Question about Darkseal's products

dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

Does anyone know how well Darkseal's items work in Daz?  It looks like pretty much everything is for Poser, but there are several items I would like to get, IF they can be imported into Daz reasonably easily.  

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

If it says it's for something like Poser 7 and earlier it should be okay. Apart from the usual need to tweak materials. I think it was something ike Poser 8 or 9 which went to weightmapping and has compatibility issues.

• I haven't tried some of the newer weightmapped stuff for Poser...

However, what I do have of his stuff does work.

In particular, the standalone figures: Boon, Soul Sucker, and the Rift Walker. No problems with those. Yeah, some conversion of the surfaces if you use Iray, but it's not overly complicated. (Boon is more complex than Soul Sucker or Rift Walker if you are talking about Iray conversions... at least if you want to do a good job with it, anyway.)

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

Definitely looking at Iray conversions, I use Iray on all of my renders.  Converting products to Iray is something that's been on my list to learn though, so I may go ahead and bite the bullet and get the ones I'm looking at.  Just have to decide on what new release to get with them for the discount, today's batch are rather uninspiring.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
    HorusRa said:

I'm seeing no 'Add to Cart' button. surprise

Doh, I hadn't noticed that.  If you use the quick add button on the list page they add to the cart correctly

• dragotx said:

Definitely looking at Iray conversions, I use Iray on all of my renders.  Converting products to Iray is something that's been on my list to learn though, so I may go ahead and bite the bullet and get the ones I'm looking at.  Just have to decide on what new release to get with them for the discount, today's batch are rather uninspiring.

I believe it's "Any" new release. Adding Dominator Robot to my Cart lowered the price, which is an amazing deal if you have PC+ stuff you want to get.

Time to look for a Daz Original that I want...

edited April 2017
    dragotx said:

I believe it's "Any" new release. Adding Dominator Robot to my Cart lowered the price, which is an amazing deal if you have PC+ stuff you want to get.

Time to look for a Daz Original that I want...

Oooh, gonna have to try that, thanks! *edit* Just verified it just has to be a new release, adding a PC+ item instead still gets the discount.  Plus it opens it up for regular new releases too, not just the ones from today.  Awesome!

Post edited by dragotx on
  • KinichKinich Posts: 857
    edited April 2017

1. I'm seeing an 'Add to Cart' button, when first up at DAZ Midnight it was a a bit messed up, but that is normal, if you're still not seeing the button a page refresh might help, EDIT - sorry misunderstood, I am also not seeing button on individual pages but promo page and catalogue view do show buttons that work.

2. I also already have some Darkseal items, purchased elsewhere and what I have (Pet Slime, Winged Eye, Alien Podz, & Rift Walker - not DS converted at this time) do work in DS with surface tweaks, see the Pet Slime below, first is my 3DL SSS conversion, the second from 3DL to Iray via the Uber shader (the spheres are control handles). A note on the slime, I have noticed a slight tear in the mesh below it's right eye on occassions, a simple conversion to SubD (set to 2) seems to cure this.

Slime 01 3DL.png
    1000 x 1000 - 563K
    Slime 01 Iray.png
    1000 x 1000 - 775K
    Post edited by Kinich on
  • HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited March 2019

Post edited by HorusRa on
    HorusRa said:
    Kinich said:

1. I'm seeing an 'Add to Cart' button, when first up at DAZ Midnight it was a a bit messed up, but that is normal, if you're still not seeing the button a page refresh might help.

Still nothing, Iogged out and back in, and then did a hard refresh but still nothing. However, as Dragotx mentioned it does work on the quick add buttons.

Sorry misunderstanding on my part, I've edited my original post, I missed the other answers as I was typing.

Kinich said:

2. I also already have some Darkseal items, purchased elsewhere and what I have (Pet Slime, Winged Eye, Alien Podz, & Rift Walker - not DS converted at this time) do work in DS with surface tweaks, see the Pet Slime below, first is my 3DL SSS conversion, the second from 3DL to Iray via the Uber shader (the spheres are control handles). A note on the slime, I have noticed a slight tear in the mesh below it's right eye on occassions, a simple conversion to SubD (set to 2) seems to cure this.

Awesome, thanks for the samples, that answers my question perfectly!  Now to find some Daz Originals to go with the purchase

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

now i just discovered all this nice darkseal products

but pls tell me, as many of those are poser only, am i able to use them in daz 4.9 ?

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Shouldn't be a problem, granted a few texture adjustments here and there like most Poser stuff...

• Depends on the product, I would say. If its stuff which might be retextured, that "Poser only" should be not problem. Once it's figures or morhps I would be more careful. And of course there are dedicated Poser products like the optimized skin for Pauline, the Poser default figure, which I think is not at all useful with DAZ studio.

• Kevlar31Kevlar31 Posts: 63

Is anyone else experiencing the missing cart button? I can't add SkinnyMan or Soul Sucker as there is no purchase button - I did pick up a couple of other items but those two - Nada!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

This has been reported

Thanks for that!

I did get some into my cart by using the thumbnail page rather than the full store page.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

Is there a secret to triggering the 70% off and $15 deal or is it not working? I have tried a few combinations of 3 items, a new item, and daz item and ... nothing - just the 60% off.

Oh thanks - good tip! I had two items in my cart but when I click on the cart it says it's empty even though it is showing that there should be two items in it! I guess we really did open the DarkSeal! ;)

edited April 2017

Hmm,   I got it to work

I have 3 darkseal items, one of todays new releases and one DO.  the darkseal items have attracted the extra discount and the DO is coming in at zero price as it is under $15.

And adding an extra item usually gets over the empty cart problem, even if you immediately remove it from the cart afterwards.

Post edited by Chohole on

Ahhhh! Ok I'll give it a go! Thanks again!

Okay I decided to pick up some of Darkseal items on sale as I have had some success in the past using his(?) items in Daz Studio and see how it goes, below is a quick conversion & test of the Kiwi.

On the left my quick 3DL conversion, on the right the standard Poser version. Lighting is a single AOA Advanced Ambient Light with the AO Shading Rate set to 4 (default=16)

Notes:

1. The Poser file doesn’t find the .obj file in my installation (I use a custom set of directories to split content and make it easier for me to find, so this might well have an impact)

2. As expected out of the box the Poser mats look very plastic/glossy.

3. Some of the included poses don’t work, Aggressive, Running 1, Running Mid 1 & Flamingo. I’m not sure why if I get a chance I might do a bit of digging

4. The Kiwi Knight armour doesn’t work in DS out of the box, it loads and ‘fits to’ the Kiwi but is scaled all wrong. Parenting the armour to the Kiwi and scaling up to 100% (there are no scale transforms if the armour is not ‘Parented’) seems to work. See the second image below (the armour is using the Poser mats at this point. It does intersect with the wings but a bit of posing should help.

I have attached the Yellow DS Material file & png below for anybody who is interested and wants to play. (the file names should be Yellow 01.duf & Yellow 01.duf.png, and they need to be saved somewhere in your DS file structure, a folder in your Presets folder is a good place)

I’m going to have to go soon as real life is getting in the way of the important DS stuff.

Kiwi DS-Poser.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Kiwi Knight.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 531K
    duf
    duf
    Yellow 01.duf
    Yellow 01.duf.png
    91 x 91 - 7K
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

Well ... I cleared my cart, refreshed my browser, and tried again. It is working now. Thanks.

The is some DS compatibility info in the other thread here:- https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/163941/question-about-darkseal-s-products

I have posted a couple of images and some notes if anybody is interested.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Anyone care to explain how I woke up, saw the NEW ITEMS in the store - yawned at seeing Dragon Ball Z characters, looked deeper and then passed out.

Woke back up in shock, searched under the couch for loose change- then got angry seeing POSER on so many items, got happy when I realized there might still be hope of using them =

Scanned the product list- got angry at the lack of details, promo pictures, descriptions....

Got even madder when I see how (old for older characters - they are) 

got excited when I saw the AWESOME BUNDLE DEAL

Then was driven crazy by the "No Cart Button"

..and now just sitting still realizing I need to rob a bank today, somehow someway....

--------------------

These figures are awesome! The cartoon edge adds an...edge......I'm losing my mind at the aspect of adding this look with AEON SOUL's stuff(s).

It's like a match made in heaven...

I can't wait to check later when it's been sorted...

um...taking screen shots just in case....lol....

-----------

So many questions.....

1) How will it look with standard, serious characters (proportions and such)

2) Who is DARKSEED and where have they been- that THIS shows up now- all at once...?

3) Can the POSER stuff be..posed? (the ones that say rigged)

4) HIS CENTAUR (did he know? lol) How will it mix with the new one? Wear the new armor? Inter-mix and mingle?

5) WHAT DOES THE BALL JOINT FIGURE LOOK LIKE? Can it be dialed up and down for the amount of ball-jointedness..? lol

6) All those early character names- is that all Geneisis 1 or Genesis 2? And will "Wear them All" fix this whole list of items?

7) Where can I get the money to afford all of this?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

1. - depends

2.-Content paradise rendo possible elsewhere.

3. as long as its not Poser weightmapped.

4. its a standalone figure nothing to do with the new centaur for G3M

5.sorry no idea.

6.No not Genesis at all - either pre Genesis, standalone, or for the figures that come with Poser

Darkseal used to sell on Renderosity & Rendererotica(the naughty side of Poser/Daz, this is a very very adult site and should be treated as such, even the landing page is not suitable for minors or those offended by such things). Not sure if he(?) still does sell on both of these but there is some adult stuff that is understandably not available here, and I think I remember some other things I'm not seeing here, spacecraft?

He(?) is a Poser artist so nothing beyond V4/M4 that I know of, a lot of the stuff is standalone, I have posted a couple or renders and some notes in the other thread as that one started first, but if this one takes over I'll post some stuff here as I'm working on some of the bits I picked up earlier today.

Of course now that the stuff is available here we might see DS Genesis 3 stuff but who knows.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

You skipped 7, the most important question of all...

So...as I read it,

This one says Please note: this product require's Poser's Alyson 2. https://www.daz3d.com/bioskinforalyson2 ;

I have Poser 9 or such. That means I can open Alison 2 (from poser) inside of Daz and THEN place this outfit on her? Using the Content Librarian (poser Formats)

And proceed from there? Or is there some Poser to Daz conversion/cloner product I missed somewhwhere that bridges the gap....or....another way?
    I'm asking because this product https://www.daz3d.com/bioskin-for-v4

Is close enough and is for V4, which should work just fine from the" Wear Them All"  helper....

And maybe it's not worth it to work so hard over 1 alyson outfit.

---------

And this one https://www.daz3d.com/boon

That means, as you say, a STAND ALONE figure means I get "That Guy" in that suit?

Nothing else needed to recreate the promo shots? So again, it's brand new male figure, + the suit he's wearing....

And it *should* import or open in Daz?

lol so many concerns........

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

The Evil Vine was for sale at Content Paradise so Darkseal must have been there as well.

There's some really good stuff in this collection and at bargain prices too. Even though there is no add to cart button on the seperate item pages I can put them into my cart with the buttons on the store page. I can use it all in Poser and probably in Studio as well. In Studio it should give me a chance to try out what I've learnt from esha's tutorial on the Iray Uber shader. The great thing about textureing monsters is that no-one can say you didn't make it realistic.