Daz Studio crashes when I change the "look at" parameter

avmorganavmorgan Posts: 205

[Daz Studio crashes when I change the "look at" parameter] I don't know if this is a known issue, or a peculiarity of my own system, but it's happened often enough I'm thinking I should submit a ticket. Just in case there is an explanation/fix already posted somewhere, however, I thought I'd mention it here. 

The problem seems to arise when I have a character's eyes set to "look at" a camera, and then, later, need to change their eyeline to something else in the scene. I think a couple of times, I tried to delete the camera, and Daz still crashed when I tried to set the "look at" parameter. Does this happen to anyone else?

AFIK, I'm running the most current version of DS, and I was not able to find a related topic on Google. If no one here knows anything about this, I'll open a ticket and then come back to post if or how the issue gets resolved. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• You can check which version of DS you are running in Help>About Daz Studio

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

I have almost the same issues if I set the Point At for the eyes. I'm using 4.9.3.166 - 64bit.

Normaly once set - the Point At function works for me in most cases. But if I change it to point at something else also if I choose None DazStudio crashes. I can't say if this always happens but lately I save my scene before I change the Point At parameter because it happens far to often so I would say its not a totaly random crash.

I usualy use a null object for the eyes Point At target. While I scrup to the timeline frames with diffrent figure poses to Point At function dosn't always update and I have to move the null target to have a Point At update and the eyes look at the target again.

• I thought there had been an issue and it was fixed, before 4.9.3.166. Since that is apparently not the case, at least for the two of you, please open a Technical Support ticket to report it.

• avmorganavmorgan Posts: 205

You can check which version of DS you are running in Help>About Daz Studio

If it helps, then, I've got: v.4.9.3.166 64-bit -- where would I find out what the most recent version is? (I assumed DIM would keep me current, but you know what they say about that word...)

I have almost the same issues if I set the Point At for the eyes. I'm using 4.9.3.166 - 64bit.

Normaly once set - the Point At function works for me in most cases. But if I change it to point at something else also if I choose None DazStudio crashes. I can't say if this always happens but lately I save my scene before I change the Point At parameter because it happens far to often so I would say its not a totaly random crash.

I usualy use a null object for the eyes Point At target. While I scrup to the timeline frames with diffrent figure poses to Point At function dosn't always update and I have to move the null target to have a Point At update and the eyes look at the target again.

Yep, I've had the same problem chainging the focus to "none". I only remember it happening when I take the focus off a camera, but I'll watch for it happening with other focus changes. As for using a null focus, I noticed it didn't always track properly, but moving the null or disabling and re-enabling the "look at" would get the eyes back on target. 

I'll open a ticket and refer back to this thread, Richard. Thanks!

• Yes, that's the current version. Since this does seem to be an issue please make a bug report by openign a Technical Support ticket.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

This issue is still crashing Daz, four years later.  Trying to change from constraint null to "none" on lower neck, Daz crashes to desktop every time.  Removing the null it also CTDs. 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,964

Robinson said:

This issue is still crashing Daz, four years later.  Trying to change from constraint null to "none" on lower neck, Daz crashes to desktop every time.  Removing the null it also CTDs. 

It has been fixed for the next release. No timescale on that though.

• jnwggsjnwggs Posts: 89

DoctorJellybean said:

Robinson said:

It has been fixed for the next release. No timescale on that though.

It is the end of November 2021 and it still crashes randomly. I found that if I have two people looking at each other, I have to change an eye to none, then save. Then, if I try another eye it may or may not crash. The next time I load the scene the last eye is ok and I can try setting another one, then quickly save. And so on. For two characters, this means four crashes before you get past all of that. Once you get past it all though, that particular scene might let you make numerous eye point at's before it will start crashing again. Or it will continue to crash/freeze randomly for a while. Hopefully, having had four years to work on the issue, they'll have this figured out in the next update. Maybe, although I'm not hopeful, they'll even have the issue of Puppeteer being extremely erratic movement with Genesis 8 characters. I have to remove the eyelashes to even be able to half-ass use Puppeteer with GF8 or GM8 for movement.