Exporting only a part of a model as an obj

Hello!

I have a very nice full body morph, but I would like to spare the head morphs out.

Doing that is not as easy as I expected.

What I've tried now was to export only the head of Genesis 2 as an obj before I apply any morphs.

Then I applied the full body morph and wanted to put back the original head shape by choosing "Edit"->"Figure"->"Geometry"->"Update Base Geometry", "Update Vertex Positions" and load the exported head obj.

But when I try to do that, it tells me "The loaded geometry does not match the geometry it is updating. Vertex and facet count must be the same".

I investigated a little more and found out that it doesn't even work when I don't have my morph applied.

I then took a look at the exported head obj and noticed that it's not only the head, but the entire figure.

When I accidentally forget to select anything in the hierarchy and export as an obj, the obj is empty, so I thought the export function was also sensitive to the object (for example just the head) that I have currently selected.

Could anybody please tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Or if somebody has any other idea how to "mask" a part of the body from a full-body-morph, I would be really glad to hear it.

Thank you!

Post edited by johann.hesters_2e9dd0ece9 on

Comments

• The morph OBJ and the figure OBJ must match, as morph loading works by comparing the location of a vertex in the morph with a vertex in the base and storing the difference (if any). In Morph Loader pro there are now attenuation options, so you could load your OBJ and set it to apply to only the desired areas by the bone weight map or you could add a dForm to the figure, assign a weight map, and give that weight map non-zero values where you want to apply the morph.

• Hi @RichardHaseltine !

Thank you for your message, but I don't understand it. The morph is a regular HD DAZ morph, sorry, I don't know what to call it otherwise. The only obj that I have is my attempt to save only the head of Genesis 2.

Could you please tell me what exactely you mean by "morph OBJ" and "figure OBJ"?

Thanks!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The mesh of your morph must match the mesh of the figure you're applying it to (number and order of vertices), so you have to morph the complete figure,  Morph loader can use a weight map to have the morph only apply to certain parts.  You need to sculpt your morph using the base resolution figure, not the subd'd figure.

• @Fixmypcmike

It's a morph I bought from the asset store. I thought that morphs (no matter if they are "HD morphs" or not) would keep the mesh as it is and only move the vertices around and perhaps change the normal map.

So I don't think that the morph will change the number of vertices, right?

• If it's an HD morph then there's nothing to be done, I'm afraid - we don't have the tools to manage or load those.

• @RichardHaseltine

Thank you. Do you have any suggestion for me?

• The only possibility I can see, if the neck is mor-or-less unchnaged, is to use two figure - have only the head bones visible on one, all but the ehad bones on the other, and fit the one with the HD morph to the one without.