Selectively wet clothes...

nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
edited April 2017 in Art Studio

What would be the best bet for making a portion of a given garment garment look wet, or the whole of a given garment wet, with fine-tuned control?  And maybe also make the portion of the garment that's wet also be translucent?  One example of this being, say, someone splats you in the shirt with a watergun, or part of your pants get slimed by the alien slime-monster.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Art Studio as it's a technique question, not a product suggestion. It could also go to the application forum for the application you are using - if you want that, just click the gear icon to edit the first post and then select the desired fiorum from the button over the title.

This is probably going to come down to create a mask image for the wet areas (black for wet, white for dry or vice versa) and using that to control surface properties.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404

You need to create a transparency map in a photo editing program, like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP, and then import that into the opacity channel of the clothing's surfaces. 

• Ah, I was figuring there was some sort of add-on package for DS that would let me apply a wetness-zone in-scene dynamically...  say, something that would let me attach a zone of wetness ONto the surface of a garment, then grab the edges of it and spread or narrow it as needed.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
    edited April 2017

Okay, I've tried looking around at several different garments' layout-texture files, the graphical image that represents what part of the 2D texture applies to what part of the 3D object (i.e. Jerry's Slacks) and it appears no two makers-of-clothes use the same layout.  I forget what the technical term for it is when some 3D object in, say, Blender has been painted onto, and Blender peels that graphical image off the object and lays it out flat onto a 2D image... but some 2D-laid-flatifications are harder to puzzle out what part goes to what place on these than others.

I don't want to spend a couple hours trying to second-guess what part of that 2D bitmap image represents what part of the garment (is that rectangular strip the back or the front of the leg, and which leg is which in that?) or determining it from trial and error, I just want to lay an object down across the left leg of hapless Johnny (where he's posed in world, being dragged away by the blob-moster) and tell the computer "Add a wet-splotch HERE to his pants, shaped like THIS object...." so that it matches exactly the shape and position of Alien Blob Monster's wet, sloppy tentacle across Johnny's slacks.... and the program then spits out the relevant mask image texture to be placed into my runtime.

Or is there a relatively inexpensive (i.e. $ or low $$, rather than $$$$) paint program that takes the 2D bitmap and the 3D garment-object that its meant to be applied to, and converts that back into something I can look at from all sides and paint directly onto, or at least tells me visually what part in the 2D-laid-flatification goes to what part of the pants object, and vice versa?  I.e. if I drag an image across the 2D-laid-flatification, it shows it also moving correspondingly across the related surfaces of pants object?  Or I mouse over the pants object, it hilights that part of the 2D-laid-flatification?

There's gotta be a quick and easy way to nail the part of the garment I want to nail, conveniently and intuitively.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • Blender can be used for 3D painting, for free. As long as the whole model uses only a single, non-overlaping UV tile then the Indie version of Substance Painter 2 is fairly affordable. Next up from that is probably 3D Coat.

• Well, once I finish working my way through the two teach-yourself-Daz-Studio books I have here, my next teach-yourself book purchase will be one on Blender.  :)

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to take a DS garment mesh into Blender to do new clothes and/or to mod the existing textures?