Anyway to do this

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there anyway i can make my char appear as transparent in the render. I mean back portion of char should not be visible.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Turning down the Opacity slider in the Surfaces tab should do that in renders as well as in the viewport.

Is it some other effect you are looking for?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

if it is just the back and not the front you want transparent then you will need a transparency map...Black is fully transparent and white fully opaque...greys semi transparent depending on how dark the grey is.

• edited December 1969

I think i didnt explain it properly.

I am putting a hair on my model head.Now if i render front portion of hair will be seen in render back portion wont.
    Now if i hide the head the front as well back portion of will be visible in the render.
    I only want front portion of hair that would have been visible in render had i not hide that head.

Anyway to do this

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Are you sure that you are rendering here? As in using the 3Delight render engine?

In the Viewport (OpenGL) you can often see through hair as it is made by using a lot of transparency maps, when rendered, it looks correct although in the Viewport it is sometimes looks see-through.

Is that what you mean?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am putting a hair on my model head.Now if i render front portion of hair will be seen in render back portion wont.
    Now if i hide the head the front as well back portion of will be visible in the render.
    I only want front portion of hair that would have been visible in render had i not hide that head.

Anyway to do this

I Think I understand what you are trying to do, although not quite certain why you are doing it.

You want just the front view off the hair, with a blank space where the head would be.

I am not at all certain that you can in fact do that, well not in DS anyway

• JOHNGARRETTJOHNGARRETT Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure you'd have to do it as Szark suggested, by using a transparency map.

You'd need to open the hair texture(s), place solid black over the back part of the hair that you don't want visible.

Next you'd save the image(s) as grayscale, then load them into the opacity channel.

Sometimes with hair there are several parts and pieces so it could be a lot of fidgeting around with it, but I suspect that's your only option outside of postwork.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:

Anyway to do this

I Think I understand what you are trying to do, although not quite certain why you are doing it.

You want just the front view off the hair, with a blank space where the head would be.

I am not at all certain that you can in fact do that, well not in DS anyway

yes thats exactly what i want. So i guess its not possible.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited February 2013

Step 1) Apply UberSurface to the head.
    Step 2) Turn on Fantom on head surfaces.
    Step 3) ????
    Step 4) Profit

Edit: MIsread. You don't want the rear of the hair visible. I'm curious as to what this is for though. If it's for a ghost, then I suggest looking at Poseworks shader set, as it has a ghost shader specifically designed for the purpose.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

If I'm reading what you are trying to do correctly, it seems to me the single best way to accomplish this is to do it in post work, rendering your character to PNG and layering it over the background. Be sure to render your background FIRST and use that background as a backdrop in DS when you render so that when you layer it, your character does not look pasted in...