Carrara can't find a prop/obj ? Replaces it with a cube!

Hya, just started using 8.5 beta and today I get that message:.

"Carrara cant find eg rapier. Do I want it replaced by a cube"

It's only happened the once but I wondered if  any one else have this message?

If so how did you tell Carrara where to look?

I havent reloaded the scene again to see if Carrara remembered.

thanks in advance

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800

I get it all the time ..

when I parent a prop to a genesis 2 figure

after loading I delete the cube and replace with what ever it was in the first place..

it's annoying when things get removed like that.... but you get used to it just like when images and posts get removed.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

ah thanks Stezza , I wonder if the problem can be solved.

Oh I have never ever had a post removed that I can recall! You must be doing something wrong :)

Oh, oops, I rememeber . I had a doublethink ....  once I had a post removed because it was referring to a post that had been referring to another person's post that someone thought might have been removed because it was too self referential. It's kind of a 'post' modern dilemma.

I started listening to 1984 again, but it was too depressing. I didn't realise that Orwell wanted to depress us...

Great image of yours in rhe render thread - the one with the ruler, and t'other, the rodent in the egg. :)

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 319
    head wax said:

Hya, just started using 8.5 beta and today I get that message:.

"Carrara cant find eg rapier. Do I want it replaced by a cube"

It's only happened the once but I wondered if  any one else have this message?

If so how did you tell Carrara where to look?

I havent reloaded the scene again to see if Carrara remembered.

thanks in advance

So if I understand correctly are you trying to open a scene with prop attached to Genesis figure and Carrara said it is missing? I did not see that issue in Windows version of Carrara.

Hi, yes you are correct.

And it is a first for me.

The item was parented to Genesis' hand.

I am on windows.

At least they could have a sense of humour and asked me 'Would I like it replaced by a banana?' - rather than a boring old cube.

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 319

I will see if I can re-produce it; I am using Carrara 8.5.1 Pro Build 19 (64 bit).

I agree some humour will be good :)

edited April 2017

sorry wrong thread

Post edited by Headwax on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812

I get the cube a lot with saved scenes from duf imports.

Parented props from DAZ studio scenes and subsets are notorious for it.

That is upon reloading the saved .car file.

thanks Wendy, so a common problem aye?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    head wax said:

thanks Wendy, so a common problem aye?

if saving DAZ duf format figures with props yes.

I tend to load them new as huge files otherwise, saving shader balls and NLA clips to reapply instead.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I have had this a lot as well, but not recently, and recall it being described/mentioned before as a parenting issue... likely by Wendy!?  Anyways, I just had another bout with it and really noticed it more this time because it happened with Phil's Adrea hair which uses a proxy head vs being grown on the figure.

As I am using Misty's G3 Carrara figures... I parented the  Adrea hair proxies to the heads of two figures (with different styles).  However, I wonder if it occurs if you have another version of your item in the scene with the same name?

I had the hair/head on the female figure, and then I made one for the male with a different colour hair.  The head proxy had the same name in both instances. I was getting the cube thing a lot when I re-opened a saved scene. The female came up a cube, the male head proxy was fine. I renamed the head proxy on each as something different. I also saved it to the browser as an object to easily replace if it goes wonky again.  So far I have not had the problem repeat.

indecision Silene

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I've also had this Missing props issue,. mostly on stuff I've made myself, and used DS to make into conforming figures,or props.

no idea what the cause is,. (apart from DS to Carrara duf format) ...or any solution,. (other than replacing the prop in carrara)

maybe not make props in DS,. since it's only a prop, non conforming,.  ...should work fine in a "normal Carrara scene.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    3DAGE said:

I've also had this Missing props issue,. mostly on stuff I've made myself, and used DS to make into conforming figures,or props.

no idea what the cause is,. (apart from DS to Carrara duf format) ...or any solution,. (other than replacing the prop in carrara)

maybe not make props in DS,. since it's only a prop, non conforming,.  ...should work fine in a "normal Carrara scene.

Hi Andy,  I have Phil's Adrea hair,   https://www.daz3d.com/adrea-hair-for-carrara    

Also as you say, stuff you made yourself... I have had this happen in the past with obj's bought elsewhere or gotten from ShareCG, Sketchfab etc.  I once put a wee boat in a scene and it got stuck in cube-land, then it crashed the whole file and I could not open it. I was getting a nil pointer error message. I thought it was a problem with Deeper as it happened right after I bought it. It was not related to Deeper at all, but got loads of help from Julien Inagoni!!

Took him ages to figure out what the cause was.  He got into the .car file and discovered that my boat object was present twice in the file (once with polygons, once without), and it seems that Carrara has an issue with the edges of the model (it’s running an infinite loop through the edges).

Don't know if that info helps, but there it is.  indecision Silene

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

unflate-able cube 

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

Got it a lot of times... It's a real pain on "that area" when it happens to a meticolously tuned particle emitter...

ah thanks for the responses,

I got it again today with the same prop.... but now I am not parenting props seems to have gone away - but  that's pretty useless :)

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

I guess the answer is - parent the props and pose them, but before closing, just unparent them again.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 2019

I used to get this error often on a particular model. If I'm not mistaken something goes wonky with the source meshes, such that when the scene is reopened all that can be found is the instance, but not the original source. There is something about the way the file is saved that sets this in motion. Once it saves once in a broken state it will remain that way for the life of that particular project file. My suggestion if you have any spare time is to reload the original object from the library and see if it still refuses to cooperate in your next test project. I think the first time it happened to me it was after I made a duplicate of an instance of a hair, thinking it had made a copy of the source as well, such that when I then saved what I thought was a new hair with a source included as expected, it was actually just a shell. Naturally, upem reload ing the scene Carrara could never locate the source so I always got the dreaded cube. Eventually I just stopped using that hair

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221

Yeah, I really think that this rare (for me) occurance is mostly due to something going wrong during a save. Especially if Carrara is having a rough day while the scene is being saved.

I try to make a habit of saving things to the browser as individual elements, so this issue never really left me really off in the dark. For example, My torch with animated flames - bundle everything together and drag it into my Lighting subfolder in the browser. Individual parts I use on my characters, leave them parented when I drag them into the browser. Special FX - into my FX folder they go. 

Like Rashad, I got this for hair before. Some of the duf hair I've used takes forever to load into Carrara for some reason. Once in Carrara it's okay. But those long load times can sometimes cause Carrara to just start having one of those Bad Day sessions, and it won't save properly. When I went through and loaded the hair again, and managed to get it saved, it opened again in Carrara just fine after that - so again, I saved the hair individually into my browser as a car file.

I used to get this error often on a particular model. If I'm not mistaken something goes wonky with the source meshes, such that when the scene is reopened all that can be found is the instance, but not the original source. There is something about the way the file is saved that sets this in motion. Once it saves once in a broken state it will remain that way for the life of that particular project file. My suggestion if you have any spare time is to reload the original object from the library and see if it still refuses to cooperate in your next test project. I think the first time it happened to me it was after I made a duplicate of an instance of a hair, thinking it had made a copy of the source as well, such that when I then saved what I thought was a new hair with a source included as expected, it was actually just a shell. Naturally, upem reload ing the scene Carrara could never locate the source so I always got the dreaded cube. Eventually I just stopped using that hair

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Yes - it seems to work better when saving the elements to the browser. I also started doing that.