the camera under Parameters General > Misc group you can find Point At - set it to point at the null object

3. place or parent the null object to anything you like in the scene the camera will always focus on the null

4. you now can select the camera in the viewport and use the default 3D scene navigation - the camera will orbit around the null focus now

5. you can also select the null and translate it with the universal tool while looking thru the camera so the camera will follow

6. select the camera go to Parameters Transforms and lock the desired rotation axis parameter so the camera dont rotate in that direction anymore

Perfect. Thank you (and sorry for the delay in responding to you)