OT: New Puppy for the Mini-Farm

BluesDragonBluesDragon Posts: 37
edited December 1969 in The Commons

9 week old "Kyra", a beige Great Pyrenees we just got today. Her job is going to be guarding the flocks/herds as her breed has done for centuries. We decided on the name Kyra as a 'derivation' of Valkyrie from the Norse legends.

Kyra-01.jpg
673 x 686 - 394K

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    edited December 1969

Will she be an outdoor dog (as in stays outside) or comes inside from time to time? Has she been house broken?

She is pretty.

• BluesDragonBluesDragon Posts: 37
    edited June 2012

She'll be with us whenever we are outside, but otherwise inside until she is older and knows her territory/animals and we feel she is big enough to start "working". Once she's working, she'll be mostly outside though she will have rights to come in for spells if she wants, especially during the day when it's hot out. She seems house broken as she seemed to signal and waited to pee until we took her outside the first time. We'll see on that one...

It seems she has an 'invisible leash' as she won't stray more that about 5-6 feet from us (in particular whoever is leading) when we walked her around the yard and woods to start getting the smells and range of the territory of the animals she's to protect. So far she seems pretty smart, picking up her name quickly and coming when called.

Post edited by BluesDragon on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

sweet looking - hope she works out

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Aww, she's adorable!! :)

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What a darling. <3 I'd say she's a bright one, just the fact that she has a keen sense to stay together and doesn't want to run off all willie nillie. :D That may change a bit after she gets comfortable and is still a "kid" as that goes . . . but still, once total maturity kicks in, she'll probably be one sharp little cookie when it comes to her duties. LoL Congratulations on your new addition to your family!</p>

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Very beautiful..

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

awe, she is lovely :-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Cute and smart enough to make up for her disability (not being a cat).

• BluesDragonBluesDragon Posts: 37
    edited June 2012

The protection instinct is very deeply imbedded in this breed and they 'know' who belongs and who doesn't. NOT protective in the sense of an attack dog, it is more 'guarding' though they can be very protective of their human 'family' also, especially children. Reading up on them before we got her, they apparently protect even against wolves and bears and will also work in teams where some stay protecting the flocks/herds and others will patrol/scout the outlying areas actively searching out predators.

@Richard, they are very cat friendly. Cats like to curl up and sleep in their thick fur and they don't mind (as long as it doesn't impede their working).

Oh, did I mention that @ 9 weeks she's over 20 lbs?

Post edited by BluesDragon on
  • Fille123Fille123 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

A beauty... :-) Great Pyrenees were on my top list of breeds when I was looking to get a new dog (choice finally settled on a golden retriever). Congrats and may she be with you for many happy years!

• jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

my, she's a pretty one!

• VilianVilian Posts: 281
    edited December 1969

What a beauty! Congrats BD on new family member! Hope you all lead happy long life together ^.^

And please say hello to Nef from me, haven't seen her for a long time ^.^